Heljan class 28

class29returns

I was quite pleased with that announcement because it means that if the Baby Deltics come out in August, I don't have to take a hit for the cost of four BD's and a 28 in one go.;)

Think the BDs have been put back to September as well...hang on to your creadit card, it might melt!

Model Rail magazine due out on the 11th has a 3 page review on the Co-Bo, recieved my subscription issue to-day.

Likewise and it makes interesting reading.

I think that if I was going to buy one, it would have to be D5700 - I had the original Dublo version when I was a kid in the early 60's, undo one screw and the metal body parted with the chassis IIRC. I am certainly torn about preordering one and think I will hold off until I hear from the rest of you how this model pans out. It will also be easier on the plastic card :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

Model Rail magazine due out on the 11th has a 3 page review on the Co-Bo, recieved my subscription issue to-day.

And a very good review it is too - seems to have impressed the MR folk more than a little bit. Still not my scene although I do have a certain fondness for them albeit entirely from a lineside viewpoint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took advantage of the opportunity to scrutinize at somewhat closer than Normal Viewing Distance, three of these beasts earlier. Not downloaded the pics yet, but all three liveries were available to study in non-weathered form, in Hattons' regular display cabinets. I'm particularly excited about my pre-order of D5712 GSYP now, indeed each livery is tempting, I must say. :D

EDIT: Correction - on looking at the pics, they are subtly weathered, and look WELL!

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

I'd think the Class 14 experience would be the benchmark here - that's been out what, two years? - and thus far it's remained exclusive to Hattons, with new and fictional liveries being issued. In fact some of these latter are possibly slower-moving sellers (just a hunch from scanning their catalogues monthly), reflecting that latent demand actually front-loaded sales of the model. Experience with Falcon would have previously chastened the Danes, look at the discounting of follow-up releases - I imagine this is part of their rationale on retailer tie-ins, as it reduces their risk.

I could be wrong, but I would expect the sales strategy for the Class 28 to mirror that of the 14. Of course, a call to Hattons would give you an immediate answer.

As Jim S-W might say, you could always do some modelling, and achieve a great home-brewed result with wrap-round windows :sungum:

Thanks Chard - I think that's a wise assumption! I just thought that the strategy with the rails / Bachmann LMS twins seems to be an interesting one, with some being limited, and some not. I'm sure I heard sometimes that some companies (not sure if it was model railways co's though) give exclusivity for a number of years, then it's a free for all.

I just thought that the strategy with the rails / Bachmann LMS twins seems to be an interesting one, with some being limited, and some not. . I'm sure I heard sometimes that some companies (not sure if it was model railways co's though) give exclusivity for a number of years, then it's a free for all.

There might be patterns to be discerned (as Chard has done), and the Rails case is indeed interesting. Exclusivity isnt necessarily for ever, but as has been said before (with CoT and just about every other similar model), there's no laid down 'norm', it will depend on individual contracts.

As for this specific instance, I think you have to look at the risk assessment. My own feeling is that if Hattons have wobbled on doing the wrapround screens as part of their own LE, then it won't be any more viable as a general release.

• Like 1

"Class extinct" to new diesel classes seemed to come swiftly in the 1950s Trains Illustrated. I did see solitary examples of the real thing here and there...... A Crossley Co.Bo I remember not where, a Brush Type 3 A1A-A1A somewhere near Chinley, and a string of brand new Type 1 Bo-Bo's (don't ask which class), presumably being delivered. The prototype 'Peak' (Class 44) was the only diesel that rang a bell with me. It looked truly impressive.

• RMweb Gold

According to Hattons the cost of doing the wrap around windows version as well as the later one was prohibitive, meaning that Heljan did not want to be saddled with 2 moldings?

Shame really

Not exactly - in reality meaning that Hattons weren't prepared to pay for two mouldings. I'm sure that Heljan would have been delighted to have been paid for producing some extra tooling because (unless the contract says otherwise) all the cost is with Hattons. Seemingly a precisely parallel situation with the Well Tanks where Kernow are paying for variations in the moulds in order to produce all the locos which survived at the final end of the class.

• Like 1

I sent an email to Hattons asking them if they intended to do an earlier class 28 with wrap around windows, given that the current batches sell OK

elicited the following response

"Heljan were originally intending to produce the model with the wrap around windows but have since decided against this. Therefore, it is unfortunately unlikely that they will decide to produce the model with the original windows in the future."

that would seem to be it for now..???

Considering they had wraparound windows for about 10 minutes (i.e. untill they were first shopped) I don't see the issue in Hattons not offering this configuration.

If you want to model the early years of the fast freight "Condor" service then the early wrapround window version is essential to be authentic, also the only time the were used frequently in Scotland was during this period, either stabled at Polmadie or occasionally used for a trip working around the Glasgow area.

Plus they looked awful anyway.

That is a matter of you personal opinion

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks as though Hatton's are getting ready for the week of September 19 when the Co-Bos are due. Hatton's phoned me this afternoon mentioning that as my card details had expired on August 31, so that they can process orders promptly as soon as the models arrive, would I like to confirm the updated card details.

Not long to wait now :sungum:

Keith

If you want to model the early years of the fast freight "Condor" service then the early wrapround window version is essential to be authentic, also the only time the were used frequently in Scotland was during this period, either stabled at Polmadie or occasionally used for a trip working around the Glasgow area.

"Diesel Days Scotland" by Brian J. Dickson has a photo of D5713 working a Glasgow bound passenger train south through Stirling in Aug 1959. D5713 is plain green and sadly has wrapwaround windows but modellers license will see the Hattons variant appearing on Eskmuir from time to time on the Perth / west coast parcels.

• Like 1