Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

image.png.6cd5a26da0710768937d9900b11006bc.png

I'm back with another selection of eBay goodies I've discovered. Pictures as always are linked, and as always let me know if you end up with any of these as I love to hear the ongoing adventures of the stuff I find to show on here.
This is an interesting beast, sold by judith1951-2009. Got to love a freelance goods engine. I am very tempted to buy this myself, it is a lovely looking 2-8-0.

image.png.d7c2aa77ebeceb1c05a3d1c922448397.png

Also from Judith is this lovely Crystal Palace tank which I am very, VERY tempted by. I mean it's me with Great Eastern stuff, of course I am.

image.png.861da70e7aac8d2dfa01322b7b9d7402.png

And another by Judith. This 0-4-0T is adorable, though that tiny wheelbase worries me somewhat.

image.png.8c634f2c8b633f2ff71284f12f137a15.pngimage.png.2a885ee54d124c0c6b475d511e5276af.png

And time for a HETCi rather than a LETCI. These motorised ERTL Peter Sam and Rusty in RWS livery by aisgillbox are absolutely gorgeous. Just a shame the Sir Handel and Duncan in the background already seem to be gone so I can't also put them up.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Probably should've asked sooner.

Tenshodo motor bogies? Or are they off something else?

I used the original motors, which had cardean shafts to power the bogies, but it now has 1 motor per bogie.

1706658695730.jpg.2131184200577aecc5de26fe50fbffcf.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355421774097

German Hiawatha, anyone?

image.png.08d3362fb54d15e1dc68c9e5b69bc5c6.png

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Or how about a Britannia, or a 3MT...

image.png.c088d7bb11fdbb6ec1aaaedc6529e502.png
image.png.e19739971d0282d7d1364c6efc81470d.png

...In Garter Blue!

Well those are interesting. Great finds, Hackworth! That Germanised Hiawatha is particularly interesting. Wonder what inspired its creator to do that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/06/2022 at 09:50, Johnson044 said:

This is on Ebay at the mo. Maybe a combination of Airfix / Kitmaster Evening Star and a Tri-ang Brit chassis? It's been rather well done. Very much a product of the late '60's or early '70's and very refreshing. 

s-l1600.jpg

Decided to scroll through the thread out of curiosity and found this… The number 73012 belonged to a standard 5, possibly an amalgamation of the 9F and 4MT kits?

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Decided to scroll through the thread out of curiosity and found this… The number 73012 belonged to a standard 5, possibly an amalgamation of the 9F and 4MT kits?

It's entirely possible that was what they were going for.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2024 at 13:11, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Can't see much evidence of the 4MT tbh; that loco had very different (double, with a hefty motion bracket) slide bars & motion.  I'm wondering if it's a Trix mechanism (they did a 5MT and a Britannia for 16.5mm gauge to 3.8mm/foot scale), though the bogie is definitely Triang or Triang-Hornby.  ISTR that very tight clearances between the driving wheels were a feature of those mechs, and would not have been possible with flanged centre drivers.  I think the wheels have been replaced, though; the flanges look too fine for either Triang/T-H or Trix.  Difficult to say whether the boiler is part of a Trix Brit. bodyshell or a KM/Airfix kit, but there is no sign of Evening Star's double chimney being replaced.

The more you look at it the less sense it makes.  Presumably anyone wanting a 5MT in those days would have gone for the Trix RTR 5MTj rather than this rather strange kitbash, as surely if your objecton to the Trix was the odd scale (I had a TRIX Western, tall enough to not be obviously underscale), the fat boiler would stop you producing this. 

That said there was no RTR or kit provision for a Standard 5MT for the 60s and a good bit of the 70s, and an experienced kitbasher with the right components might well have produced this.  I certainly could not in all conscience criticise it, given some of the credulity-stretching I indulged in myself in those days (56xx consisting of a Jinty chassis that had become overfamiliar with an Airfix 61xx and a 43xx from a Black Princess, another 61xx, and an Airfix CoT were perhaps not my proudest moments, nor was the Triang Standard 3MT mech beneath an Airfix 4MT mogul with the motor so proudly on display for all the world to see from almost any angle; we all did foolish things when we were young. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

we all did foolish things when we were young.

