Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

You might say it was inarticulate....

I recently saw a Mirror Group Newspapers articulated lorry with the following emblazoned on the side curtain:

Our readers are as articulate as this lorry!

So, not at all, then...
  • Like 1

....here is a good visual guide to articulation types for beginners

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/articult/articult.htm

My oh My!

There is material aplenty in those obscure Frenchy flights of fancy for endless Imaginary Locos.

Supposing other British conservative companies other than the GWR under Churchward had decide to buy in raunchy French stuff?

Nominations please?

dh

taking about an articulated traction engine there was at least a patent for a 4x4 with radial front wheels. i find it a bit too much of a coincidence that this was published in the engineer only a week after Heywood's own article on his 15 inch gauge radial as if inspiration was taken

post-9948-0-80971100-1520117041_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mallets, and the later simple-expansion variants were very successful in the right conditions, but by the early 1930s the Garratt had established itself as the preferred type in almost all conditions, provided that the great length of the unit was not a problem. The various Garratt variants (Golwe, Union Garratt etc) were mostly attempts to either circumvent patent restrictions, or incorporate mechanical stokers (although these were later fitted successfully, there are numerous accounts of the later, biggest Garratts being right on the limits of what was possible to operate)

I recently saw a Mirror Group Newspapers articulated lorry with the following emblazoned on the side curtain:

So, not at all, then...

Typical tabloid misrepresentation, if I may say so....

(No unparlimentary language HERE!!!)

taking about an articulated traction engine there was at least a patent for a 4x4 with radial front wheels. i find it a bit too much of a coincidence that this was published in the engineer only a week after Heywood's own article on his 15 inch gauge radial as if inspiration was taken

Whose design was it? Heywood had known links to Fowler.

• RMweb Gold

So, not at all, then...

Indeed. What current usage refers to as an articulated lorry is, correctly, a semi-articulated lorry or a tractor and semi-articulated trailer.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium

You could add to the list of articulated locomotives the Shay, Climax & Heisler types (and similar concoctions)

All rode on swivelling trucks from a geared steam engine mounted on the boiler/frame unit.

I suppose Bulleid's Leader is also like an articulated loco as both the engine parts swivel in relation to the frame/boiler combo.

Keith

As mentioned earlier the Mallet in the USA grew to such proportions that the length of the boiler made the front overhang excessive on bends. To combat this there were locos built with flexible or articulated boilers. Not my favourite design.

http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/flexmallet/mallet.htm

Is this actually genuine ?

Or a spoof

It looks insanely dangerous.

dh

I read that the bellows filled up with cinders. The ball joint was slightly better in that regard, but essentially the front end was cold and pointless.

No, it contained the superheater and feedwater heater, so it was a working chamber - just not part of the boiler proper. It doesn’t appear to have justified the experiment, though

Edited by rockershovel

A propos various super-large locomotives, one thing that does seem clear is that steaming capacity was a real limitation for older types. The triplex Mallets seem to have been severely short-winded (limited in stamina). The Russian 4-14-4 is reported to have lacked boiler capacity.

Superheating and simple expansion seem to have offered the solution (notwithstanding that the UP had considerable success with its 10- and 12-coupled 3-cylinder compounds)

Actually, it's a pity that steam development stopped when it did, and the locos built by the Big four didn't advance. I would have liked to see the marine type boiler as used on the hush hush paired up with steam turbine drive as used on turbomotive. I read that one of the problems with the boiler was the pulses from the 3 cylinders upset the firing of the boiler as it had been designed for use at sea with turbines.

No, it contained the superheater and feedwater heater, so it was a working chamber - just not part of the boiler proper. It doesn’t appear to have justified the experiment, though

Oh I knew they'd stuffed that in there, my argument was that it was too far from the fire and therefore somewhat cold and there isn't a great deal of point in having a superheater that isn't very warm.

A propos various super-large locomotives, one thing that does seem clear is that steaming capacity was a real limitation for older types. The triplex Mallets seem to have been severely short-winded (limited in stamina). The Russian 4-14-4 is reported to have lacked boiler capacity.

Superheating and simple expansion seem to have offered the solution (notwithstanding that the UP had considerable success with its 10- and 12-coupled 3-cylinder compounds)

The UP 12 coupled locos used Gresley conjugated valve gear too.

• RMweb Gold

Oh I knew they'd stuffed that in there, my argument was that it was too far from the fire and therefore somewhat cold and there isn't a great deal of point in having a superheater that isn't very warm.

Cold being relative in this case.

Like a soldering iron set for lowmelt, too cold for tinman’s solder, but try picking it up by the wrong end...