The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Problem with toilet cistern (Australia).

brian777999

• RMweb Gold

I would suspect there's a rubber washer inside the red cap that has perished and it's no longer able to cut off the inlet supply completely when the ballcock rises back up. Looks different to UK ones but I think the principle is the same.  Have replaced a few of these washers over the years!

• Agree 2

Not familiar with cisterns in Australia, but would suspect it's the washer under the red cap. Turn off the water and the cap will probably unscrew to reveal a washer beneath....

Of course I could be miles out, but something to check first.

Edit: At least two of us are suggesting the same thing....:D

Edited by gordon s

Not seen that arrangement before (never taken the lid off an Oz cistern). Another possibility, presumably there's a float on the bottom end of the wire that goes into the water? If the float is leaking slightly such that water has got in and reduced its buoyancy so there is insufficient force to shut the admission valve, that might lead to the trickle.

If not that, then I suspect component replacement as suggested above.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Quite common in the UK too.

See fix 2 and 3 here;

https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/toilet-repair/parts-of-a-toilet/

Agreed - I've done a couple of similar fixes, and replaced the whole inlet valve, both are quite easy with basic tools.

We live in a very hard water area, so limescale buildup is a big problem here - any plumbing fixtures don't last long...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, brian777999 said:

Our toilet cistern has developed a ''dribble'' : there is water leaking from under the red cap in the photo. I have fiddled about with it but I cannot get it to stop. Does anybody have a fix for this or will I need a new part ? 

toilet cistern.jpg

Can we have some more photos of the arrangement inside the cistern please? It Certainly has a strange look to it. Is the dribble on the filler into the tank or is water dribbling down the flush pipe into the pan?

Edited by Baby Deltic

Water is dribbling from under that red cap into the tank. I have tried to unscrew it but no luck doing that ; it does not look like something that is meant to unscrew. I might have a go at pulling it straight up and off.

Ha....I just watched the video so DO NOT PULL IT ! I will try to pull the arm up and push down on the cap at the same time and turn 1/8th turn anticlockwise as per the video.

Edited by brian777999
error

I reckon there's either a washer worn, or limescale buildup stopping the valve from seating properly and getting a good seal (if you done have soft water, that is).

What's that thing in the centre of the tank I've never seen a flush mechanism like that before. Can we have some more pictures? Just curious, is all.

Upon closer inspection I can now see that the water is coming up through the middle of the red cap then flowing down the side ; that made it look like it was coming from under the cap. I have not been able to remove the red cap even after watching the above video.

toilet cistern 2.jpg

toilet cistern 3.jpg

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, brian777999 said:

Our toilet cistern has developed a ''dribble'' : there is water leaking from under the red cap in the photo. I have fiddled about with it but I cannot get it to stop. Does anybody have a fix for this or will I need a new part ? 

toilet cistern.jpg

Take a look here at the section on the float valve.

https://mottplumbing.com.au/plumbing-tips/how-to-fix-a-leaking-toilet-or-cistern/

I suspect the valve is not seating properly and looking at the inside of your cistern, it does look like some mould or similar may be causing that. Try jiggling it around & perhaps it will clear.

You can get replacements at Bunnings and the like.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Baby Deltic said:

What's that thing in the centre of the tank I've never seen a flush mechanism like that before. Can we have some more pictures? Just curious, is all.

That is a dual flush toilet. There are two buttons on the top of the cistern lid. Pressing one only delivers about 1/3rd of the contents (for number 1's), the other delivers it all (obviously for number 2's)!

The intention is to save water.

I had a different problem recently, with the yoke-shaped lever which transferred the push on the flush button to movement of the column creating the flush of water: the lever broke in the middle, completely cracked through.

After trying various search terms, I found that the part was available from bunnings for around $13 (certainly not enough to break the budget!). The part was duly identified, purchased, and fitted. The part was listed as a "Caroma Single Flush Lever Bar and Weight", even though ours is a dual flush cistern, and I found that the weight was not required.

If the installation is similar to mine, the whole unit should unscrew from the bottom, once you have turned off the water supply and drained the water. 

However, depending on the length of time the unit has been in the cistern, the whole thing might be difficult to move and being plastic it will be quite fragile if the thread part is jammed by limescale or other debris. 

However, if you can get it off in one piece you will probably find it is seated on a large doughnut shaped washer which has developed blemishes and is not providing a true seal. The first thought would to throw this washer away, and replace it with a new one; but sometimes just turning it over (assuming the other side is unblemished) and re-seating the syphon unit works just as well and costs nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Speaking with my trade hat on, these things aren't usually worth the faffing about, for some of the reasons previously mentioned.

Personally, I'd just hoik the the whole valve out and replace it with a similar one, I don't know what brands you have in upside down land, but I only used Fluidmaster in the UK, additionally the "professional" version with the brass inlet thread.

Mike.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2019 at 10:02, Nick C said:

<snip>

We live in a very hard water area, so limescale buildup is a big problem here - any plumbing fixtures don't last long...

I also live in a very hard water area.  I fitted a softener and have had no subsequent problems with fixtures leaking, and I've had it for so long I can't remember how long (does that make sense?

Dave

• RMweb Gold

It would appear that the black portion is a float operated valve. Try lifting the float, and see if, or when, the dribbling stops. If it stops, the chances are that the valve is 'letting by'. , or the float is leaking, giving a false level. Either way, I'd have the lot out and replace with new.

Cheers,

Ian.

I have bought a complete float valve from Bunnings ($20/ Fluidmaster) but my wife is giving a dinner party tonight  so I thought I would wait until after that is finished. I would not be popular if I stuffed things up and we had no toilet at all while having eight people over for dinner ! In the mean time I have turned the tap right down to the minimum ; it fills very slowly but it is not so noisy.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, russ p said:

Probably caused by water rotating anti clockwise when it was designed for clockwise flushing! 

Yeah but, yeah but ... the water is also upside down so it weighs less and rotates anti-anti-clockwise upside down! :P  :jester:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

Brian rather than reading all this take a photo of the part, go to tradelink or Reece.. the trade desk will generally explain what is going on and sell you the exact part to fix it. 

Bunnings isn't good as you want exact advice from tradies.... which generally tradelink and Reece have on the trade desks. 

• Informative/Useful 1