Bulleid 2HAP EMU

Hi Mark,

Good to hear from you! How are those racks going?!

I will take a few pics of the handles later. They seem slightly over-size, but at least they are uniform in shape. I have decided against representing the commode handle bolt detailing (that Steph had suggested) because I really wasn't confident about making a tidy job of it.

It would appear that in the 'blue' BR liveryat least, the handles were painted with just the commode handles being bare metal. I suspect that the finish was nickel or chrome plated - not brass, so I am still contemplating painting these parts with metallic paint. The easier option would be to scrape off the paint finish to expose the brass. We shall see.

Colin

Hi Colin

Racks are back with the etchers........not heard any more but eagerly awaiting their arrival. I will let you know when they've arrived and been tested.

What about tinning them with solder (assuming that they're not already glued in of course)?

Adam

Great idea Adam thanks for the tip may incorporate that in my build.

Mark

Why not go the whole hog and have doors that can actually slide? They certainly look like they can! cool.gif

Hello Horsetan,

I think sliding doors in 4mm is going a little too far!

However, nobody has yet spotted that my doors in the posted picture of the corridor partition were actually modelled as sliding the wrong way! I have since corrected this.

Colin

Well it's been a comedy of errors since the last picture was posted.

That brown over-spray turned out to be a mixture of paint and adhesive from the masking tape that was put on to shield the outside surface of the bodies from a rather too dilute (as it turned out) misting of brown paint on the interiors' sides. What a job to get rid of the brown patches it was, they were all sticky, but eradicated in the end. I then masked the outsides of the bodyshells and proceeded with the first coat of rail blue.

'The curse of Steph' came upon me: (Remember how he was concerned about the fragility of those 10 thou plastic details?). When admiring the result of the painting, thus far, I noticed some of the bottom door hinges were missing! I thought I'd just stick on some more plastic ones and ignore the obvious: they were just not going to stand up to even careful handling. The solution, and something I will always do with models from now on, was to represent the bottom door hinges with 10 thou brass strip. The brass strips are now set with superglue into tiny slots in the sides made with a no. 77 drill. The drill was manipulated up and down form the initial pilot hole in a sort of 'routing' fashion to produce the slots (32 of them).

Anyway that is enough waffle, a few pics:

The first picture gives some idea of the livery and the chassis (work in progress on weathering them). 'MissPrism' might notice the changes to the cab side-window frames. Perhaps still a little too wide, but radically reduced in thickness. There are some minor corrections to do on painted edges and over-spray with some 800 grade wet and dry paper before anything else is done. As an aside, there was a lot of swearing when the masking tape had been removed from the roof of the coach. Where was the other air horn? Answer: In the bin stuck to the scrunched up tape!

post-8139-128056759722_thumb.jpg

This shot of the DTCL gives an idea of the handles. I will fill any gaps around the commode handles with tiny dabs of blue paint. Also visible is the revised coupling. This is like a permanent Alex Jackson type. The previous design caused derailments on reverse curves. Goodness me! There is very badly scribed door-line (2nd from the left) - sorry!

post-8139-128056756824_thumb.jpg

And finally, one of the inner end. The headstock and buffer casing will be painted black. The wheelsets installed at present are Bachmann ones - at least they are concentric. I might use these permanently, after turning the flanges down to a reasonable profile. - Just noticed that speck of dust in the paint finish on the bottom edge of the side - grrr!

post-8139-128056755285_thumb.jpg

I am going to get the interior finished to a basic level so that the DCC wiring can be done, with wires running under seats etc. Then, all being well, the transfers can go on. I have to double check the numbering of the coaches for my chosen unit, 5623. There will have to be some chopping of the numbers on the Modelmaster sheet.

Colin

Hi Colin B)

Cracking work despite the minor setbacks, happens to us all!......the door bumper stops really show up now they've been painted, superb level of detail Are you going to highlight the rubber parts to these?

The commode handles look great.

In my opinion the door handles lack the finesse of the "T" handles i've purchased ( I wish now i'd remembered to send you some with the etch which is what I intended to do!), mainly due to their lack of dimensional shape but its only minor criticism and I'm guessing too late to change now ........sorry.

The end detail looks absolutely fantastic, I've started mine and I know what you mean when you mentioned previously in this thread the difficulty trying to get everything proportionally correct.

Regards the numbering

5601-5636 Motor Coach Numbers 14521- 14556

Driving Trailer Numbers 16001-16036

If they ran sequential that would mean 14543 and 16023, but don't quote me, please verify.

