EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bgman said:

Speaking of Italianate, I would have liked to produce a small Broad Gauge diorama with the Pumping House at Starcross featuring in the background thereby using some of my early BG loco's and stock

We really shouldn't be tempting you, as you've got enough on your plate. But if you haven't come across it: I like some of the paintings/drawings of Starcross on this page. Some useful photos of the Pumping House too: 

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/atmo/13_STARCROSS.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

We really shouldn't be tempting you, as you've got enough on your plate. But if you haven't come across it: I like some of the paintings/drawings of Starcross on this page. Some useful photos of the Pumping House too: 

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/atmo/13_STARCROSS.html

Correct ! :lol:

However as it is on one of my favourite cycle routes and has been on a bucket list ( Oh ! I hate that phrase but it suits the response ) of buildings to model for more years than I care to remember then it will be a definite / maybe in the future.

I have seen that particular website and it is an extremely useful reference source for anyone wishing to discover the building and its history, thank you for posting it here for others to discover.

Further to which whilst I was a member of the BGS I did purchase Paul Garnsworthy's excellent book  " Brunel's Atmospheric Railway " 

which is well worth purchasing assuming it is still in print.

G

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bgman said:

Thank you for your kind comments, very much appreciated.

Cards on the table, the recent buildings have been based on images referencing old paintings or photographs found on t'internet which I've adapted to suit my needs and hopefully give the feel and character of something Italianate in style. The "ruins" was just a quickly made side model following Northroaders comment and is totally made up with scraps based upon nothing whatsoever other than how I thought at the time.

Speaking of Italianate, I would have liked to produce a small Broad Gauge diorama with the Pumping House at Starcross featuring in the background thereby using some of my early BG loco's and stock, harking back to that recycling theme.

We shall see possibly ?

Meanwhile I have a side project and a 7mm layout to be getting on with.

G

I remember going to the pumping house at Starcross with my parents when I was quite young and there being a little museum in there with a miniature demonstration railway operated with vacuum cleaners at both ends so that you could enjoy a bit of Hoover thrash…

(Or were they Electrolux?)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

little museum

Now long gone and used by a local club for aquatic purposes, or should that be porpoises:lol:

• Funny 2

Good morning to one and all,

I would like to thank those who either just drop by out of curiosity and the regular followers to this thread for the contributions over the past year.

My ramblings have helped me to retain some sanity during these strange times which hopefully will get better for all of us.

That said I would like to extend my Seasons Greetings to one and all of you and trust that you all stay safe and well.

Kindest regards

G

p.s. I am currently nursing a very heavy cold ( thankfully that's all it is ! ) which is rather hindering my modelling and meeting family, and seeing two 4 o'clocks for the past couple of days has left me slightly tired, therefore I may not be posting any progress here for a few days.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 16/12/2021 at 10:48, Mikkel said:

Thanks for another year of excellent modelling and entertaining posts, G.

I hope the cold improves soon, nose dripping on brass is hardly a pretty sight :)

DING DING ! Hold very tight please.....

Very much appreciated Mikkel and I would also apply your own comments back to The Farthing Layouts too. 

Your imagination and inventiveness is an inspiration to us all and gets the little grey cells whirring, certainly for my part anyway.

I still have a "fug" surrounding what's left of my grey cells due to the cold which is sloooowly going but not sufficient to gel me into action in modelling terms still. It will come but I feel that it is pointless trying to do something that you cannot fully immerse one's self into.

That said I have stepped back from the Italian work to assess a few ideas and maybe do a bit more mocking up, I am never totally satisfied with what I produce and want it to at least look reasonable once finished.

One area of modelling that I have always enjoyed is the simple plastic "out of the box" kit build, mind you it doesn't always go to plan and I always seem to end up doing some alterations to a basic build ! 

With that in mind and wanting to apply some restraint ( NO! don't even go there please ! ) in respect of modelling straight from the box I have taken delivery this past week of a model which has been a niggling want for me for several years......and here it is ........

66153411226__72E40A29-AA36-4263-8609-A17D40719172.jpg.62054d6306c040730df2b691e01222ec.jpg

As a value for money kit I believe it is well worth having for the cost.

There have been quite a few reviews over the years and also several videos, one chap in particular which I watched several years ago goes to great lengths to produce a diorama which I feel does the model justice.

I intend to make it over the Festive season as something away from railway modelling, albeit there are some tracks involved ironically.

Just a bit of a break from choo-choo's and the fun / entertainment value instead of watching a lot of mind numbing repeats on the goggle-box ! 

Happy Festives one and all ! 

G

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks for the kind words Grahame. 

I found Simon Kemp's diorama featuring the Mini Art tramcar on Youtube, looks great!

You deserve it ! 

Yes Simon Kemp's work is what sort of inspired me to buy the kit and I have finally done so.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Northroader said:

That’s a Munich Tram, innit?

It can be one of several variants from Germany or Liege, I do quite like the light blue livery though.

G

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simond said:

Grahame,

a propos the Italian job, worth having a dig at Yorkshire Dave’s modelling on WT, “Assolut Follia” or something in that vein.

trust you’re on the mend!

atb

Simon

Thank you Simon I shall have a look later and yes I am on the mend thank goodness, couldn't bear to fill anymore flux bottles ! :lol:

ATVB

G

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Nothing to do with the above, not certain if it has been posted elsewhere in the Parish News but I thought it would be useful to advise the following -

https://www.martynwelch.com/news/

After many years Martyn has sadly decided to "hang up his airbrush and paint brushes" due to back problems. If you haven't looked at his work on the website then may I suggest you do so as it will no longer exist after the end of January 2022. 

In my humble opinion he is up there with the very best and also an extremely nice chap to boot.

His superb work bringing models to life will be sadly missed, certainly by myself.

G

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, bgman said:

In my humble opinion he is up there with the very best and also an extremely nice chap to boot.

His superb work bringing models to life will be sadly missed, certainly by myself.

I posted much the same on my thread yesterday. I have often dipped into those photos for inspiration and it is a great shame they will no longer be available.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I think that Martyn brought weathering to the fore when he produced that outstanding layout, Hursley. I've known him from the time he took over Blue Peter model shop in Wilton Street. I hope that he enjoys his retirement and gets to build another layout, such as Hursley. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, bgman said:

Totally agree and his writings aren't half bad either ! 

G

I'm sure someone will have suggested this already but a follow up book with his later acrylic and powder techniques would be fantastic.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1