Heljan class 28

class29returns

coachmann, on 05 September 2011 - 17:14 , said:

"Class extinct" to new diesel classes seemed to come swiftly in the 1950s Trains Illustrated.

Maybe 1960s? Not sure I understand the reference otherwise....

Sorry, It should have read From "class extinct" to new Diesels seemed to come swiftly in the 1950's TI". What it amounted to was seeing many classes of steam loco become extinct and, before I could get used to this, new diesels being introduced and reviewed in the railway press.

Yes but there is the question of how you get the curved glazing - Shawplan laser job maybe...

The difficulty for something like the approach Shawplan use is that it would be difficult to open the aperture to the correct size. It can be done though: I built an AEC mkV ('60s lorry) and used bits of a Ferrero Rocher box, fretted and filed to suit. Slow, but quite effective flush glazing resulted. There is a picture somewhere in the Road Vehicles forum I think.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

...just checked my card account.....charge has appeared......packing department must be busy today!!

Great that Hatton's only charge your account when the item is in stock and ready to ship......not like the other well-known shop which charges you (or at least did when I last dealt with them) when they are told by the manufacturer that the goods are on the way.

Well done Hattons,

Keith

Has anyone had chance to see weathered versus unweathered in the flesh yet? I'm torn between a weathered or clean one but have no experience of a Heljan weathering job.

I inspected the production-intent locos at Hattons a fortnight ago. Initially I thought they were unweathered, Heljan's treatment being suitably understated - think subtle, not the agricultural treatment applied to Falcon et al. In my opinion, the weathered locos would be a viable option. I fancy one but would not want to weather a clean specimen, as the breed is not core to my plans in any way.

I guess we'll have photos from contributors on here by drinking-up time, so we'll be able to judge for ourselves (I cancelled my order for a non-weathered D5712 but I may re-order a weathered example).

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had chance to see weathered versus unweathered in the flesh yet? I'm torn between a weathered or clean one but have no experience of a Heljan weathering job.

In general, I've not been too impressed with Heljan's weathering - the latest weathered Class 47s and Falcon look pretty awful with too much browny paint sprayed on the lower cabs and bodysides. On the other hand, the Class 14 weathering is much better.

For anyone brave enough to try the cab window conversion, keep your eyes peeled for suitable glazing material in some of those throw-away bubble packs.

As an example, I was given the task of glazing the windscreens for a friend's Langley Atkinson lorry. I happened to open a new computer mouse at work and the curvature of the clear bubble packing caught my eye. When I cut it carefully it had exactly the right curvature to match the shape of the windscreen apertures. I trimmed tiny amounts each time with nail scissors to get a good fit. I glued them in using Micro Kristal Klear (actually a glazing material itself but ideal for this work as it dries clear and fills any slight gaps as well.

just an idea, anyway. :)

• Like 1

These days I reckon there are some individual LEGO components with compound curves that could well fit that bill, suitably chopped about. A couple of years ago - when Birmingham still commanded its own Lego Store - I distinctly recall something in the piece bins that would have been a great starting point for the nose of Class 252 in TT!