The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Kirk Douglas passes on

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Kirk Douglas has passed on

Definitely one of the greats of the Golden Age of Cinema - for me he will have entered Valhalla....

Condolences to Michael and the family.... but 103 is a good time to leave this mortal realm....

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4
  • Agree 9

RIP Kirk, a genuine legend with charisma, looks and talent, he had the lot - he also stood his ground over the rampant McCarthyism of the '50s that infested Hollywood at the time, by taking on a blacklisted screenwriter for 'Sparticus' and insisting on giving him full credit using his own name when many others had to use pseudonyms.

There can't be many of his generation left now.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

There can't be many of his generation left now.

Dame Olivia de Havilland is still going at 103.

Kirk Douglas always seemed to excel in his movies. Some of my favourites are 'Lust for Life' where he played Vincent van Gogh  and Kubrick's 'Paths of Glory'. I also liked him in the western parody 'The Villain' in which his Cactus Jack character always fails in his attempts to steal the money from the heroine using various tricks straight out of Loony Tunes cartoons.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

+1 for Paths of Glory, I'd usually shirk from a movie where, in the first place the language isn't native and secondly an American won't even attempt to disguise his accent but his performance and Kubrick's direction is stellar.

C6T. 

• Like 1