Parkside Dundas GWR open goods wagon

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up on a new release from Parkside.This is a GW open with a tarpaulin rod in two diagrams.These lasted till the 50s.Worth investigating.

Wow that certainly came out of the blue! Its a slightly earlier diagram than the most common in my period but its nice to see Parkside tackling something in this area that was the preserve of Cooper Craft ancient and Ratio modern versions before.

Is it just me or are wagon freaks getting some real tasty morsels at the moment? ;)

Can't say as I have noticed - though this is a real temptation - especially if you can get some sensible weight into it ... under a tarpaulin perhaps?

I'll be interested if the tarpaulin rod scales and look the part. Just about impossible in plastic I would have thought, and what is the mechanism going to be like I wonder?

David, build photos always appreciated. Especially with the Masokits chassis detail. (even though i guess that will be in P4)

I think I lent on Parkside for this, and gave them some info around six months ago.

I am popping a Masokits underframe on mine, will post progress photos if anyone is interested.

David

If its a Masokits Mod then yes please... ;)

Can't say as I have noticed - though this is a real temptation - especially if you can get some sensible weight into it ... under a tarpaulin perhaps?

I'll be interested if the tarpaulin rod scales and look the part. Just about impossible in plastic I would have thought, and what is the mechanism going to be like I wonder?

You should be able to get enough weight under the floor, i've certainly managed it on normal minerals and these are a bit longer I think.

I haven't had a go at going DC brakes yet but I could always fit someone else's levers to my underframe. Will have to find out how much the body will cost.

• RMweb Gold

I think I lent on Parkside for this, and gave them some info around six months ago.

I am popping a Masokits underframe on mine, will post progress photos if anyone is interested.

David

Yes please David and its quite handy having Parkside at Railex for purchase of said kit. ;)

The mech may differ in detail but the fittings on the PC02 BR/LMS Highfit are nice enough; IIRC the 'bar' provided is a length of brass rod

IIRC the 'bar' provided is a length of brass rod

That will do just fine - if not then that would be the main thing to fix IMO The quality of PD are usually pretty outstanding anyway.

Yes please David and its quite handy having Parkside at Railex for purchase of said kit. ;)

I think he had better come prepared for a rush.

This is a very good choice in my opinion - these vehicles lasted well into the BR era so are appropriate to a wide variety of settings. it also opens up the future possibility of using the underframe for vans on the 16ft underframe with DCIII brakes to some or all of diagrams V12/13/14/16/17.

As I understand it, diagram 011 and 015 opens have different side stanchion arrangements so I wonder if the kit will cater for both?

Mike

The mech may differ in detail but the fittings on the PC02 BR/LMS Highfit are nice enough; IIRC the 'bar' provided is a length of brass rod

Interesting, the one provided in my lner 5 plank was a flimsy piece of plastic rod.

Interesting, the one provided in my lner 5 plank was a flimsy piece of plastic rod.

It seems to vary, i've had bits of both. None of the kits are finished yet as they are in next years 'steel underframe' batch so I can't say what i'll eventually use!

Those tarp bar semi circles are very flimsy (prototypical though), I have a broken one to replace somehow or just leave off in later condition.

Just a heads up on a new release from Parkside.This is a GW open with a tarpaulin rod in two diagrams.These lasted till the 50s.Worth investigating.

I have just added transfers for these to my Sheet S1 - a more comprehensive selection is also available on Sheet BL78.

See http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

It seems to vary, i've had bits of both.

I'd have thought that's because the LNER 5-plank is getting on a bit whereas the PC02(A) is a relatively recent retooling. If one wanted to upgrade an older kit, brass rod's not exactly the most esoteric of modelling materials wink.gif

Here is my progress so far Masokits DC3 underframe with Parkside body, I need to add MJT axleboxes and springs.

Sláinte David ;)

Looks like the Masokits chassis fits the bill exactly with these beasties...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I went to purchase one of these at Railex today only to find they sold out yesterday.I will keep my mouth shut on a new release next time.I might get one then. :D ;) Are there any RMwebbers who did manage to buy one ?

I might get one then. :D ;) Are there any RMwebbers who did manage to buy one ?

Yup I got the last but one yesterday. Just had a look to see what i'll want to do with the underframe. Very nice moulding though included as normal with the latest Parkside kits and the instructions seem decent too.

Looking forward to the loco coal in the future, presume it'll be http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p504923.html dia or similar.

I need to measure a DC brake lever sometime or find some drawings and also reduce my floor etch for metal solebars so I can build mine.

Archived