Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

Yes it is an engineless slug. I hadn't considered leaving the cab as I thought it would have worked between a pair of larger locos, possibly 47s. However there were some slugs in the USA that retained their cabs and were very popular with crews for obvious reasons.

Cheers

David

It has a narrow body so would be marshalled in front of the cab-fitted 20 like a slug or brake tender surely? That would justify the yellow end!

Perhaps the slug version would be lowered like the American ones.

Edited by Suzie

While I was looking for something else, I came across a picture of a model of an NSWGR AC38.  Looks rather like the illegitimate offspring of an AD60 and a C38.  Apparently there was a proposal (probably not a very serious one though) to build such a machine before the C38 was designed and built.  An intriguing machine, but not particularly attractive.  It has a fairly strong resemblance to a Garratt that was built for the Algerian railways.

4b58a8c81bdc42d6096190cab1d3ff3c.jpg

This picture of an Aussie Garratt style loco project prompts me to ask a practical question.

Why is it that Garratts had their outside cylinders at the outer ends of each engine rather than at the inner and thus much closer to the boiler?

I remember Zambian Garratts on near-freezing early June/July mornings leaking copious amounts of steam along their long lagged steam pipes and flexible joints - of course all at boiler pressure.

The big outside cylinder castings incorporating steam chests and piston valves look like they could have cleared the central boiler support girder on curves.

And the net result would have been the same - one engine with cylinders leading, the other trailing - as their pony trucks led each engine into curves.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

The very first Garratt design, K1, did have the cylinders at the inner ends, this must have given some problem as the arrangement was never repeated. Possibly difficulties with arranging the pipes on larger engines as the cylinders would be inboard of the pivots.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

This is different from the previous one. Who can work out what this might be?attachicon.gif20BU.jpgCheersDavid

Just noticed you've deleted the equipment between bogies ,it would need the reservoir tanks or it wouldn't be able to stop. As a road slug it would also require batteries for lighting

The very first Garratt design, K1, did have the cylinders at the inner ends, this must have given some problem as the arrangement was never repeated. Possibly difficulties with arranging the pipes on larger engines as the cylinders would be inboard of the pivots.

Regards

Apparently some of the crew of k1 aren't big fans of having the cylinders under the cab floor. Together with the firebox it can get uncomfortably toasty.

I suspect that itd make fitting and maintaining the pivots and flexible steam joints a pain on a larger loco too

• RMweb Gold

A double cab loco to be realistic would have to have cab added beyond the nose end and the bogie moved as the compressor(s) and exhauster(s) are in the the nose

Why can't you move the compressors and exhausters?

Not rocket powered, but it got me thinking about the American and Soviet experiments with jet-powered railcars. So how about a similar British experiment? The American RDC was powered by a pair of General Electric J47s. The equivalent British jet engine at the time would be the Rolls-Royce Avon.

post-6959-0-34765700-1509429014.jpg

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Not rocket powered, but it got me thinking about the American and Soviet experiments with jet-powered railcars. So how about a similar British experiment? The American RDC was powered by a pair of General Electric J47s. The equivalent British jet engine at the time would be the Rolls-Royce Avon.

attachicon.gifTurbo121.jpg

Cheers

David

That should make the roof nice and toasty especially if they have afterburner......

• RMweb Gold

A double cab loco to be realistic would have to have cab added beyond the nose end and the bogie moved as the compressor(s) and exhauster(s) are in the the nose

But you can't just lengthen the loco without strengthening the bracing beneath the floor of the loco, which may involve replacing or repositioning some of the underfloor equipment.  Why not just make the 'Slug' version and have a separate 4 wheeled unpowered module with the cab and control equipment, which could be coupled to any number of slugs.

Ok nurse, I'll take the nice pills now...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But you can't just lengthen the loco without strengthening the bracing beneath the floor of the loco, which may involve replacing or repositioning some of the underfloor equipment.  Why not just make the 'Slug' version and have a separate 4 wheeled unpowered module with the cab and control equipment, which could be coupled to any number of slugs.

Ok nurse, I'll take the nice pills now...

Where would you put the diesel engine?

attachicon.gifTurbo121.jpg

Cheers

David

You'd have to have something a bit more effective than the HST yellow markers at the platform edges if you didn't want a rash of toasted commuters!

(Also its possibly probably DEFINITELY out of gauge...)