Coombe Town

CoombeTown

Finally, I got some of the 6mm Dead Grass on the embankment. Spread thinly as on the left side it does look good, so will be used on the main layout. Thanks Graham,20211221_160221.jpg.60b5d52a8f37f1d5923f8bb9744e1317.jpg

That's all the modelling time until the New Year, but I'll hopefully get some CAD done for details and the signal box over the holiday.

Merry Xmas and Best Wishes to all who have supported the Coombe Town journey this year!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well we've reached the end of 2021. This year has seen the Goods Shed started and nearly finished, and the beginning of landscaping for Coombe Town. More locomotive arrivals than my wallet would care to handle, although as long as no one announces a newly tooled County or 57xx, it should be safe-ish next year.

And just sneaking in, the completion of the main Signal Box CAD.SigBox_Assem.jpg.e2c7a518a1cc5040d3552708c80d1846.jpg

All the black components will be added to a Sprue to be 3D printed in one part, along with a desk for the Goods Shed Office & troughs for the Cattle Dock.

To all those that read this thread, I wish you all a Happy New Year and best of luck for the 10th January announcements!

• Like 2

The upper walls on the box are now assembled. These are currently in two sections so I can prime and paint the interior, which will be done once the framing is added.20220104_205717.jpg.3dcc462c172c667a6224a9b9fd348cdb.jpg

Painting of the Goods Shed office roof is also in progress so I can look at the tiling that in the near future.

I really should just finish one thing... but where would the fun be in that?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Always worth remembering that it's supposed to be fun!

Definitely so! I got a bit disillusioned with the Goods Shed. Fortunately I have ordered metal for another 5 casettes, hopefully arriving this week. This will allow another 4 trains to be assembled + 1 for a passenger train hauled by a Sound fitted Large Prairie when it arrives.

I shall have a good playing session once they’re together, as well as a trip to the Frome show on Saturday. Speaking of, is anyone else planning on attending Frome?

I really love the look you've captured with this layout, bravo! I wish I had the discipline to use components in CAD - normally I'll just knock up some primitives and call it a day, which comes to bite me in the end - but I guess these things are teachable moments :)

Your render of the signalbox has shown me that what I thought was a bizarre ground-level window with a wall infront, must have been the access to the room below with a staircase - cheers!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Lacathedrale , the layout is slowly starting to approach the idea that was in my head 2 and a half years ago which is pleasing. 

Regarding the use of components in CAD. I find it easier to generate the structure of a building as I would build it, using parts for each subassembly. In this case, the main plasticard structure, the outside landing + all the 3D printed components.

This allows me to produce drawings for the plasticard structures that I know will fit the 3D print when it arrives, such as that below.Screenshot_20220105-191809_Drive.jpg.25e8b60d459fdfdfee4ea240e3f9f497.jpg

In this case I haven't ordered the 3d print as I wasn't confident of the thickness of the walls. Good thing to as the print will need an extra .5mm here and there to match.

As good as 3D is for visualisation, nothing beats the real thing.

This afternoon I built another cassette, which means the Peckett finally has a place to rest off the layout rather than blocking the Goods Yard.

20220107_202339.jpg.6aaf79007daa2e2f7269294c67b0d7a3.jpg

I also got out my Small Prairie and gave it run around before coupling it to a short parcels train.

I really like these engines so am thinking I may get another in BR Early Black to use as a freight loco.20220107_202315.jpg.97cf467bc871c653d119c1c38113bcb6.jpg

The parcels train is made up of 2 recent eBay purchases, an LNER CCT & an LMS full brake which has been quite nicely Weathered.

These are part of a larger plan for a club layout parcels rake spurred by the recent Accurascale announcement.20220107_203629.jpg.02b6a916de0c5b610c138b5f91118ebe.jpg

• Like 5

Bit more progress on the signal box to improve my mood before facing the household chores...20220108_122615.jpg.e63e2a9616eac8da0c793f1c7798e3e1.jpg

The picture shows the 4/5 subassemblies for the main box.

The locking room just needs the brickwork on the back wall adding. Front upper walls are missing the last bit of framing as I ran out 1.5mm x .5mm plasticard, but hopefully will pick some up at Frome tomorrow.

The upper walls are all primed internally so I get some paint on them during the week. Then I can assemble the entire upper box to paint the exterior.

The 5th subassembly will be the locking room stairs, as these will be easier to paint separately.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of last week, a small parcel arrived from Wizard Models. One of the things inside was the Springside Signal Box interior.

Having been away for the weekend I've now made some progress painting it all up.20220118_225704.jpg.3411e8bdb0a5b1e6a949aeac6a1f0679.jpg

I've also updated the CAD for the windows based on the "as built" dimensions. Hopefully, the 3D print will be with me before the end of the week.

• Like 2

It's surprising just how much you can cram into a signal box. I used bits from Springside, Ratio and a few scratch built parts too.

Which meant that I had to make the roof removable  because it then needs a light inside to see all that detail.

