Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

I too can vouch for the superior quality of @chuffinghell's printed wagons, as I built three T3  prototypes for appraisal and it may possibly have been me who pestered him to create them, but it wouldn't have happened without his drawing ability and knowledge of exactly how to support the print of a longer wagon than most prints to keep everything square and straight.

On the subject of scribing parallel lines such as wagon interior planks, this tool, known variously as the Jenny caliper, Odd leg or Hermaphrodite caliper is an absolute godsend. I've used one for years on sheet metal for marking out and another has ended up in the house for modelling purposes.

With care, you can scribe lines inside a built up wagon.

firm-joint-jenny-caliper-125mm-p21843-120142_image.jpg.8a625c26196a211243862082ce116020.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A wagon frenzy! Great stuff Matt. You're going to be needing more foam for your clever wagon storage solution.

Chris' prints do look good. As opposed to something else I am working on right now. The 3D printing scene seems to be a Wild West at the moment, some prints are superb and some are very poor, but you can't always tell the difference from advert photos because these days anything can be made to look good in an image.

Edited by Mikkel
foam not foram
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I too can vouch for the superior quality of @chuffinghell's printed wagons, as I built three T3  prototypes for appraisal and it may possibly have been me who pestered him to create them,

I didn’t consider it pestering, I enjoyed the distraction from the layout challenge 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

On the subject of scribing parallel lines such as wagon interior planks, this tool, known variously as the Jenny caliper, Odd leg or Hermaphrodite caliper is an absolute godsend. I've used one for years on sheet metal for marking out and another has ended up in the house for modelling purposes.

Yes, but try and find a pair with a pencil rather than a sharp point. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Yes, but try and find a pair with a pencil rather than a sharp point. 

Having seen the picture of one, I'd want both - one for scribing and one for drawing. Do they come with lockable screw adjust, like the better pairs of compasses?

It occurs to me that there may be some difficulty in keeping the scribed or drawn line parallel to the edge, as the offset distance will depend on the angle at which the tool is held. Something like a T-square might give more accurate results?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Having seen the picture of one, I'd want both - one for scribing and one for drawing. Do they come with lockable screw adjust, like the better pairs of compasses?

No, the odd-legs are engineer's tools, but it may be possible to replace the point on a draughtsman's compass with a home-made odd-leg end. I suspect this would have to be made of steel. 

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It occurs to me that there may be some difficulty in keeping the scribed or drawn line parallel to the edge, as the offset distance will depend on the angle at which the tool is held. Something like a T-square might give more accurate results?

Keeping the drawn line parallel to the edge is a matter of skill and practice. 

I once made a marking gauge from a length of 1/8" steel rod and an old gear wheel that had a screw fixing. It had a scriber point which was a force fit into a radial hole. Making one with a pencil lead would be slightly more complicated

Edited by billbedford
  • Informative/Useful 1

The pivot at the top of the Jenny caliper is fitted with a type of Thackray washer and is very stiff. It can also be tightened if necessary. 

Although a little practice is required at first perhaps, it's a pretty much foolproof tool and I'd recommend it to anyone. 

The tip isn't massively sharp and could be further blunted if required. 

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2024 at 00:25, MrWolf said:

I too can vouch for the superior quality of @chuffinghell's printed wagons, as I built three T3  prototypes for appraisal and it may possibly have been me who pestered him to create them, but it wouldn't have happened without his drawing ability and knowledge of exactly how to support the print of a longer wagon than most prints to keep everything square and straight.

With care, you can scribe lines inside a built up wagon.

firm-joint-jenny-caliper-125mm-p21843-120142_image.jpg.8a625c26196a211243862082ce116020.jpg

I bought one of these to mark out port heights when tuning 2 stroke barrels. Turns on they are quite good (but not brilliant if the point isn't that sharp) for scribing planks

image.png.6a378cae27e50540dde79c2c50208546.png

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I bought one of these to mark out port heights when tuning 2 stroke barrels. Turns on they are quite good (but not brilliant if the point isn't that sharp) for scribing planks

Yes, but the original post observed that the inner sides of wagon planks had no chamfer on the top edges, so a scribed line is inappropriate and the edges of the planks are better represented by lines made by a pencil. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, billbedford said:

Yes, but the original post observed that the inner sides of wagon planks had no chamfer on the top edges, so a scribed line is inappropriate and the edges of the planks are better represented by lines made by a pencil. 

