Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

That's done it. As soon as I have Aston reassembled in its new home I think I'll take a break and build my rake of cattle wagons. 

They've been waiting patiently since about 1987. At least I now have all the wheels, bearings and couplings for a dozen wagons, which was always my excuse for not building them sooner.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I suspect that there's a few of you got hold the wrong end of the stick there...😀

If I were the sort of chap who could afford to give away vintage sports cars, I suspect that I would have a team of craftsmen building the entire Clun Valley railway in the manner it was proposed and a team of builders creating a climate controlled building to put it in....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 10/04/2022 at 12:11, Mikkel said:

Yes, I've saved the cached Google pics, low resolution but better than nothing. Fingers crossed it all clears up.

After planning the roof layout on paper, matching to the inner supports etc this is transferred to what I had hoped to be the roof. Initial trials suggest the plastic too rigid to accept the tight curve required to meet the body. I do not want to apply the amount of pressure required to bend and hold besides my vice does not extend to over 24cm and I feel this needs to be accomplished in one go. To this end I have had to order some thin brass sheet. I will repeat the 'plan' transfer onto the roof drill out the small detail holes and then hold my breath when cutting out the skylight gaps. Looks like Easter will be fun!

DSCF0414.JPG.868838d40b35b4144e646c4c0699dcb3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Took the plunge! Using a knife I experimented with an off cut to see what sort of impression could be made. It appears that a knife will cut this brass sheet as if it was a thick piece of plasticard. So slowly and carefully a start is made. After a near disasterous slip I remembered @Mikkel's Blu-Tac safety measure when converting his pannier. No tac available I has used small strips of masking tape. this acts as a buffer at the end of each cut to hopefully nullify, if not eradicate, any further slips leading to scratch lines on the roof.

DSCF0430.JPG.0348369d4ee6e7c531c98abe95d0fdad.JPG  DSCF0431.JPG.f7637ecebfb1ad20d5634d2ce9037c8b.JPG

Any 'squaring' can be finished off with a needle file.

As you can see I have start shaping the roof as well. Again very slowly as I do not have the right tools. Firstly rough forming around the existing roof forms on the wagon. Once curve area has been establish I am using a brass rod to continuingly roll the curve, checking against the wagon forms constantly. This is going to take time but better that than have to start again.

For those interested; The rod is an aquarium algae scraper, the type that has a plastic V at one end to plant, plants and a plastic holder with a blade in at the other to scrap off algae from inside the aquarium. Both plastic ends are prone to damage/breakage but keeping the rod for poking about the tanks has proved invaluable over the years and now for the railway 🙃

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I like the sound of brass that can be cut with a knife! Cutting brass sheet properly has always been a challenge for me.

Use of the algae scraper is a nice example of modeller's ingenuity. I suppose your next GWR vehicle will be a Tadpole? (sorry!).

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

30 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I like the sound of brass that can be cut with a knife! Cutting brass sheet properly has always been a challenge for me.

Use of the algae scraper is a nice example of modeller's ingenuity. I suppose your next GWR vehicle will be a Tadpole? (sorry!).

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Give him time and he'll produce a Toad. (Not in the least sorry...)

Your are both very right in what you say. I certainly need to get on with brake vans but I do have a tadpole in the 'to do' pile.

The modelling knife I used is not overly sharp having been used for this build and my last two plastic kits. This may be a factor as if too sharp my slip easier, not sure. The brass is from Albion Alloys and is 0.12mm thick ref SM1 is does flex very easily.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Skylights cleared. real care is a must to preserve fingers and the roof. I did slip a little which provided me with a nice long scratch but not very deep, luckily. This will have a little filler across it later.

DSCF0432.JPG.c6dd9450600f4908b84fe04458b82ac1.JPG

A little more bending and shaping. This is becoming increasingly easier but also has it's dangers as all the all the additional holes are making it more and more fragile.

Found myself a pleasing profile. This is a little wider at the top than the roof formers but allows the curved edges to nicely fall around and over the highest point.

DSCF0433.JPG.14400e3ef035053ea68377ed3d98670b.JPG  DSCF0434.JPG.9575f3e644c28ebeb4f307027ad92a14.JPG

Had to open the gas lamp and vent holes a little more and then onto fixing some of the roof details. Gas lamps and Shell vents are white metal and now soldered to the roof. This has increased the overall rigidity of the roof and has enabled me to progress the profile curve a little further.

