Airfix/Dapol Booth 15t industrial crane, any photos?

Firecracker

• RMweb Gold

Right, either there’s nothing out there, or my google-fu has gone completely for a burton.  What I’m looking for is any photos or information (or possible survivors) of the booth 15t crane as made by airfix/Dapol.  However, it’s the bogie industrial  with the shorter jib version I’m looking for, not the 8w rigid chassis longer jib version BR bought.  To prove the prototype existed, I’ve found this on Graces Guide, but at the moment that’s the lot.  Anyone?

957A2C16-E283-4BC6-80E6-9EBA6E854641.jpeg.fa02cf330a486f6394f82a8c83ca7fd7.jpeg

Owain

Edited by Firecracker

• 1 month later...
On 20/10/2019 at 12:38, Firecracker said:

Right, either there’s nothing out there, or my google-fu has gone completely for a burton.  What I’m looking for is any photos or information (or possible survivors) of the booth 15t crane as made by airfix/Dapol.  However, it’s the bogie industrial  with the shorter jib version I’m looking for, not the 8w rigid chassis longer jib version BR bought.  To prove the prototype existed, I’ve found this on Graces Guide, but at the moment that’s the lot.  Anyone?

957A2C16-E283-4BC6-80E6-9EBA6E854641.jpeg.fa02cf330a486f6394f82a8c83ca7fd7.jpeg

Owain

Hi Owain,

I hadn't realised that there was a bogie version, I thought the Dapol kit was a compromise for running around sharp curves of model railways. I have previously built one by converting it to run on an LNER tender frames with a GWR Macaw H as a runner wagon suitably adorned with tool boxes. At the moment I am currently building another in the same fashion for a friend. Now that the bogie version is bona fide I sahll have to build another once I find out the paint scheme !

This is not my thread but I did contribute.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold

As far as I am aware,  the bogie version only ran as an industrial crane, if at all. On mainline railways, if had the fixed 8-wheel chassis. There are lots of pictures online and see this thread 

also see david hydes YouTube videos about building the airfux/Dapol kit

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

IIRC the industrial bogie crane as modelled by Dapol/Kitmaster is based on a diesel hydraulic prototype, and BR never owned any.  The similar 8 wheeled self propelled crane (I did the conversion many years ago using a Triang Hornby FS tender chassis which fitted perfectly, and lived with the short jib), was a diesel electric, as the intention was to be able to haul it at a relatively high speed from the PAD (Pre Assembled track Depot) where it worked in the week to track relaying sites, with the traction motors switched out, then be able to use the crane's self propelling ability at the site.  The WR's PWM series departmental diesel electric 204hp Ruston shunting locos were used in a similar way.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

As an update, I’ve found two other photos.  Both are in Clyde Booth publicity material.  Irritatingly, both are also low resolution scans.  One shows the Dapol version loading something into a commer lorry.  The second shows a crane with a different jib and body, but identical chassis to the Dapol version.  The body on this is larger, suggesting it’s an industrial version that doesn’t have to fit the railway loading gauge.  

Going off Volume 3 of Peter Tatlows magnum opus on railway cranes (they’re expensive, but  superb books) the only ones BR had were on the rigid eight wheel chassis, with a 38 foot jib.  Hydraulic drive was used for the travel/hoist/derrick  motions, slewing was controlled by electric power, supplied by a generator also used to supply lighting and auxiliary  equipment (eg electromagnets).  An air compressor driven direct off the Diesel engine provided air for the control clutches and brakes.   For haulage in train formation, the final drive to the wheels would be mechanically disengaged by separating a pair of spiral bevel gears, to allow the crane to freewheel.  

A411FFA8-375B-40D2-AD8C-D723FE64A3FA.jpeg.a5a93c0822b7984708cf88910214924d.jpeg

3FC2782C-EDDB-4787-BF8A-5772ABF8ED75.jpeg.fdc057aa01ae6ff8034892c9733134a2.jpeg

Photos cribbed from Tatlow, showing details of primary drive gearbox and interior arrangement (because the body is identical, I’ve assumed this is the same for the Dapol version).

Tallow also has an excellent set of drawings of the crane and runner (converted Macaw H) plus an interior layout, cab layout and detail drawings of components.  Apparently 4 of the ex BR cranes survive, two at the Dean Forest, one at GCR and one at Gwili.  Anyway, thanks one and all for the assistance, I’ll go with the Dapol/Airfix effort being  a prototype.  Finally, here’s my humble effort, as survives on a (fictional) preserved railway in Cumbria (on my ‘Sedbergh, as a preserved railway’ thread).  The GWR sleeper wagon was chosen as a runner due to a) having one, b) several survive into preservation, c) it’s long enough to support the jib with no overhang and d) it satisfies my engineering sensibilities and looks ‘right’.  The livery is that of a fictional heavy engineering concern (United Marine and Locomotive Engineering Ltd.), somewhere in the industrial NE, which a previous shunting puzzle layout featured a small corner of their sprawling site.

F7CB80A3-7BD2-4686-AD42-48AC1B21D1E3.jpeg.f3c4e0d9908a56ca469f32c3169f8a8d.jpeg

Owain

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That cutting mat has seen some action!

Perhaps a letter to Santa is required?

Mike.

That cutting mat is over 20 years old!  There’s an upgrade coming to the whole bench (new relocated bench, drawers, test track and a major reorganise) in the new year, that ratty mat is getting an upgrade as part of it!

Owain

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Firecracker said:

That cutting mat is over 20 years old!  There’s an upgrade coming to the whole bench (new relocated bench, drawers, test track and a major reorganise) in the new year, that ratty mat is getting an upgrade as part of it!

Owain

Well, if a banana and a bit of gaffer tape is worth a few grand then that mat is priceless!

Mike.

Look at The Works.

They sell 3 A4 ones for £8.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/artist-supplies/3-a4-self-healing-cutting-mats-bundle/kit05156

Or the big A2 ones at 3 for £21.50.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/artist-supplies/3-a2-self-healing-cutting-mats-bundle/kit04254

You won't need to buy another one for sixty years at that rate. :laugh:

Jason

• Funny 3

• 3 years later...

I too am looking for information regarding the bogie version in service, particularly livery but sadly can fing nothing. I am also interested in the large bodied version that Firecracker mentions as I have an un-built chassis left over from a BR conversion I am currently working on.

However, instead of using a tender underframe I have a bespoke 3d printed one. 

22 hours ago, 81E said:

... large bodied version that Firecracker mentions ...

Could this be the beast ??!? -

227_24.jpg.da40d3d6b0d8ebb06b90f98a5c96e7fb.jpg

227_25.jpg.04552636832b20b134d5040c5ad58259.jpg

Skipton : 29/3/87 ..... obviously 'large bodied' and seemingly out of gauge : presumably in transit to  ... er .... somewhere !

Clearly this is a 'Smith' crane rather than a 'Booth' one - but I can't figure out what the relationship was from reading Mr.Brownlie's book ......... maybe someone has access to Mr.Tatlow's volumes ??!?

Edited by Wickham Green too
Smith / Booth
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1