The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bacon butties are OK.

PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Some years ago there was a widespread report in the press that the artificial sweeteners used in some soft drinks and foodstuffs were highly carcinogenic. Rats fed with such stuff developed an alarming incidence of tumours. My father was an industrial chemist and located the original report, which showed that the rats had been fed for a long time on what would equate to something like fifty kilos of sweetener per day for a human. Funding for the 'research' had come from the American Association of Sugar Manufacturers......

Dave

Whereas eating 50 kg of sugar is good for you!

• Funny 2

BMI is an utterly useless measurement of anything. Nothing with so many qualifications and exceptions could be even remotely regarded as universal.  It does, however, have the advantage of being easy to determine and so continues to be applied with almost religious fervour by people who really should know better.

On the subject of food trends, the one that particularly amuses me is the continual banging on about how much sugar hides in ketchup, brown sauce etc. True enough, but is it really relevant, given what such sauces are normally applied to? I mean, I'm pretty sure noone with an IQ higher than that of a houseplant thinks party pies and sausage rolls constitute healthy eating.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Sauce on a bacon roll is like mixers with a malt whisky,  it's just not done.. The original flavour is to be savoured.. 

• Agree 5

Except in America - God awful bacon over there too streaky & too crispy !!

Only one hotel in Thailand I know does decent bacon for breakfast. It's German run and I'm always looked at oddly whilst constructing my Bacon Butties !!

Brit15

• Like 2

12 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Brown sauce - My favourite WAS Beetop

So who made that then? So many brands one has never heard of. I 'discovered' Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce* when I was about 4 - according to my parents - and that has been that for accompanying the full English breakfast and much else ever since. Happily the local bacon buttie purveyors all have it behind the counter now...

*Loads of unusual ingredients kept in the dark for eighteen months before bottling, got to be good for you. Probably got more vitamins in it than a vitamin pill. Certainly got more anchovy in it than any vitamin pill.

34 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Henfruit are cackleberries in many rural parts of the country. 

One Mr G Chaucer had the same problem. Not fifty miles from London somewhere on the North Kent shore, and no one had heard of eggeses. There they were probably 'eyere' or similar.

• Like 2

Hazlewood foods made Beetop sauce, discontinued in the 80's so I believe. Very popular in the North & Midlands back then.

Blame the big supermarkets for it's disappearance.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/hazlewood-foods-plc-history/

As Hazlewood phased out its own-brand production, its emphasis turned more and more to supplying the rapidly consolidating supermarket field. The shakeout of the food retailing industry eventually concentrated much of the retail food markets into the hands of just five retailers-Tesco, ASDA, Safeway, Somerfield, and J. Sainsbury. As part of this movement, the supermarket industry's leaders increasingly began to challenge the name brand foods market with their own private label brands. Hazlewood had by then positioned itself as a primary supplier of private label foods and other products, just as the major retailers began seeking to expand their own private label sales. Launched initially as lower-priced 'generic' alternatives to the major brands, private label brands became increasingly sophisticated during the 1980s and 1990s, rivaling the name brands in quality while remaining competitive in price. This trend enabled Hazlewood to achieve sustained growth throughout the decade.

86270529.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PatB said:

BMI is an utterly useless measurement of anything. Nothing with so many qualifications and exceptions could be even remotely regarded as universal.  It does, however, have the advantage of being easy to determine and so continues to be applied with almost religious fervour by people who really should know better.

Not sure about utterly useless but best taken with a pretty big pinch of salt (health issues with that notwithstanding :)) A combination of BMI and a bit of common sense will be a half-decent rough guideline for most.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Eyren = egges

What ever you do don't try Kraft Worcestershire sauce.. It's mayonnaise that passed by Worcestershire at some distance.. 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Not sure about utterly useless but best taken with a pretty big pinch of salt (health issues with that notwithstanding :)) A combination of BMI and a bit of common sense will be a half-decent rough guideline for most.

Perhaps, but body fat percentage is probably more useful, not being significantly affected by things like body type or bone mass, and, these days, is also quite easy to measure. Which renders the obsession with the deeply flawed BMI all the more mysterious.

Measurement of BMI is also not helped by the grossly inaccurate measuring equipment in widespread use in GP surgeries. I've seen my weight vary by 5kg across 3 sets of scales in one establishment (all on the same day, too), and had my height measured several times against rules that were fairly obviously screwed to the wall before the installation of a nice thick floating floor. As an engineer, if I'd been caught using measuring tools so badly calibrated I'd have received a severe beating with a bound copy of ISO 9001.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PatB said:

Perhaps, but body fat percentage is probably more useful, not being significantly affected by things like body type or bone mass, and, these days, is also quite easy to measure. Which renders the obsession with the deeply flawed BMI all the more mysterious.

Very easy to measure BMI in the home though, and the odds of most of us being significantly different from the average in terms of body type or bone mass is low enough that it's won't be wildly inaccurate for the majority - and those who aren't the majority should be well enough aware of that themselves (although unfortunately there are some who claim they aren't rather than admit to being overweight).

The biggest problem with BMI is that it uses the square rather than the cube of the height.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Except in America - God awful bacon over there too streaky & too crispy !!

Brit15

The trick in Amrica is to look for/ask for Canadian bacon which is more like proper the bacon that we know.

• Informative/Useful 3

True story - (often told).

Many years ago a member of the Wigan Gas Works remembrance club (we meet twice a year) went on his first foreign holiday to Turkey. He was told "they don't do bacon there" - so he took his own, a few packets.

Said person took the packets of bacon to the hotel kitchen and asked for it to be fried for his breakfast. The day after upon entering the hotel restaurant for Breckie the cook came in with ALL the bacon niceley fried on a large platter !!!!

Of course being both a Wiganer and a Gas Man he ate it all !!!

Brit15 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Reorte said:

American streaky bacon comes from a completely different cut I believe - ours is from the back, theirs from the belly.

OOOOH! AAAAH! Now, belly pork? That's another so-called 'unhealthy' passion of mine.....I really do like belly pork..usually roasted [without the rind].....if ever I get taken out to a foodery to eat [what else?], if belly pork is on the menu, in some form or another, there's no contest as far as I'm concerned.

These pork steaks, or 'cutlets' leave me cold...too dry [too much meat, not enough pork fat]....I could eat roasted pork till the cows come home [and complain]...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

I could eat roasted pork till the cows come home

Whimsical. Crafted. Profound, perhaps.

Don't you love the English language?

I'm just going to ponder that statement, probably over analysing it, you talk amongst yourselves...I may be some time...

I doff my cap Sirrah. C6T. 

(should be 'til, a till is a cash register, but why spoil a beautiful moment? Oh.) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, alastairq said:

Aaah.The blessings of modern computerism. So many of my words aren't actually what I have typed. Microsoft obviously think they know better?

Turn off auto-correct.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Turn off auto-correct.

You want to switch something against the settings Microsoft have decided they want you to have? It'll auto-correct to back on probably.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1