'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Good idea, especially since, and I'm open to correction by Mr Snowdon,I don't think the Met had any six-wheelers. Didn't they go direct from 4w to bogies for the outer areas?

In between, they had a weird interim thing with rigid 8-wheel coaches, two sets of four wheels at each end. They're easily mistaken for bogie coaches and I'm not aware of any other company trying this.

The Met rigid eight wheelers were, I think, their first own coaches, so came before the four-wheelers, rather than after, and IIRC were an adapted copy of the GWR coaches that they used for the first year or two (perhaps even less), until the two companies fell out with one another.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The more I read through the comments in this thread the more I conclude that Hattons have basically got it absolutely right going for a generic range.  OK one or two features (e.g. that westinghouse Brake fit) to iron out but the basic idea sounds ever more the way to go.  As for folk asking for this that and everything else (e.g clerestories) I again think Hattons have got it right because these will come out as a decent generic set of models that can be detailed in various ways - gas cylinders added as per 'Edwardian's comments, pot lamps that can be removed for the gas lit era, even vacuum cylinders could be post-purchase additions.  And the enterprising 'small suppliers' could no doubt put into the marketplace 3-D printed clerestories or shell vents and so on.

Obviously some of the basic details will never be right for particular individual vehicles such as those which survived into the 1960s in departmental use but the basic Hattons models will provide fertile ground for fettling, additions, removals, and various other things which come under that rather old-fashioned and oft neglected term 'modelling'.

• Like 5
  • Agree 14

hattons-generic-9.png.b796f6fe260c662b05ea1832178cd05b.png

Yuk.

These scale out at about 16" length. These vehicles have standard screw couplings, i.e. they are not intended to be close-coupled stuff, so the buffer length should be at least 20.5", more likely 1'10.5" or perhaps 2' for that era.

The buffer shank is drastically undernourished, not to mention impossible to produce economically in 4mm scale. 2.75" (say 0.9mm) would be a better objective.

The stock diameter at the front is also horribly small. Prototype castings that narrow wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Head diameter is reasonable.

• Agree 1

Ah, g’wan, g’wan, g’wan, g’wan! 

You know you all want to.

This is the sort of thing us coarse-0 people have been playing trains with for a while now, and they are fun.

The first strings of generic s-x-wheelers were made by Carette c1909, and we’ve had a massive choice of them, variously high-roofed, low-roofed, and clerestory, in about twenty liveries, from Ace and from Darstaed in the past c15 years.

AF9EE72E-C8CE-4C09-87E1-1FEFF14B9501.jpeg

267E900C-8C9C-4F38-97DC-7AFE74C16BA8.jpeg

D6D10E49-955B-429C-9E78-4BC4756DE543.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, JCL said:

If they don't, and the rooves are separate, I can imagine someone with 3D printing experience putting together aftermarket clerestory rooves (or roofs, depending on your persuasion). As they are modular, it will be interesting to see how these are assembled when they come out.

Not that simple, unfortunately. A clerestory carriage would also require new ends.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

In between, they had a weird interim thing with rigid 8-wheel coaches, two sets of four wheels at each end. They're easily mistaken for bogie coaches and I'm not aware of any other company trying this.

45 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

LNWR had radials as well

The GN had a rigid 8 wheeler.

Edited by chris p bacon

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Kohler's initial offering would have been a Restaurant all 1st, to which we would all have said "wtf..."

Probably not, considering how long it took for the Big H to get round to adding one to their Maunsell line-up.:jester:

John

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

LNWR had radials as well

9 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

The GN had a rigid 8 wheeler.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that I don't spend enough time outside the Greater London area... How about a rigid 8-wheeler, Hattons? (I kid, I kid)

Edited by HonestTom
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

What next? Generic locos in your choice of livery?

Harks back to the days of Hornby Tinplate .

Or even Hornby's present and relatively recent past in OO.

Nellie and her sisters, Smokey Joe, Desmond, the GWR 0-4-0T (fictitious liveries also available) and that funny looking thing with the undernourished chimney and cab.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

13 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Or even Hornby's present and relatively recent past in OO.

Nellie and her sisters, Smokey Joe, Desmond, the GWR 0-4-0T (fictitious liveries also available) and that funny looking thing with the undernourished chimney and cab.  

John

Those sell quite well, don't they?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

What next? Generic locos in your choice of livery?

Harks back to the days of Hornby Tinplate .

I'm sure I could find a use for them, even if you couldn't.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Kohler's initial offering would have been a Restaurant all 1st, to which we would all have said "wtf..."

Well, if it had looked anything like this:

image.png.f4af2b7b341222adc3426fe4e97efa99.png

... I think that would have been my reaction too but perhaps not quite in the sense you meant, @Miss Prism!

NB. Before anyone starts picking the nits off me, I know that's not a first but a centre-kitchen composite to WCJS Diagram 10; it was the first postable picture of a Wolverton diner I could lay my hands on.

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I wonder what the comments on here would have been like if Hornby had made the announcement.

Can't see why it would be any different.

17 minutes ago, Nile said:

I'm sure I could find a use for them, even if you couldn't.

Ditto.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, if it had looked anything like this:

image.png.f4af2b7b341222adc3426fe4e97efa99.png

... I think that would have been my reaction too but perhaps not quite in the sense you meant, @Miss Prism!

NB. Before anyone starts picking the nits off me, I know that's not a first but a centre-kitchen composite to WCJS Diagram 10; it was the first postable picture of a Wolverton diner I could lay my hands on.

