The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Problem with toilet cistern (Australia).

brian777999

That is true but parts can be much more expensive from Tradelink or Reece (although not always). Anyway, the dinner party is over and as soon as everybody left last night I replaced the faulty part. Everything is working well now and it only cost me $20.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to do something about my cistern drip drip dripping now. It started last week and while not bad, seemed to get louder each day. I had no trouble unscrewing the top cap, and removing the rubber/plastic washer, thankfully (assisted by advice from earlier posts here). I cleaned the scale off the washer, which otherwise seemed perfectly intact and flexible, then smeared Vaseline over it, then reassembled it with the washer turned over to use the other surface. Put it all back together, turned the water back on and it filled up, but kept going to a higher than previous level, until I tightened the top screw cap a little further, then all was well ... and SILENT!

• Like 2

Not a good move, using Vaseline, unfortunately, as it is petroleum based.

It will hasten the demise of anything rubber based, you should have used

a silicone based grease, which is neutral. But at least you know what the

replacement part looks like, and how easy it is to change! :)  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Not a good move, using Vaseline, unfortunately, as it is petroleum based.

It will hasten the demise of anything rubber based, you should have used

a silicone based grease, which is neutral. But at least you know what the

replacement part looks like, and how easy it is to change! :)  

I don't think the washer was actually rubber - I described it as such to indicate its flexibility. It looks like a silicon material. And it was pink! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Generally ball valve washers and other such plumbing items are made from nitrile synthetic rubber and as such won't be particularly affected by Vaseline, it's just that in the trade we only carry silicon grease and spray for the situations where the seal needs to be protected. Vaseline is better than nothing.

Mike.

• Thanks 1