9 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Good grief. This government is really trying to set a record for how much damage it can do to the country.

..........and doing a pretty good job it seems !

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think it's called 'trying to buy votes'. - very trying in this particular case.

Except it's not working. They haven't got the message.

If they thought that scrapping large chunks of HS2, much of the green commitments, and anything remotely sensible and spending lots on the roads instead would improve their chances, it was a waste of time.

Their standing in the polls didn't budge one iota.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Except it's not working. They haven't got the message.

Perhaps this is because their policy proposals are based on what their focus groups want, rather than what the public at large wants. But the snag is that if they went by the latter, they would have difficulty persuading their MPs and candidates to endorse policy, since they are aligned with the former. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Quite a good overview of the works in the OOC area,including the Willesden Logistics hub.  Th main vide with commentary is just 16 minutes with 20  minutes of bonus shots. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Another website has given more detail about the lifting of the safeguarding for section 2a.  The. And around Handsacre Junction has been exempted from the lifting so will still be safeguarded I wonder what type of Junction they will eventually build.

Jamie. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

And anothAnother website has given more detail about the lifting of the safeguarding for section 2a.  The. And around Handsacre Junction has been exempted from the lifting so will still be safeguarded I wonder what type of Junction they will eventually build.

Meanwhile another video of the Colne Valley Viaduct has been posted.  It really is looking stunning. 

Jamie. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Quite a good overview of the works in the OOC area, including the Willesden Logistics hub.  The main video with commentary is just 16 minutes with 20  minutes of bonus shots……

You will also see the Atlas Road logistics site, just south of the Willesden hub, marked by the gantry crane and store of concrete tunnel segments, ready to be delivered into the logistics tunnel.

The ramp into the logistics hub portal can be seen at the OOC end of this area.
There’s a good view of it near the end of the video, as the drone returns towards Willesden.

In the Victoria Road crossover box, you can see the two TBM’s being assembled.

The first to set off will be “Emily”, the shield of which can be seen at the bottom of the circular ventilation shaft

Sections of the Down tunnel TBM, “Anne”, are still to be lowered into the box.

These remaining TBM modules can be seen, stored in an area close to Victoria Road.

Anne’s cutting head and shield are already in place, in the already constructed lead in tunnel.

I found it fascinating to see the workers moving around, down in the crossover box.

They look tiny down there.

It certainly gives some idea of the scale of this giant hole in the ground.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, DenysW said:

If the Daily Express posted on this thread it would get the Party Political warnings. I therefore believe it not on topics that are likely to make the party its supports appear good.

Also here

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/andy-burnham-working-private-companies-28422968

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/manchester-and-west-midlands-mayors-form-private-sector-group-to-explore-improved-rail-links-06-12-2023/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hs2-northen-rail-north-uk-b2482151.html

I can't see much happening though ££££££££££££££

We will see.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2024 at 21:57, phil-b259 said:

Yes technically it can be built on but given the act of Parliament authorising HS2 remains on the statue book then any sane solicitor is going to advise its not a good idea to do anything to substantial because there is every chance the land could be re-purchased in future.....

Put it this way I doubt a housing developer is going to start erecting bunch of new houses over the route while that act stays in place....

Sounds like the perfect set up for a bargain basement land grab by the private sector.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

But of course: cui bono?

Just pure speculation, he who holds the who holds the reigns…

pick up the land cheap, do nothing with it…

wait on politics to play out.. good chance in the future to cash it out at a premium if its needed for Hs2a, and / or get a seat at the contracting table… if nothing… build on it.

I dont see a down side, its not as if lands going to go bad, or erode away.. but it looks like its being set up for a risk laden bargain basement sell off.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And still parroting out that "freeing up £36billion for other transport schemes" rubbish.

I   m  a  y   live long enough to see it but I doubt it.

Jonathan

Indeed. Frees up £36billion for projects which have already got their funding approved.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Indeed. Frees up £36billion for projects which have already got their funding approved.

That £36bn is sitting in the same bank account as the £350mn a week for the NHS and the £40bn to exit the EU.

its all hogwash…

another 60% inflation (weve had 40% already since 2016) and we can drop the penny, and the debt will be deflated in real value by half… the £ will be like dracmas.

HS2 will be a premium rate train. Its inevitable… its just a case of who gets to keep the money.

I very much doubt HS2 to Manchester will be in isolation a private project, the govt will throw in the London end as part of the bargain, its just a case of how cheap.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

HS2 will be a premium rate train. Its inevitable… its just a case of who gets to keep the money.

I very much doubt HS2 to Manchester will be in isolation a private project, the govt will throw in the London end as part of the bargain, its just a case of how cheap.

How can it possibly be a fully private project? It will not generate any revenue for several years. Railways are rarely self-sufficient, usually requiring subsidy. That is certainly true in UK.

I guess it is budget-shifting again. If private companies are 'funding' it, then the subsidy will come from a different budget & not from the HS2 construction budget.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

How can it possibly be a fully private project? It will not generate any revenue for several years. Railways are rarely self-sufficient, usually requiring subsidy. That is certainly true in UK.

I guess it is budget-shifting again. If private companies are 'funding' it, then the subsidy will come from a different budget & not from the HS2 construction budget.

I think private sector would be mad to fund it.

m6toll, crossrail, Hs1, Channel Tunnel… hardly an impressive track record.

Even a construction company buying LHR has not been able to rebuild it, let alone extend it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3