The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The BBC were divested of all their money-spinning activities because they were "anti-competitive", they were forced to hand large parts of their programme making to independent companies because keeping it in-house was "anti-competitive" and now they don't even get the maximum cash benefit from repeats on Dave, etc, for those programmes.

They couldn't compete in the broadcast rights sales for all the major sports, imagine the howls of outrage from the anti-licence fee mob if they had stuck their necks out and paid up for Premier football for example.

How does keeping full coverage of Wimbledon fit in with this when everything else has been watered down or cancelled completely?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

How does keeping full coverage of Wimbledon fit in with this when everything else has been watered down or cancelled completely?

Possibly because

• The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club aren't swayed by Sky channel exclusivity
  • There doesn't appear to be mega-bucks sponsors involved
  • Tennis is "niche" and not a big money spinner in the eyes of the broadcasting parasites

I don't know. Perhaps the BBC is clinging onto its last big sports event. If you like tennis, thats good because you don't have to break every 15 minutes for "a word from our sponsors".

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

when its the government who are to blame for not funding the BBC properly and heaping toxic liabilities on them.

Really?!

At the risk of major thread drift I'd say that the Beeb are already getting more than enough money but not spending it well. Also noting that the Gov do not fund them, we do. 

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Have any of the drivers ever raced there? 

Sorry to do a laugh, but only the two Ferrari Guys, it's owned by the Red Team and is their testing ground.

Should be interesting, haha:good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hobby said:

27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

only the two Ferrari Guys, it's owned by the Red Team and is their testing ground.

According to Wiki:

The present-day closed Mugello circuit was constructed in 1973 and opened in 1974, about 5 km east from the easternmost part of the original road circuit. The circuit was used for the in-season test during the 2012 Formula One season, by all teams except HRT. An unofficial track record of 1:21.035 was set by Romain Grosjean during the test.

So anyone currently driving in F1 who was driving anything but an HRT in 2012 should have experience of driving on the circuit.  I make that list:

• Vettel
  • Hamilton
  • Räikkönen
  • Grosjean
  • Hülkenberg
  • Ricciardo

Arguably, driving on a circuit is not necessarily quite the same as racing on it, which even the above named won't have experience of (unless maybe they have past race experience from lower formulae - which then might also apply to other current F1 drivers not on that list).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I just Gooooooogled Ferrari Test Track.

Mugello Circuit (Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello) is a race track in Scarperia e San Piero, Tuscany, Italy. The circuit length is 5.245 km (3.259 mi). It has 15 turns and a 1.141 km (0.709 mi) long straight.[1] The circuit stadium stands have a capacity of 50,000.

Grand Prix motorcycle racing host an annual event at the circuit (for MotoGP and smaller classes). In 2007 and 2008 the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters held an annual event. The track is owned by Scuderia Ferrari, which uses it for Formula One testing. The first race of the A1GP 2008–09 season was originally planned to be held at the Mugello circuit on 21 September 2008. However, the race had to be cancelled due to the delay in building the new chassis for the new race cars.[2]

The circuit will host its first ever Formula One race on 13 September 2020, named the Tuscan Grand Prix, as part of the season being restructured due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[3] This Grand Prix will be the 1000th Grand Prix for Scuderia Ferrari.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Mercedes have posted a guide using their SIM.

Also Marc Priestley has previously said McLaren have tested there on their own.

That looks like a long run to turn 1. Looking forward to the race this weekend 

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

I cannot see this being a problem anyway.

I am sure they have all driven around it in simulators enough times to be 98% familiar. It is a Moto GP circuit so not shrouded in secrecy.

They can catch up on the last 2% during practise. These are supposed to be among the best 20 drivers in the world. I am sure they can manage.

Finding enough circuits is an issue this year which is why the A1 ring & Silverstone were used twice. I am looking forward to seeing the cars on a "new" track.

• Agree 4

22 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I was just going to suggest Perez should be on @ejstubbs list above, only to find Perez out of racing point at end of season https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54095848 to make way for Vettel...

BLODDY MADNESS if they do indeed sign The Vet. Perez has done a great job for the Team, and saved them so that Stroll could buy it, it has to be one of the most ludicrous decisions of 2020.

Only the actual signing of Vet could be worse IMHO.:butcher: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

46 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I was just going to suggest Perez should be on @ejstubbs list above, only to find Perez out of racing point at end of season https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54095848 to make way for Vettel...

9 minutes ago, didcot said:

Perez basically saved the team and that's how he's repaid. I wouldn't touch the spinning top that is Vettel with someone else's barge pole, let alone mine!

I'm afraid Stroll both snr and Jnr reputation will go down in many peoples opinion.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I bet he’s madder than that careful statement! Certainly not burning bridges behind him and Haas would be wise to grab him as he’s better than their dodgem drivers ;) 

Would not surprise me to see him signed for Haas or Williams by the weekend, and drive like a snail for the rest of the season getting as few points for RP as possible.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I doubt it’ll affect Lance really and I bet Father doesn’t care as a team owner, he doesn’t really answer to anyone with his shareholding. No driver’s going to turn down the offer if they have no other seat. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I bet he’s madder than that careful statement! Certainly not burning bridges behind him and Haas would be wise to grab him as he’s better than their dodgem drivers ;) 

Could he replace Kvyatt at Alphatori or however you spell it?

• Like 1