Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium

And having ridden on the 3 phase line La Rhune line, it didn't seem to be too jerky, but yes there were some. Loud gear-meshing noises yes, and the wooden stock seemed to flex a bit, but a very enjoyable trip up and down for me.

The overhead is wonderous and worth a visit just to see!

Andy G

edit: Same line as John above. Did John buy the cut-out and make models in the shop at the bottom tho?

edit again: http://www.rhune.com/uk/index.aspx

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, even though the 0-6-0 tender type was becoming dated the Fowler 4F was built up to 1941 and the Q1 was built in 1942. How would the Austerity have performed with a Fowleresqe tender instead of a saddle tank? Adhesion may not have been quite as good without 5t of water over the drivers.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It exists in real life!

2890-bury.jpg?w=1100

Just a thought, even though the 0-6-0 tender type was becoming dated the Fowler 4F was built up to 1941 and the Q1 was built in 1942. How would the Austerity have performed with a Fowleresqe tender instead of a saddle tank? Adhesion may not have been quite as good without 5t of water over the drivers.

Cheers

David

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The Mid Hants did an austerity to tender conversion - don't know if that's the same loco, but it looked very much like that, though not usually as shiny.

Yes it's the same loco, now owned by the Ribble Steam Railway and on hire to the East Lancs.

The RSR added the drop down front bufferbeam at the last overhaul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It exists in real life!

2890-bury.jpg?w=1100

I had no idea about this!

The J15 was sometimes called in to substitute for main line passenger locomotives and most of the time put up a good performance. A very versatile and usefull locomotive.

On tunnels and the Box tunnel sun myth, its worth noting that if you have a straight tunnel on a gradient so that it points above the horizon, and its aimed vaguely south of east or vaguely south of west, then its very unlikely that the sun won't shine straight through on one day or another. The sun crosses an awful lot of sky in the course of a year!

There has been mention of double deckers. Now this one is actually French, but I am sure something similar could find its way on the Wantage Tramway. There were also plans to put an upper deck on the Wisbech tram coaches(might not have been so popular on the Titfield Thunderbolt though).

EST-Double-deck-steam-railcar-1a.jpgI have done 3D design for various scales including 1/76. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If WD and later NCB needed heavy shunting.

attachicon.gif080Austerity.jpg

Cheers

David

Firebox too small for boiler; can be extended forwards towards third axle by about a foot.  8 coupled chassis would perform poorly on rough NCB track.  NCB heavy shunting provided for by Maerdy Monster Peckett.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

David

And the wheelbase would have been very short, leading to a rough riding loco.

• RMweb Gold

I like the 0-8-0ST but I think it suffers from the usual problems of adding an extra wheelset to a six-coupled loco in that you end up with a huge wheelbase.

I edited it a bit to make it stubbier, and extended the firebox.

You'd need to use different brake gear than that on the WD 0-6-0ST, though.

post-898-0-05405900-1513026087.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 9

Looks real to me.

Thanks.

I've been drawing a lot of GW classes over the last few years [shameless plug of shameless plug in sig!] and I hope I'm getting something of a picture of how the kit of parts could be assembled. I'm not enough of a steam engineer to be able to do the maths, but my best guess is that a Manor based 4-6-2T *might* just be feasible within the red route weight limits, whereas I'm quite sure that anything using the bigger Standard 1 boiler would be too heavy. Interestingly if one really wanted a mega GWR tank engine I suspect a Star 4 cylinder front end might be just about feasible too, with the extra weight mainly on the front bogie. I've got a fair sized library of GWR components, and its fun to see how they might go together.

The WSRs 9351 is an interesting application of the "kit of parts", and I would rather like to know what the weights are on that "fictional" locomotive, and thus whether a Std 2 boiler mogul might have made for the Duke(dog) replacement the GWR never got round to building for the Cambrian lines. When you think about it the Dukedog was the outcome of the same game that some of us are playing - Cook saying OK, I've got a Duke, which they need, but is clapped out, and a Bulldog, which they don't need but has a reasonable chassis. Supposing we...

• Like 3