Mark

Hi Colin cool.gif

Cracking work despite the minor setbacks, happens to us all!......the door bumper stops really show up now they've been painted, superb level of detail Are you going to highlight the rubber parts to these?

The commode handles look great.

In my opinion the door handles lack the finesse of the "T" handles i've purchased ( I wish now i'd remembered to send you some with the etch which is what I intended to do!), mainly due to their lack of dimensional shape but its only minor criticism and I'm guessing too late to change now ........sorry.

The end detail looks absolutely fantastic, I've started mine and I know what you mean when you mentioned previously in this thread the difficulty trying to get everything proportionally correct.

Regards the numbering

If they ran sequential that would mean 14543 and 16023, but don't quote me, please verify.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your post.

I might give the door stops a dab of black paint. The door handles that I fitted had a half-etch as though the handle should be folded down to face outwards. I didn't do this because it didn't look right having an off-centre spindle/back plate. Perhaps you could tell me who makes the ones you are using - I can always pull off the ones I have fitted.

The inner ends near enough complete. It could be that the emergency brake ducting is not in the right position, but photos suggest that it wasn't like the drawing either. The inner ends are going to be quite heavily weathered, especially towards the middles as the washing plant brushes couldn't clean in between the close-coupled stock very effectively.

I had come to the same calculation re. the coach numbers. It would be logical to assume that vehicle and unit numbers were applied in sequence, but who knows for certain what went on in reality.

All the best,

Colin

This just gets better and better, Colin. In spite of the minor setbacks, it looks superb. cool.gif In the words of the current generation: kewell!!

Hi SRman,

Thanks for that comment! I think that the minor setbacks have taught me what to do (or not to do) next time.

Colin

Colin,

This is a lovely piece of work, nice to see it progressing so well.

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished now. biggrin.gif

Steph

Hi Steph,

You can't imagine how much I'm looking forward to finishing this thing! Twelve weeks is a long time in modelling. I must say that once the paint started going on I felt quite relieved. I have enjoyed it all, though never thought it would take this long. Its the first thing I've scratch-built for a very long time - but will not be the last....

Colin

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your post.

I might give the door stops a dab of black paint. The door handles that I fitted had a half-etch as though the handle should be folded down to face outwards. I didn't do this because it didn't look right having an off-centre spindle/back plate. Perhaps you could tell me who makes the ones you are using - I can always pull off the ones I have fitted.

The inner ends near enough complete. It could be that the emergency brake ducting is not in the right position, but photos suggest that it wasn't like the drawing either. The inner ends are going to be quite heavily weathered, especially towards the middles as the washing plant brushes couldn't clean in between the close-coupled stock very effectively.

I had come to the same calculation re. the coach numbers. It would be logical to assume that vehicle and unit numbers were applied in sequence, but who knows for certain what went on in reality.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

I'll send you a few of the "Rolls Royce" handles (IMO) today.

That way you can make your own opinion without purchasing 25 of them

Mark ;)

Hi Colin,

I'll send you a few of the "Rolls Royce" handles (IMO) today.

That way you can make your own opinion without purchasing 25 of them

Mark wink.gif

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your offer to send some handles. I could return them if it leaves you short for your unit. I shall be waiting a few days anyway before completing the bodies, as I have realised that I am one 'arrow' logo short for the cab sides (due to an accident with one on the BR 2 HAP model last year).

Modelmaster are sending a pack, so I have time to decide on if it is to be 'Rolls-Royce' or 'status quo' (not the old rock band!) with the door handles.

Colin

Regards the numbering

Mark

In the 1976 RCTS coaching stock book they were sequential with

5601 = 14521 + 16001 et seq

to

5636 = 14556 + 16036

with the exception of 5624 = 14493 + 16024, with a note that 14493 is a 4-EPB car, and the unit seats 120 2nd instead of 122 for the rest

Where did 14544 go?

• RMweb Gold

My Monies on the 4DD much more adventurous

Mark

Adventurous, yes, but not related to Colin's equally excellent Newhaven layout. After all, the 4DDs - there were only two - pretty much stayed on the Bexleyheath (aka Eggs & Beef, Beezer or Bunkum) line all their careers, and would not have been route-cleared for anywhere near the South Coast. A 6-Pan would be much more local, although not that regular south of Southerham Junction, and, like the 4DD, out of period for Colin's mid-70s timeframe.