It's a slippery slope....:D

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's surprising just how much you can cram into a signal box. I used bits from Springside, Ratio and a few scratch built parts too.

Which meant that I had to make the roof removable  because it then needs a light inside to see all that detail.

It's a slippery slope....:D

It is ridiculous really... I plan on getting the Modelu Signal Box details for the instruments and will make shelf and track plan Attach to the roof.

In terms of lighting, I have a cunning plan which involves the central pillar of the front window being hollow.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't have room for much other than hiding the (very thin) cables up the inside corner of the front face, but it will be invisible from outside.

Probably. :D

IMG_20211102_005336.jpg.a8870b498d88122fdc21926d4b93bb82.jpg

No track diagram, but it's impossible to get this view when the box is on the layout.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

IMG_20211102_005317.jpg.e9ce5abf6fcbdd80b6cf90306336a246.jpg

Probably not 100% accurate, but way better than seeing nothing through the windows.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't have room for much other than hiding the (very thin) cables up the inside corner of the front face, but it will be invisible from outside.

Probably. :D

IMG_20211102_005336.jpg.a8870b498d88122fdc21926d4b93bb82.jpg

No track diagram, but it's impossible to get this view when the box is on the layout.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

IMG_20211102_005317.jpg.e9ce5abf6fcbdd80b6cf90306336a246.jpg

Probably not 100% accurate, but way better than seeing nothing through the windows.

Its the view through the open window that will be most visible of course. Have you set your levers for a particular route?

Edited by Andy Keane

49 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Its the view through the open window that will be most visible of course. Have you set your levers for a particular route?

True, you can see quite a bit of the interior even though part of the view is hidden by a block instrument.

I haven't set the levers for a particular route, although that one would theoretically be associated with the western end of the loop.

It does occur to me that if the figure of the signalman is at the lever frame, it's going to be "wrong" at various times, much like drivers in railcars.

I've learned not to worry about it!

• Like 4

The 3D print has arrived!

received_636011694310741.jpeg.98cee53823381b066ffde180e7cfe6db.jpeg

Unfortunately the manufacturer has printed it at an angle that has made a number of the parts unusable due to stepping.

The plan now is to use these parts as a fit check, saving as much as possible. Then make the necessary adjustments before ordering a new set of windows from a different manufacturer. With instructions to ensure they are printed flat!

On the plus side, the troughs for the cattle dock and the Goods Shed office desk have printed well.

received_968412680724853.jpeg.496b2d4f743743a91c2eae3611f87f9e.jpeg

1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Wow - painting all those glazing bars is going to test your eyesight and steadiness of hands! I am still getting glazing bars made separately and then adding acrylic sheet behind.

I will admit to a slight cheat. The windows are actually pane-less. The glazing will be the deluxe materials Glue 'n' Glaze. It makes life a lot easier without having to try so hard on the glazing bars as you say.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

I will admit to a slight cheat. The windows are actually pane-less. The glazing will be the deluxe materials Glue 'n' Glaze. It makes life a lot easier without having to try so hard on the glazing bars as you say.

Ah! - now I understand. I have a tube of glue and glaze that I use to stick acrylic in but have never tried glazing with the stuff directly.

On 20/01/2022 at 19:07, Andy Keane said:

Ah! - now I understand. I have a tube of glue and glaze that I use to stick acrylic in but have never tried glazing with the stuff directly.

It's actually very straightforward, and produces reasonable results. I've tried it before on my test plank so will share some pictures when I remember to take some.

Edited by DRoe96
Fixing a typo

It's been a pretty non-stop weekend, but I found some time this morning and evening to get some more done.

Firstly, I finished the levers for the signal box and installed them, along with the wire tensioners.20220123_224349.jpg.e6b725c23fb83f5fb097ec7ebc35ffdb.jpg

Secondly, spurred on by the desire to get some actual scenics on the layout after nearly 2.5 years, I put the sculptamold down on the rear embankment. 20220123_225039.jpg.85886913beeda1cfbc1bd89084b65c77.jpg20220123_225047.jpg.2137d27e7bf6f79295ea39bae9f8b5ff.jpg

Hopefully, before the end of the month Coombe Town will see its first blades of grass and give me a bit more motivation to run some trains again.

• Like 1

This week has been pretty busy in modelling terms, progress on a number of fronts including the Goods Shed.

20220127_170815.jpg.7611094a20b4cd3e1a0f74aba3bfb83a.jpg

The embankment got a covering of Woodland Scenics Blended Turf, which was later followed by the first coat of grass. Unfortunately I ran out of basing glue so further progress is waiting for the post.

20220128_173052.jpg.193dad00150acb299f35bf0368519582.jpg

The largest development was the arrival of the lighting rig. It gives a satisfying presentable look to the layout, which spurred a couple of hours of running this afternoon. You'll have to excuse the mess though, the layout frequently gets used as a storage bench!

• Like 4