Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

29 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

Hmmm, now there's an idea!  I can't though, I just want to finish a layout now, this saga has gone on for far too long..

As long as you’ve enjoyed the journey it doesn’t matter . As soon as I get near “ finishing “, I lose interest and think of the next great idea to waste money !

• Like 1

I have enjoyed it and its been a life saver at times when I was going through a bad patch.. 

I think I actually enjoy the planning and initial build more than the end result, which explains why I've never made an end result! :D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, saxokid said:

Any new updates Scot

Not of any real note. I've been painting the back scene and filling in the missing sleepers, now that the tracks laid.

I'm waiting a delivery of wire and associated bits, and when that arrives I'll attempt to add power to the beast!

I've also been working on the two bridges, and planning where the low relief structures will go. There's nothing worth taking pictures of just yet, but thanks for popping in. 

• Like 1

Day 5 of self isolation and I've been plodding along quite nicely ticking things off on the things to do list.

This evening I've turned my attention to my 08s. I have an EWS 08 that needed some attention as it didn't seem to run very well. After a strip down and copious amounts of white grease removed it seems to have gotten a new lease of life. 

As a result, its now been added to the Shunter pool.  EWS branding has been removed and the new owners logo"RSS" has been applied. 

20210108_205648.jpg.701fe238295c8e7bab7794705b5dcb82.jpg

In still in the process of wiring the main layout,  which is one of my least favourite parts of this hobby. Then it's Ballasting next! :(

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well at least there’s one ‘positive’ to isolation! I like Tamiya grease if I have to strip down a loco and re lubricate one with plastic gears, it doesn’t seem to thicken with time like the ones in rtr locos! Fortunately I have several of the mini tubes from various Tamiya rc & motorised kits so I rarely need to actually buy it. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening, 

Just a quick update as to where I am with things..  Recently I had to self isolate for 6 days, so decided to crack on with getting power to the layout. I'm pleased to say that I've wired up the on scene aspect of the layout and all seems to be working fine. This will all change once I put the ballast down and cause all the points to stop working! 

A bit more testing/playing needs to be carried out, once I've tidied the boards up, and moved the junk off them. 

I've given the wooden sleeper track a spraying with the very good Montana paint, so that's all ready for ballasting. I've yet to paint all the concrete sleeper rails by hand, but it is on the list to do.

Today I have done a bit more on the Network Rail office block, It's a Pikestuff kit and is HO scale, I originally used their doors at the front, but then saw the Scalemodelscenery automatic doors. So I bought a set of those and test fitted them today. They seem a lot better and obviously more to scale.

The picture below shows the doors in place, but they aren't fitted permanently  yet.

NRNew.jpg.3d6c928d6587b28a704a5a5f4815f02e.jpg

There's not a lot more of note to mention, I'm just plodding on as and when and gradually getting there. Apart from I'm looking to change my DCC system. I've used NCE since I started with DCC but I'm looking to upgrade, and Digikeijs DR5000 seems tempting, having been given positive ratings from several modeller friends. 

So I'm hoping that once payday arrives I'll spend a bit of my Bank Holiday overtime money from Christmas and treat myself.

That's it for now, thanks for looking.

Cheers 
Scott 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

Good evening, 

Just a quick update as to where I am with things..  Recently I had to self isolate for 6 days, so decided to crack on with getting power to the layout. I'm pleased to say that I've wired up the on scene aspect of the layout and all seems to be working fine. This will all change once I put the ballast down and cause all the points to stop working! 

A bit more testing/playing needs to be carried out, once I've tidied the boards up, and moved the junk off them. 

I've given the wooden sleeper track a spraying with the very good Montana paint, so that's all ready for ballasting. I've yet to paint all the concrete sleeper rails by hand, but it is on the list to do.

Today I have done a bit more on the Network Rail office block, It's a Pikestuff kit and is HO scale, I originally used their doors at the front, but then saw the Scalemodelscenery automatic doors. So I bought a set of those and test fitted them today. They seem a lot better and obviously more to scale.

The picture below shows the doors in place, but they aren't fitted permanently  yet.

NRNew.jpg.3d6c928d6587b28a704a5a5f4815f02e.jpg

There's not a lot more of note to mention, I'm just plodding on as and when and gradually getting there. Apart from I'm looking to change my DCC system. I've used NCE since I started with DCC but I'm looking to upgrade, and Digikeijs DR5000 seems tempting, having been given positive ratings from several modeller friends. 

So I'm hoping that once payday arrives I'll spend a bit of my Bank Holiday overtime money from Christmas and treat myself.

That's it for now, thanks for looking.

Cheers 
Scott 

Looking good Scott.

Despite being a transatlantic product, Pikestuff is so easy to use and individualize (See - I'm even using the US spelling)

One of the best ways to Anglicise (see what I did there?) Pikestuff structures is to add a lower round of brick courses about 20mm high.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Looking good Scott.

Despite being a transatlantic product, Pikestuff is so easy to use and individualize (See - I'm even using the US spelling)

One of the best ways to Anglicise (see what I did there?) Pikestuff structures is to add a lower round of brick courses about 20mm high.

Thanks Mick, 

I've used PIkestuff a few times now, and I have added a brick course to some, and you're right it does add a bit more to the UK look.  They're certainly a good kit to use, although my skill set doesn't come close to your work..  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, pitbull1845 said:

Thanks Mick, 

I've used PIkestuff a few times now, and I have added a brick course to some, and you're right it does add a bit more to the UK look.  They're certainly a good kit to use, although my skill set doesn't come close to your work..  

Ta for the compliment, however:

You haven't seen them in closeup......................

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Evening,

Thinks are still moving along slowly on the layout. 

I've started ballasting, but have run out of both ballast and glue, so need to source some shortly. 

The Large DHL warehouse has been put into place, but still needs work doing to it, as I'm not quite happy with it. 

The only other thing of note is a new arrival at the depot. 68032 has arrived on a route learning run. Rumours have it that there's  potentially a new Mountsorrel - Eastbury ballast working on the cards.. But that'd the only Gen I have. 

IMG_20210202_194301_399.jpg

-fbro1h.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Evening, 

Well there's been progress on the layout which is always a bonus as it means its not been ripped up yet!  

Ballasting has been done on the majority of the track, with just a few points left to do. The bits that have been ballasted have also been tested and seem to work ok, which is another bonus, So its all rosie at Eastbury..

In other news, my little MXA Lobster wagon project is doing well. I had one ballast box 3d printed, this was the prototype and after a few tweeks to the CAD, 5 more are being printed. They're not going to be an exact replica but  hopefully they'll look the part. 

840334354_MXAProject.jpg.46d34985344c882da477636d4610635a.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the layout progress, so instead here's a picture of a real train at Poole, from the weekend engineering. 

66094.jpg.a35b6b2768e7608582e0640e540a706d.jpg

My next update will include pictures of the layout, and hopefully an MXA wagon or two..

• Like 14

On 22/02/2021 at 22:19, pitbull1845 said:

Evening, 

Well there's been progress on the layout which is always a bonus as it means its not been ripped up yet!  

Ballasting has been done on the majority of the track, with just a few points left to do. The bits that have been ballasted have also been tested and seem to work ok, which is another bonus, So its all rosie at Eastbury..

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the layout progress, so instead here's a picture of a real train at Poole, from the weekend engineering. 

66094.jpg.a35b6b2768e7608582e0640e540a706d.jpg

Need a strImmer down there