Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

This one's for Annie, maybe. A rather sweet little 0-4-0T from the Land of my father. I think it's an A class? 

Looks to me to be made to run on 0 gauge track but to a larger scale to suit prototype 3'6"?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285724346700?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=a72c3e1970854a1f87f667fce3069abd&bu=44854541524&osub=-1~1&crd=20240226095043&segname=11051

NZR Class A..JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

This one's for Annie, maybe. A rather sweet little 0-4-0T from the Land of my father. I think it's an A class? 

Looks to me to be made to run on 0 gauge track but to a larger scale to suit prototype 3'6"?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285724346700?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=a72c3e1970854a1f87f667fce3069abd&bu=44854541524&osub=-1~1&crd=20240226095043&segname=11051

NZR Class A..JPG

Yes definitely an 'A' class.  If it's been made for 'O' gauge track it will be to 9mm to the foot scale which is a standard sizing for NZGR models here in New Zealand.  Not a bad little model at all, - it's certainly caught the character of an 'A' class fairly well.  I see someone has got it already for ten quid which would have to be an absolute bargain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Annie said:

Yes definitely an 'A' class.  If it's been made for 'O' gauge track it will be to 9mm to the foot scale which is a standard sizing for NZGR models here in New Zealand.  Not a bad little model at all, - it's certainly caught the character of an 'A' class fairly well.  I see someone has got it already for ten quid which would have to be an absolute bargain.

It was me, Annie- I got it for £18 - a bargain, I think.

Don't quite know what I'll do with it- if it IS 32mm gauge and 9mm scale then with 30" driving wheels in 7mm scale that's about 3'3". Hmm. Maybe if Dubs had built a slightly larger, standard gauge version? A new cab, lower boiler mountings, buffer beam and buffers? I think I see where this might be going....  Don't be cross Annie! TBH it will probably sit on my desk for a few years whilst I get through my other projects at a glacial pace.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

It was me, Annie- I got it for £18 - a bargain, I think.

Don't quite know what I'll do with it- if it IS 32mm gauge and 9mm scale then with 30" driving wheels in 7mm scale that's about 3'3". Hmm. Maybe if Dubs had built a slightly larger, standard gauge version? A new cab, lower boiler mountings, buffer beam and buffers? I think I see where this might be going....  Don't be cross Annie! TBH it will probably sit on my desk for a few years whilst I get through my other projects at a glacial pace.

Definitely still a bargain.  Lucky old you.  😀

What I find interesting is that a model of a very small class of early New Zealand locomotives built to a non-standard scale somehow ended up in the UK.

A good many years ago I went so far as to order a set of specially machined cast iron wheels for an 'A' class with the intention of building a model to suit Gauge 1 45mm track gauge.  Unfortunately far too much life happened and after I crawled out from the wreck of it all the last thing on my mind was what might have happened to a set of wheels for a model locomotive.

4 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

Hmm. Maybe if Dubs had built a slightly larger, standard gauge version? A new cab, lower boiler mountings, buffer beam and buffers? I think I see where this might be going....  Don't be cross Annie! TBH it will probably sit on my desk for a few years whilst I get through my other projects at a glacial pace.

No I'm not cross.  It's an interesting thought as to what a larger standard gauge version would be like.  They certainly were good locos, - not so useful once the NZ railways started to expand as their small size told against them, - and most of them ended up having far longer lives in industrial service that they ever did working for the NZ railways.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Annie said:

What I find interesting is that a model of a very small class of early New Zealand locomotives built to a non-standard scale somehow ended up in the UK.

A good many years ago I went so far as to order a set of specially machined cast iron wheels for an 'A' class with the intention of building a model to suit Gauge 1 45mm track gauge.  Unfortunately far too much life happened and after I crawled out from the wreck of it all the last thing on my mind was what might have happened to a set of wheels for a model locomotive.

Where, oh where would we be without the beauty and sanity of the Victorian steam locomotive Annie? Nothing on earth like it to enable us to cope when things fall to bits. 

All sorts of things surface from time to time in the UK- I have a foot pump labelled "PEC Marston NZ" and my brother has a 1/3 size Maori war canoe....

I'll post some more photos of the A class when it arrives.

Best wishes

J

• Thanks 1

Just spotted this on eBay an Austrian 1146 electric loco body on an Atlas RS3 chassis. The listing says the body is Roco but I wonder if it's actually Kleinmodellbahn given the issues that brand had with zinkpest. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296255913269?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=eILynVRKT_2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=l6JIfXIeQAC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_6631.png

IMG_6633.png

IMG_6632.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2024 at 15:51, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

There's some neat kitbash potential in the Oxford Rail N7 body. For reasons known only to the designer, much of the boiler concealed by the side tanks is modelled. If ever a Belpaire boiler body comes my way it will be tools out and carve away time to obtain a really small GER-ish 0-6-0.

Someone after my own heart. Eastern Region represent! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_6817.jpegJust spotted on eBay, four Athearn 4 bay hoppers cut and shut the make a pair of eight bay hoppers. They'll need some generous curves.

Edited by doctor quinn
Add caption
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2024 at 13:25, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

At Severn Valley today, and I saw this fancy thing at Bridgnorth…

IMG_9344.jpeg.b183f641caa986c91d67ac621ed3b025.jpeg

Scratchbuilt Great Bear based around the Dublo Castle (1/2in motor).

Oh, look, a T.Rex f*cking TGB’s tender…

• Funny 4

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Oh, look, a T.Rex f*cking TGB’s tender…

Precarious! Looks like his little front feet (hands? paws?) are able to hold on to the tender flare. There's another one s**gging the VW camper. Exhibitionists!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Friend of mine had a VW camper once; it was most definitely f*cked, though I would not be able to say that it was by a dinosaur.  Thing was probably old enough...

• Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...