Rain strips, Running boards, skylights and the stove chimney to finish off. I have already formed the grab handles for the end with steps and drilled locating holes in the end. Need to add some steps to the chassis as I forgot those when I built the chassis 🙈

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Been a little time thinking about how to tackle the skylights and destination boards.  Decided to use the same method of a drawn outline on paper cut to form a stencil. The skylight 'box' is formed to check for stability and strength as I am using .010 x .125 strip. I decided not to use brass sheet as the risk of distortion whilst cutting by either knife or scissors would be too great.

DSCF0438.JPG.fbb19060d2b79c856c4fa0c4677748f0.JPG  DSCF0439.JPG.6e8b16317dfd79cc7eaa25d11414787c.JPG

DSCF0440.JPG.4b389791b3b477bbad69a61b840c28bb.JPG

The 'box' is surprising strong given the size and four joins. I had imagined cutting a small triangle to place on top to forming the apex but have have now decided to form this as a single end section. No need to complicate things 🙃 

DSCF0441.JPG.3baf7a03a2b466d5842b7ec75055cdb2.JPG  DSCF0442.JPG.f799d323dc542e53efd848112932b341.JPG

Now to finish off the other three. 

• Like 5

Continuing with the plasticard strips to make up the window framing;

DSCF0443.JPG.ac7f793910d680d547a15bba505afb29.JPG  DSCF0444.JPG.3fc2df3d27020bf0e34500ba57980ba9.JPG

Made up the outer frame, then the top cross brace. The outer framing is plastic strip 1.3mm x 0.3mm. This is very flexible so can make the shape over the top without any cracks or breaks. The cross brace is more rigid plastic 1.1mm x 0.5mm which helps to keep the whole thing square and strong. Measured out and marked for the internal pane frames. These are made with 0.6mm x 0.3mm plastic strip with an angle cut at one end to butt against the top frame to square things up. Here's the end product, with weld drying times it has taken about 24hrs to complete this one, just three more to go!

DSCF0445.JPG.420351a0ed56bda5f7ea2ccdbb487a17.JPG  Once attached to the roof and painted the glazing will be cut to size and popped in each side.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

11 hours ago, 57xx said:

The roof looks to be coming on well Matt. What are you planning to do for rainstrips?

Thank you.

I plan to use 0.25mm x 0.5mm plastic strip held in place with superglue as with the gas pipes but looking at plastic rod for that. 

I decided against as I dont have anything suitable and I do not think I would make a decent enough arc and certainly not able to make a mirror image the other side.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Get the arc is hard, no doubt about that! I was tipped off (by Ian MacDonald IIRC) to try using tape. It was very useful to be able to reposition the kinks in the arc, worth a look at trying maybe?

• Informative/Useful 1

State of play with the roof skylights. Two finished and two nearly there, having remade one already. I though it was something else that was meant to make you go blind! 🥸😇

DSCF0447.JPG.3e8989f3fa75945a4a9949d0ec5bab92.JPG

I am a slow modeller but I have also had a little distraction this weekend;

DSCF0448.JPG.654fb2e124cb43064bf2f4540ea1996b.JPG

Shame I have a slight whitening from the varnish but this can be masked with coal dust. I am a sucker for the wagon kits. I can not get enough of them!!!! Couplings and sprinkling of coal to add to finish off. This will be an empty as I managed to get the internal irons painted satisfactorily and the floor fits both ends and sides 😲

• Like 6

Well the roof is virtually completed. It genuinely has been a struggle to motivate myself to this point as it has not be plain sailing nor overly enjoyable, making up the skylights and frames not to mention the call of the veg plot! I forgot to take pictures during the finishing touches although this was pretty much; select, measure, cut and stick. I have used a variety of plastic strip to fabricate the skylight boxes and frames. The rain strips are 0.25x0.5mm evergreen strip and the gas light piping is Slaters plastic rod 20 Thou. Whilst I was ordering this I could not help myself but order one of the MR drop side 3 plankers, this is my motivation for the final push. 

I have glued the plastics to the brass, the rain strips are not fully glued to enable the curve. This I hope will be anchored when painted. I have just the running boards to shape and fix and it will be ready for priming.

749547040_DSCF0470(1).JPG.a6815007e41120bbcf57691da918d622.JPG  DSCF0471.JPG.b24123c4f975f21b35afcb3cf4d4d6b5.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7