If Colin needed ideas for nostalgic prototypes, perhaps a Nelson ought to be on his list for consideration. Now those were real units!

In the 1976 RCTS coaching stock book they were sequential with

5601 = 14521 + 16001 et seq

to

5636 = 14556 + 16036

with the exception of 5624 = 14493 + 16024, with a note that 14493 is a 4-EPB car, and the unit seats 120 2nd instead of 122 for the rest

Where did 14544 go?

Thanks eastwestdivivde,

I have numbered the unit/vehicles exactly as you and Ark Royal suggested. Lucky I wasn't modelling unit 5624.

14544 was most likely written-off after being damaged in a collision. There seem to have been plenty of 'pitch-ins' at depots let alone in service (see A Southern Eletric Album' by Michael Welch p. 42, showing the demise of a 2 BIL DTCL at Lover's Walk Depot, Brighton).

Colin

Is there an inkling of a sequel in the pipeline already?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Your little 'Rolls-Royce' handles turned up today! Ordering two packs forthwith. The present 2 HAP handles will be yanked out in due course and replaced with these remarkable turned components.

Colin

Adventurous, yes, but not related to Colin's equally excellent Newhaven layout. After all, the 4DDs - there were only two - pretty much stayed on the Bexleyheath (aka Eggs & Beef, Beezer or Bunkum) line all their careers, and would not have been route-cleared for anywhere near the South Coast. A 6-Pan would be much more local, although not that regular south of Southerham Junction, and, like the 4DD, out of period for Colin's mid-70s timeframe.

If Colin needed ideas for nostalgic prototypes, perhaps a Nelson ought to be on his list for consideration. Now those were real units!

Hi Oldddudders,

Your knowledge of the prototype shines through yet again! 6 PANs and 6 PULs ran to Eastbourne but I don't think they ever ran down the 'Seaford' branch. The boat trains were loco-hauled until after the withdrawal of those units. However, if I re-named my layout Newhaven Harbour c. 1970, all kinds of things are possible (including the running of my green liveried 2 BIL legitimately):

4 COR units eeked out their last years of service on the Coastway services and some were stabled at Seaford, inculding the preserved one (the number of which escapes me at the moment). These units ran until 1972 until replaced by - you've guesed already, haven't you?! - the Bulleid 2 HAPs.

Colin

I have been reading the replies in a slightly haphazard fashion, but will try to answer all the speculation about the next unit.

Definitely the next model will not be a 4DD. I once had a ride in one at an Ashford open day - it was awfully cramped and five minutes inside was plenty for me. How they lasted for twenty years in service is a wonder, their being too slow to load at peak times made the extra capacity useless.

I have been thinking about a 4 CIG though, as MJT make brass etchings and other components for them. On the other hand, I have quite enjoyed doing things the 'hard way', so maybe a 2 HAL or even 'Tin HAL' would be fun.

I'm not sure it would be of interest to anyone to run a topic on building another unit though, as it would most likey be made the same in the way as this 2 HAP.

Colin

Hi Colin,

If you do decide to build any other EMU's let me know what pics you need as the C.M.E. of the club layout has built a number of different units including a Tin HAL's, 4SUB's, 2EPB's and hybrid 2BIL's; pics of some of these in action are part of a near future article in Model Rail.

Kev

Hi Colin,

If you do decide to build any other EMU's let me know what pics you need as the C.M.E. of the club layout has built a number of different units including a Tin HAL's, 4SUB's, 2EPB's and hybrid 2BIL's; pics of some of these in action are part of a near future article in Model Rail.

Kev

That's very good of you to offer Kevin,

I'll let you know if I ever decide what to build!

Colin

Hi Guys.

Sorry I have only just stumbled on tis thread. I don't know why I haven't looked in this subject heading before.

Brilliant modelling, far beyond my efforts.

Now to upset you, but a bit of info for future builders of these(and other BR(SR) Emus)

I have a set of side-on photos taken at Brighton as I walked along the platform, so these could help(a bit late for this one though). I think I also have the SR drawing for the roof conduits together with pictures taken from overbridges.

I have probably measured some of the underframe items as well, but I would have to confirm this.

I suppose you could say I made a habit of getting photos of this sort of detail. So if I can help, please let me know.

Dave Smith

Hi Mark,

Your little 'Rolls-Royce' handles turned up today! Ordering two packs forthwith. The present 2 HAP handles will be yanked out in due course and replaced with these remarkable turned components.

Colin

Whoops caused you some extra work :lol:

Archived