Rather an American aesthetic there; Country & North Western?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The more I read through the comments in this thread the more I conclude that Hattons have basically got it absolutely right going for a generic range.  OK one or two features (e.g. that westinghouse Brake fit) to iron out but the basic idea sounds ever more the way to go.  As for folk asking for this that and everything else (e.g clerestories) I again think Hattons have got it right because these will come out as a decent generic set of models that can be detailed in various ways - gas cylinders added as per 'Edwardian's comments, pot lamps that can be removed for the gas lit era, even vacuum cylinders could be post-purchase additions.  And the enterprising 'small suppliers' could no doubt put into the marketplace 3-D printed clerestories or shell vents and so on.

Obviously some of the basic details will never be right for particular individual vehicles such as those which survived into the 1960s in departmental use but the basic Hattons models will provide fertile ground for fettling, additions, removals, and various other things which come under that rather old-fashioned and oft neglected term 'modelling'.

Coming in alongside this post, as I have had a busy few days and watched things with interest. Hatton's indeed look to have don't several things right here to bring this product to market.

First off all its a generic coach, and most of these at the time did look similar. Yes you can detail differences to them as required, but encompassing every single regional area with its bespoke small accurate coach was never going to be an idea that can meet the markets demand for something that would be profitable. Here instead you get something broadly similar for something pre-grouping that can be enhanced, detailed or left as is for those wanting to run something from this period.

Secondly, for the spec of the model the price is very attractive. They have the detail that is needed and lots of nice features to encourage modelling the various areas. Moving them into grouping territory again opens up the market, as does industrial and departmental use. Again a clever move. These will surely feature in many areas as the price makes them a nice addition to bolster the various novelty additions that people have on a layout that are there to gain interest.

Finally, the liveries and finish. Yes the panelling can be changed to suit and people here pushing for panelling to be changed to match their regional variations and lobby for this. Hatton's shouldn't move to much to do this, the product is good overall and is already perfect for many of the needs of the stock of this type. By changing a lot they satisfy one side and again could start to loose the support of the other. Liveries again can be applied to stock to meet the various needs of people from elsewhere, though its interesting to see some that I think will be higher demand than others being left until later. The other range that can be done, could be some preserved stock that has been scratch built to suit, such as Tanfield Railway.

Overall, its an excellent addition and the popularity of the thread means again Hatton's have chosen wisely and selected a winning product. That they are moving for steam also bodes well for them looking for areas of the market to develop, so that they can enhance the range offered by major manufacturers. This should not be a means by them to denounce Hatton's or complain of competition. Hatton's have just brought a product that will no doubt enhance the sales of their own range thanks to this stock to go with them. Sadly I think that will be lost on some, or those that fail to understand that the market and methods have changed in recent years - so that the likes of Hatton's can exist and enhance the ranges of traditional companies to the benefit of all.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

3 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Coming in alongside this post, as I have had a busy few days and watched things with interest. Hatton's indeed look to have don't several things right here to bring this product to market.

First off all its a generic coach, and most of these at the time did look similar. Yes you can detail differences to them as required, but encompassing every single regional area with its bespoke small accurate coach was never going to be an idea that can meet the markets demand for something that would be profitable. Here instead you get something broadly similar for something pre-grouping that can be enhanced, detailed or left as is for those wanting to run something from this period.

Secondly, for the spec of the model the price is very attractive. They have the detail that is needed and lots of nice features to encourage modelling the various areas. Moving them into grouping territory again opens up the market, as does industrial and departmental use. Again a clever move. These will surely feature in many areas as the price makes them a nice addition to bolster the various novelty additions that people have on a layout that are there to gain interest.

Finally, the liveries and finish. Yes the panelling can be changed to suit and people here pushing for panelling to be changed to match their regional variations and lobby for this. Hatton's shouldn't move to much to do this, the product is good overall and is already perfect for many of the needs of the stock of this type. By changing a lot they satisfy one side and again could start to loose the support of the other. Liveries again can be applied to stock to meet the various needs of people from elsewhere, though its interesting to see some that I think will be higher demand than others being left until later. The other range that can be done, could be some preserved stock that has been scratch built to suit, such as Tanfield Railway.

Overall, its an excellent addition and the popularity of the thread means again Hatton's have chosen wisely and selected a winning product. That they are moving for steam also bodes well for them looking for areas of the market to develop, so that they can enhance the range offered by major manufacturers. This should not be a means by them to denounce Hatton's or complain of competition. Hatton's have just brought a product that will no doubt enhance the sales of their own range thanks to this stock to go with them. Sadly I think that will be lost on some, or those that fail to understand that the market and methods have changed in recent years - so that the likes of Hatton's can exist and enhance the ranges of traditional companies to the benefit of all.  

That's a very good summary, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

I believe these will be a huge winner for Hattons and for those who like me, admire British pre-grouping but don't really have the skills to build (and more importantly, paint), this means we can actually start focusing on this period.

For quite a few years now, I have been doing exactly this but with German pre-grouping (Prussian) simply because I really love the quaint old locos and wonderfully colourful liveries that I could never paint myself. Apparently a lot of my coaches are pretty accurate but I haven't a clue whether they are or not, I don't let that stop me and I consider adding passengers, lighting, weathering and so forth to be - modelling!

So, carry on Hattons, only those dedicated and skilled souls will be bothered, I won't be!

I reiterate my plea for these vehicles to be as good on the track as the Continental models are, PLEASE!

Cheers,

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1