Still proudly doing 'em now!

20220925_222849.jpg

20201029_013924.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Can't see much evidence of the 4MT tbh; that loco had very different (double, with a hefty motion bracket) slide bars & motion.  I'm wondering if it's a Trix mechanism (they did a 5MT and a Britannia for 16.5mm gauge to 3.8mm/foot scale), though the bogie is definitely Triang or Triang-Hornby.  ISTR that very tight clearances between the driving wheels were a feature of those mechs, and would not have been possible with flanged centre drivers.  I think the wheels have been replaced, though; the flanges look too fine for either Triang/T-H or Trix.  Difficult to say whether the boiler is part of a Trix Brit. bodyshell or a KM/Airfix kit, but there is no sign of Evening Star's double chimney being replaced.

Triang Brit chassis, not a Trix (Trix would’ve had that massive gear on the inside of the centre drivers, akin to the GraFar black five, alongside more complex valve gear). Main reason I suggested the 4MT kit was the smokebox and it’s taller, single chimney, though that could easily be a white metal cast on the 9F boiler.

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Presumably anyone wanting a 5MT in those days would have gone for the Trix RTR 5MTj rather than this rather strange kitbash, as surely if your objecton to the Trix was the odd scale, the fat boiler would stop you producing this. 

That said there was no RTR or kit provision for a Standard 5MT for the 60s and a good bit of the 70s, and an experienced kitbasher with the right components might well have produced this. 

There was an article on building a Class 5 from an Airfix Evening Star mounted on a Brit. chassis in RM Oct. '67. Of course it wasn't entirely accurate 😁

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds about the same dap as the Black Princess-Black 5 conversion in MRC around the same time, maybe a year or so earlier.  Another one of MRC’’s slightly dodgy bashes was a 2884 using an HD Stanier 8F chassis with a an equally HD Castle bodyshell that had been cut about a bit.  Can’t recall what were used for cylinders on this but it didn’t cut the mustard for me, and I had a 43xx out of a Black Princess with Airfix 61xx kit running plate & motion and a CoT on top; it used the CoT tender.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Sounds about the same dap as the Black Princess-Black 5 conversion in MRC around the same time, maybe a year or so earlier.

I remember that article, - and (cough) I even had a go at it myself.  Some sawn off bits from a Kitmaster 'Coronation' Pacific were thrown into the mix as well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

A Jubilee might have been easier; you wouldn’t have to cut away the splashers and the inside cylinder cover.  

Something tells me the final result was an LMS 4-6-0 of indeterminate origins.  BUT I was only young back then and still learning what was one end of a locomotive from the other.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't quite as daft as it sounds; the later Triang Princesses had Walcheart's, and the boiler was proportioned down to match the shortening of the model from scale length, so it wasn't ridiculously fat for a Black 5 or Jubilee, though it still needed shortening.  Smokebox was about right.  What was arguably more remarkable to me (and I argued it at the time, 1963-5) was that there was no RTR model of the most numerous classes in the country in those days, the Black 5 and the 57xx/8750 (I was unaware of the existence of the Graham Farish Black 5 for some time to come).  HD, to their credit, had produced a Stanier 8F and a Castle, both large classes, but there were no Halls, 37s, no 47s, 25s, LMS 4Fs, or many of the other really numerous and commonplace engines, not just yet.  Triang made chocolate and cream mk1s but no WR engine to pull them except arguably a renumbered Brit, and all the WR's Brits had been xfer to the LMR by then...

The situation began to improve a bit not long after; Triang Hall and Hymek, Trix Warship, Western, and 56xx, and more, and more, and more...

• Like 3

Unsure if this counts as a “kitbash” per-say, but I think the craftsmanship seen in wallsrail’s two videos on saving Hornby 31s from mazak rot deserves some credit.

Most people I used to talk to would’ve thrown in the towel the moment a fault arises, but this… I feel like skills such as this are severely lacking nowadays.

• Like 4

On 09/02/2024 at 18:41, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145598504520

s-l1600.png.673e8eb2c30de32adb217d1177bb28ff.png

No words, just another run of the mill Thomas & friends custom!

Yep. Just the par for the course around here. The thing that annoys me more is that the numbers don't match on the side tank and the bufferbeam.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Agree 2