Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

Length: 31.5cm

Height: 5.7cm

Width: 3.8cm

Specifications are per carriage in OO gauge.

Also, I intend on running the set as a part of a test train, maybe with some of those coaches used to test new stock. Otherwise I'll run the two car set on its own or with an additional set to make a 4 car one.

Will have to measure the plate when it arrives, skewing at an angle may work

• Like 1

For 3D printing , rather than putting the print parallel to the edges put it at 45 degree angle to give more print length

Don't even need to measure, basic maths say my plate would not do something this size

When I come to printing I would dismantle it. (Bodyshells, Chassis frames, Underframe components, Other components). I don't think that would make much of a difference though.

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

When I come to printing I would dismantle it. (Bodyshells, Chassis frames, Underframe components, Other components). I don't think that would make much of a difference though.

No it doesn't unless the sections are split at seams like doors etc or printed in blocks

A hypothetical DEMU for Scotland based on the Mark 2 shell. If the DMBSO had an engine of about 1,100 hp (similar to the 210) and assuming a weight of about 56t, with 4 trailers between a pair of these that's a pretty good power/weight ratio for intercity services.

post-6959-0-11167000-1507862286.jpg

Cheers

David

• Like 12

That DEMU is practical. A GUV underframe, with M6 motor bogies, 4xEE507, a V6 valenta engine with a mk2 body on top. A 57` motor coach with aprox 1200bhp for about 50 tonnnes. The reason for a GUV underframe? They are aleady designed for aa 14 ton paylod, so it aviods redesigning a stronger underframe (it`s also simular to what NR did with their DEMUs, a modern body on top of a older underframe to carrry the extra weight). Apair of these with 5 mk3 between would have given a excellent train for use on the ed-glas shuttles with something aond 10hp/ton.

Just get rid of the end gangways.They were never used, a source of drafts, and fitting a coridor past the engine room limits the engine design.

Not strictly an imaginary loco but another "what if". Suppose WR had remained exclusively hydraulic territory, after the WCML electrification was finished the 50s were transferred to ER to do the same job while ECML electrification was being rolled out. Let's imagine 50001 is allocated to Finsbury Park.

post-6959-0-26293400-1508127069_thumb.jpg

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 2

Not strictly an imaginary loco but another "what if". Suppose WR had remained exclusively hydraulic territory, after the WCML electrification was finished the 50s were transferred to ER to do the same job while ECML electrification was being rolled out. Let's imagine 50001 is allocated to Finsbury Park.

attachicon.gifFP50.jpg

Cheers

David

That is easy enough to be tempting. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not entirely silly ideas. Normal Mark 3s in between.

attachicon.gifEHST.jpg

attachicon.gifHSEMU.png

Cheers

David

Looks nice. What does the pantograph on the driving passenger coach do though?

I remember many years in Modern Railways there was a letter commenting on suggestions of converting HSTs to electric power, pointing out that it would take more than a pantograph, a roll of sellotape and a few "clicky-buzzy" things.

... HST needs to be a minimum of 2+5 to safely travel at 125mph. Using the imaginary Mk3 based DBSO as an end, would a 1+5 HST also theoretically be 'safe' at 125mph?

The need for a minimum number of trailer vehicles must be to supply sufficient brake force. Thus if 2.5 trailers per power car is sufficient, one power car with three or more trailers will be OK.

• RMweb Premium

It's a motor coach of an EMU. :)

Cheers

David

I think perhaps I was over-thinking this one.

It does look nice though.

80xs have pans on the driving vehicles. Likewise 395s. So Hitachi at least do.

Not all that far from what looks like the exhaust from the diesel engine on the adjacent car, which is something I'm not used to seeing.

Looks nice. What does the pantograph on the driving passenger coach do though?

I remember many years in Modern Railways there was a letter commenting on suggestions of converting HSTs to electric power, pointing out that it would take more than a pantograph, a roll of sellotape and a few "clicky-buzzy" things.

That is not as daft as you would think, I remember going an HST course in 1978 and that was mentioned then that it would not be hard to convert to electric traction.....

• Like 1