Return Request Received - Hopefully Resolved

polybear

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've just received a Returns Request from Ebay for a non-model railway related item (a vintage leccy drill) - the buyer claims it doesn't work.  I know otherwise - I tested it prior to sale; whilst I listed it as working I also pointed out that the mains lead was old and should be replaced as a matter of caution - no plug was fitted to the lead either.

Either the buyer has changed his mind and wants me to foot the bill for a return, or is trying to pull a flanker on me and hope that I won't want it back so he gets a full refund and gets to keep the goods (it sold for a tenner, but delivery was another six quid).  If I use the Ebay returns label system it'll cost me just over a fiver for the return.

No way am I going to let him keep it or offer a discount - I'd rather shell out a fiver and get it back.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of please - the returns method will be a Royal Mail tracked system so he can't easily claim he posted it when he didn't.   I've sent a message to the buyer, asking him to check his test method as I know it works fine - I'm awaiting a response on that one.

Thanks

edit:  I've sold a lot of items over the years, and this is my first return request, so I guess I'm lucky (or doing something right).

• RMweb Gold

Agree, get it back, pay him off and ban him.

don't negotiate or get into a discussion, otherwise worst case ebay will refund him, let him keep it and you get negative feedback too.

plenty more fish in the ebay sea, just need to ensure you dont have a black mark on yourself in order to get it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Had this before when a numpty bought two items off me, at different prices.

Items were paid for, sent and received by the purchaser. Two days later I had a return request! Saying it was damaged-it was'nt-brand new and boxed

Pointed out that he had bought them both, and let him stew, as it was down to me to initiate return. But it may be worth biting the bullet and accepting it, as it ain't worth getting negative feedback, even though you've done everything correctly.  

• Thanks 1

I for one would not worry about negative feedback. I never check a sellers feedback and if I have an issue with the item its either I have missed something (my fault) or its not been received as per description (sellers fault)

As a seller, I have only had a couple of issues. Which form memory were down to me which I resolved

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Will you be able to positively identify the returned item as the one you sent? I don't know if it's a frequent ebay fraud, but this sort of thing is not uncommon on the high street. I bought an angle grinder at Aldi, and when I opened it found it was  a manky old one of a completely different make. Someone had obviously put it in the box and returned it for a refund. I think that the commercial argument is that below a certain value it's not worth the hassle of checking. Whether the manky device went back on the shelves I don't know...

Dave

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, unravelled said:

Will you be able to positively identify the returned item as the one you sent? I don't know if it's a frequent ebay fraud, but this sort of thing is not uncommon on the high street. I bought an angle grinder at Aldi, and when I opened it found it was  a manky old one of a completely different make. Someone had obviously put it in the box and returned it for a refund. I think that the commercial argument is that below a certain value it's not worth the hassle of checking. Whether the manky device went back on the shelves I don't know...

Dave

Yes, fortunately - it has an i.d. plate on it, complete with serial number.  However, it'll be harder to confirm that internal components haven't been swapped......

I have heard of new hoovers being returned to Argos as not working.  Upon later inspection (and with the buyer long gone) it turns out the motor has the appearance of a house brick....

12 hours ago, unravelled said:

Dave

Dave I think there is a law against selling a returned item as new !!  Quite simply it could have a serious fault which is dangerous  

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Yes, fortunately - it has an i.d. plate on it, complete with serial number.  However, it'll be harder to confirm that internal components haven't been swapped......

I have heard of new hoovers being returned to Argos as not working.  Upon later inspection (and with the buyer long gone) it turns out the motor has the appearance of a house brick....

One of the reasons I only sell model railway items, mainly because of the type of person who is a railway modeller. Not a 100% certainty but I don't sell either electronics of high values RTR models

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

One of the reasons I only sell model railway items, mainly because of the type of person who is a railway modeller. Not a 100% certainty but I don't sell either electronics of high values RTR models

Fortunately this was a low value item - the postage was over half the value of the item...

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2020 at 09:23, polybear said:

Hi,

I tested it prior to sale; whilst I listed it as working I also pointed out that the mains lead was old and should be replaced as a matter of caution - no plug was fitted to the lead either.

I'd say that there's your problem. Some people are totally incapable of fitting a new cord and a plug on the end (in Australia, it's actually illegal to do so unless qualified, but I digress).

In retrospect, perhaps selling without a plug and a suspect cord, wasn't the best idea - it gives room for idiots!

Next time consider replacing the cord and a plug as a trouble free solution - don't give idiots breathing space. Obviously you'll have to put a higher price to cover materials and for at least some of your time.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

An Update:

Well it seems that Mr. Buyer has seen fit to leave me negative feedback, despite (a) being issued with a returns label, and (b) not responding to my email asking him to double-check, as it was tested and working immediately prior to despatch (I sell on the basis that I don't like buying mis-described crap, so why should I sell it).

Giving a Feedback response is not possible it seems - the only option open to me is "Report Buyer".

Ebay have really shifted the rules against sellers in recent years, despite making a few quid (and some) out of us.

I'm starting to think that I'll create a load of listings and save them as drafts, then stick the whole lot in the loft until Ebay next have one of their "Sell for a Quid" promotions - at which point I'll make all drafts live.  That way Ebay will make next to bvgger all profit out of me - they've done more than alright out of me this year.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I'm starting to think that I'll create a load of listings and save them as drafts, then stick the whole lot in the loft until Ebay next have one of their "Sell for a Quid" promotions - at which point I'll make all drafts live.  That way Ebay will make next to bvgger all profit out of me - they've done more than alright out of me this year.