Yes, but where did I mention chamfers? I was stating it is a good tool for scribing planks. People might want to score planks other than inside a wagon. You can also do light scores you know? Are your prints perfectly flat on the inside?

On 29/04/2024 at 15:20, billbedford said:

Not if you use a compass or a miniature marking gauge. Set it to the plank depths and run the point rod around the top of the planks. 

Actually, I print grooves on the inside of the planks, but at only two-thirds the width of the outer ones. This should be just enough to show when weathering, but not noticalble otherwise. That's the theory anyway.

Oh no, they're not are they. :)

Certainly some tooling to keep in mind and the possibilities.

Friday is for F.

20240503_110908.jpg.d16bd81cca8e099a98ac5592bda6e329.jpg

It was nice to have the opportunity to get some soldering done on this. I'm not that keen using glues on metal.

This has been an enjoyable kit to build. Some very nicely fitting parts. The white metal castings are not the best and dome are quite weak but a little care can be made up nicely. The instructions did say to drill through the Queen posts in order to locate the rods. I chickened out of that even though the kit Co.es with a couple of spares.

Even my plastic kits I use EMA plastic weld which melts the plastic so kind of like soldering plastics. (Guess the clue is in the name 🤪). Now just a little clean up and primer. Put a little filler around some of the joints I had made a bad job of. Primer helped show those up for me.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

On 01/05/2024 at 06:00, Mikkel said:

Chris' prints do look good. As opposed to something else I am working on right now. The 3D printing scene seems to be a Wild West at the moment, some prints are superb and some are very poor, but you can't always tell the difference from advert photos because these days anything can be made to look good in an image.

I know what you mean. I have been very careful not to get over excited by some offerings and 'come back the next day' before a final decision.

I can certainly vouch on Chris' behalf highly detailed and very consistent. Besides he also personally inspects all prints and will not dispatch if he would not accept it himself.

Hope you are able to create something positive with what you are working on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

T3s ready for transfers, oh and brake handles.

20240509_105045.jpg.d08d217bc7eeaae36b0bad5677eabc20.jpg

20240509_105056.jpg.952a3f80b8bfbfe38c6172bd27d3dd8f.jpg

20240509_105123.jpg.2c99fa6026d4947be44107b2938cc28d.jpg

Areo and Ts are on the roster for transfer applications. Whilst 11 open wagon chassis' are waiting a body fit. Mink roof to be whitened awaiting grey spray with the crane and runner but that will be after the weed killer is finished. Busy busy. Things have got out of control again.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Look great, painting has certainly brought out the details

Hope you're still pleased with them

I think I might even print one for myself 🤔

Edited by chuffinghell

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

As you already have the accompanying workshop van I don't think you need an excuse! 😁

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Look great, painting has certainly brought out the details

Hope you're still pleased with them

Thank you and thank you. The prints and detailing are outstanding quality. I only splash a little colour. I am well and truly over the moon with these and all the other wagons you have created for me.

I would offer the paint and finish one for you but I know you would want to do it to your high exacting standards anyway.

What's next?!!!! 🤣🤪🤣🤪🤣🤪🤣😃👍🏻 Got that Cordon off the drawing board?

• Like 2

On 02/05/2024 at 18:17, 57xx said:

image.png.6a378cae27e50540dde79c2c50208546.png

And @MrWolf @billbedford

I have used one of these tools to scribe plants before. You do have to be careful of pressure as this will gauge depth and width.

17154443778387840784696467798520.jpg.73402b5852f9bc66ca139bbd4c308eee.jpg

17154444033657366217396405177827.jpg.de9c7d80c094fc0f68201ffcf664ece3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

And @MrWolf @billbedford

I have used one of these tools to scribe plants before. You do have to be careful of pressure as this will gauge depth and width.

17154443778387840784696467798520.jpg.73402b5852f9bc66ca139bbd4c308eee.jpg

17154444033657366217396405177827.jpg.de9c7d80c094fc0f68201ffcf664ece3.jpg

I have a non branded version of one of those, also a useful tool. 

• Like 2