• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember that it was recently announced that Alsthom has no orders for the UK factory for some time, in fact until they start building stock for HS2. Is that likely to affect whether they can deliver? And if so will that mean more delay to opening?

Jonathan

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I seem to remember that it was recently announced that Alsthom has no orders for the UK factory for some time, in fact until they start building stock for HS2. Is that likely to affect whether they can deliver? And if so will that mean more delay to opening?

Jonathan

I think that Roger Ford has something to say about that problem in the December Modern Railways. As far as know it will be 2026 or 27 before steel is cufor the HS2 stock. 

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I think that Roger Ford has something to say about that problem in the December Modern Railways. As far as know it will be 2026 or 27 before steel is cufor the HS2 stock. 

Jamie

They could in the interim make these - a "spade ready" ready £££millions market to Government !!!!!

image.png.d4a3e30e776862164c9ef5871b7bbf48.png

image.png.c5c721218cd5d64d48a9ae0e70814ac9.png

image.png.ace74ee9ea0ffc1f30b6a42782b848a7.png

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It looks like Hitachi will be the first to start work on the HS2 stock with bodyshells with Alstom doing later work on them, bogies and final fitting out

It would appear it's effectively now a Hitachi product after purchasing the Zefiro design from Bombadier when it was taken over by Alstom.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It looks like Hitachi will be the first to start work on the HS2 stock with bodyshells with Alstom doing later work on them, bogies and final fitting out

It would appear it's effectively now a Hitachi product after purchasing the Zefiro design from Bombadier when it was taken over by Alstom.

I think at the bogies are coming from Crewe with assembly and testing at Derby. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

My concern is whether they will still be around to undertake the contract if there is no work for the factories in the meantime.

Jonathan

Maybe Hitachi could complete the work?

• RMweb Premium

Driving to Hampton in Arden station, the road (Hampton Lane) crosses the M42.

A lot of work going on there (It's just south of the A45) and wonder whether it's a consequence of what's happening a couple of miles north where HS2 crosses the M42?

Anybody any news?

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Driving to Hampton in Arden station, the road (Hampton Lane) crosses the M42.

A lot of work going on there (It's just south of the A45) and wonder whether it's a consequence of what's happening a couple of miles north where HS2 crosses the M42?

Anybody any news?

Yes HS2 crosses the M42 then goes pasHampton in Arden before crossing the A45.  The new Birmingham Interchange station which is before the delta Junction.  I'm not sure how far along things are in that area. 

Jamie

1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

A clear case for a government loan guarantee scheme as happened in the 1930s, or for the government to at least finance the job themselves. 

Private companies won't invest in projects, even those in the public interest like this one, unless they can see a decent return on that investment. Adam Smith recognised this in the 18th century.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

And is there now any demand for either offices or retail space in central London? Or perhaps it should be a "cafe complex" with a few nail bars, barbers and tattoo parlours thrown in - about the only things one can't do on-line. Oh, I forgot the charity shops.

A bit tongue in cheek but that is how town and city centres are going.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And is there now any demand for either offices or retail space in central London? Or perhaps it should be a "cafe complex" with a few nail bars, Turkish barbers and tattoo parlours thrown in - about the only things one can't do on-line. Oh, I forgot the charity shops.

Jonathan

Fixed that for you ...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And is there now any demand for either offices or retail space in central London? Or perhaps it should be a "cafe complex" with a few nail bars, barbers and tattoo parlours thrown in - about the only things one can't do on-line. Oh, I forgot the charity shops.

Jonathan

I can promise you that on several days of the week, London commuting is very close to as busy as pre-pandemic.  

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The author of the website “A London Inheritance” at www.alondoninheritance.com has just published his annual description of the impact of the Euston construction works on the local area.  He has done these annually since 2017 to record the impact of the works, with the previous articles linked from this one.  It seems that the site is shutting down rapidly.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1