I've been doing that for ages, best way to do it.

• Like 2

An Update:

Well it seems that Mr. Buyer has seen fit to leave me negative feedback, despite (a) being issued with a returns label, and (b) not responding to my email asking him to double-check, as it was tested and working immediately prior to despatch (I sell on the basis that I don't like buying mis-described crap, so why should I sell it).

Giving a Feedback response is not possible it seems - the only option open to me is "Report Buyer".

Ebay have really shifted the rules against sellers in recent years, despite making a few quid (and some) out of us.

I would get in contact with eBay and have a chat, done it a couple of times and they have been so helpful

Secondly who takes notice of feedback ? only those who have an issue with the seller !!

Items I wish to sell over £10 I usually wait till £1 selling offers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I would get in contact with eBay and have a chat, done it a couple of times and they have been so helpful

Secondly who takes notice of feedback ? only those who have an issue with the seller !!

I went down the "Report Buyer" route and selected the most appropriate reason in the drop-down boxes etc., followed by a summary of the situation in the text box.  Not worried about the negative feedback - it accounts for a fraction of a % against the positive feedback on my account.  Besides, I learnt long ago that the feedback system is complete bollox (technical auction term)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, hayfield said:

Completely off topic but a warning to others, multiple item sales (either one listing saying you have 2 for sale, or listing both separately) are excluded from these £1 deals and you get copped for around 10% on sale, but it doesnt tell you that when you list them.

I only found out when the fees came through and challenged them.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Completely off topic but a warning to others, multiple item sales (either one listing saying you have 2 for sale, or listing both separately) are excluded from these £1 deals and you get copped for around 10% on sale, but it doesnt tell you that when you list them.

I only found out when the fees came through and challenged them.

Whenever I have two for sale I always list them separately, as it happens I have a series of spare parts from the same company, I thought about doing one of these multiple listings. I assumed it would be a straight 10% on each sale, even multiple purchases

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I assumed it would be a straight 10% on each sale, even multiple purchases

Yes agreed but using the offer, I expected it to be capped at £1 on each unit, not 10%.

The £1 max offer excludes multiple sales - it is somewhere in the small print and I might have to hold my hands up over who's fault it is that didn't register!

I sold a Bachmann 2-8-0 0N30 loco with out a tender .I tested it and knew it ran though it needed as stated two wires hooking up  .It sold in an instant ,always means its underpriced .The person who bought then said it didnt run and said his friend would repair it ?for 30 quid .I told him i would be glad to get it back and stick another 50 quid on it and if his friend was charging 30 quid to solder a wire on  he should drop him .Never heard another word and neither of us listed any feedback .I got screwed over a Unimat lath once and was annoyed I got both the lath and my money back after a refund .I was fumming but insisted all communication  wa s through ebay not privately .He had cleaned it up (and ruined the motor ) and that was enough to get it all reversed and my money back as  he had worked on it .Maybe the guy has on you drill .Ask for photos .iIdid .The minute its worked on its theirs .

• 2 weeks later...

I sell on eBay a reasonable amount and after several thousand transactions I find that 99.9% of people are honest,  but it seems that the 0.1% are the ones that have a reputation for being mischievous.  In days past one could check the feedback history of every person who bid on your items.  If they had a history of giving negative or neutral feedback then they went straight to the blocked bidders' list.   Now under privacy laws one is only able to check either if a message is sent by a potential buyer or after a sale has been made and then it maybe too late.

I recently had a dubious question from a potential buyer that had me rushing straight to his feedback record.  His feedback left for others showed that most of the last ten pages of feedback given by him was all negatives, that is over 200 negatives given.  In the pages previous to that he left mostly positive feedback.  His feedback basically called every seller a scam artist or thief and had a warning in capital letters to be aware that the seller was a thief.  His name now en-graces my blocked bidders' list for eternity.

Years ago I had a friend who would buy a new N gauge loco that matched the broken worn out one he had at home.  His particular past time was to set up multiple locomotives running endlessly for hours while he drank copious quantities of bourbon.  It did not take long to wear out a loco.  He would then buy a new replacement from a store and take it home and switch out the chassis.  The "new" loco would be returned the next day as a non-runner for a refund,  while the old loco ran like a Swiss watch at home with its new free drive.

• RMweb Premium

UPDATE TO THE SAGA....

Well, having sent a returns label via Ebay (it does seem that this doesn't cost me anything unless the label is actually used...here's hoping) the Buyer couldn't actually arsed to send the item back after all.  So I've a feeling he was trying to take the p1ss and hope for a free refund without having to send the goods back.

The return request has now timed out and Ebay have now automatically closed the process.  However, they haven't deleted the negative feedback on me (do I really give a sh1t?) but won't allow me to respond either.  Talk about a biased system....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• polybear changed the title to Return Request Received - Hopefully Resolved

UPDATE TO THE SAGA....

Well, having sent a returns label via Ebay (it does seem that this doesn't cost me anything unless the label is actually used...here's hoping) the Buyer couldn't actually arsed to send the item back after all.  So I've a feeling he was trying to take the p1ss and hope for a free refund without having to send the goods back.

The return request has now timed out and Ebay have now automatically closed the process.  However, they haven't deleted the negative feedback on me (do I really give a sh1t?) but won't allow me to respond either.  Talk about a biased system....

I thought you could either add a not or respond to the feedback itself