Gopher

On 25/07/2021 at 09:34, St Enodoc said:

Have you seen this site?

Warning - don't go there when you're in a hurry or are supposed to be doing something else.

https://www.vintage-airfix.com/

Well I spent a pleasant hour or so looking at this site, and reminding myself how many Airfix kits I made in my  youth (some of them several times), and some I had forgotten about.  I then started thinking about my favourite kit - also based on how well I had made and painted it.  It came down to a few - HMS Iron Duke, Waterloo 1/72nd British and French soldiers, 1/72 Short Stirling.  I think tops was the 1/24 Spitfire Mk1 - which I had for Xmas one year.  It blew my mind - with the Merlin Engine, and cockpit detail.      Thanks again for posting the link.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gopher said:

The Dapol model looks very nice, and as you say more appropriate for the period you model  

I will be bending the rules a little to run the old Lima regularly, no point in having it otherwise.

Edited by MrWolf
Gramophones
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Well I spent a pleasant hour or so looking at this site, and reminding myself how many Airfix kits I made in my  youth (some of them several times), and some I had forgotten about.  I then started thinking about my favourite kit - also based on how well I had made and painted it.  It came down to a few - HMS Iron Duke, Waterloo 1/72nd British and French soldiers, 1/72 Short Stirling.  I think tops was the 1/24 Spitfire Mk1 - which I had for Xmas one year.  It blew my mind - with the Merlin Engine, and cockpit detail.      Thanks again for posting the link.    

I got lost in there for a while too, I had trouble deciding which was the favourite plane I built, I remember having the Bristol Blenheim, Westland Whirlwind, B24 Liberator, Dornier 17, Walrus, Avro Anson, and having to save up to buy the Short Sunderland, Superfortress and Halifax. As many of you know, I still have the Stuka.

• Like 3

Having reached Dewchurch the railcar joins the class 121 at the refuelling point. 

The second photo looks like the drivers are about to start a race.  Not sure of what odds the bookies are offering but I'd back the 121.  No idea if this is how it would play out in real life, but in Dewchurch the decoder settings on the 121 give it quicker acceleration.   Either way there is a point in front of them so one of them will get derailed.  

20210725_153534.jpg

20210725_153549.jpg

20210726_085830 (2).jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Another very atmospheric scene, it just shows that the setting is as important as the trains looking right if you want to build a convincing model.

Thanks Rob.   I try to achieve consistency with the whole scene - when viewed from a few foot away.  I also get some lucky shots with my camera or smart phone which make my efforts look better than they actually are.  Of course I never post the really dodgy photos, those which make me cringe and turn to drink.         

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Latest project on my workbench.

I find the Wills Craftsman kits quite challenging, which is why I probably avoid scratch building any buildings, (or anything else come to that). Basically anything that requires accurate measurement and cutting :banghead:  

This is the fourth Craftsman kits I've attempted over the years, but only completed two of them (first one was beyond my capabilities at that time).  The other two (cottage and house) are on the layout and I am pleased with the end result.  

Anyway this kit has been sitting on my "to do pile" for ages.    I had a notion that if I had a slightly smaller engine shed at Dewchurch it might help create the illusion of more space in the MPD.  So I will hopefully complete this, paint it and weather it and then see how it looks in situ.

I quite like the current Townstreet shed, but I could have made a better job of constructing it.  It was one of the first Townstreet models I made, it certainly has a very solid look and feel.    

So apologies in advance for the bad language that always comes out when I am making one of these kits.  (Actually the bad language comes out in many other scenarios).     

20210801_191118.jpg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Looks like you've made a great start :good:

I've never attempted a Wills Craftsman kit, a combination of self doubt and laziness..........mostly laziness 

Thanks Chris, you would have absolutely no problem making one of these.  Dead easy compared to what you have done on Warren.   

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Local Bank Manager stops to purchase his morning paper.  Can't be the Financial Times because Lloyds Bank would pay for that to be delivered to the local branch, plus I doubt the street vendor has much demand for such an esteemed paper.  So probably the local Dewchurch Star.  (Probably more interesting than the FT, finding out what his local customers are up to). 

20210717_071837 (2).jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Probably checking the used cars section for that Humber Hawk that every self respecting bank manager should own.

Yes they were "posh" cars a true badge of office.  I started my career in a High Street bank, my manager had a Ford Capri  (a car I must admit to having huge affection for having owned three of them - a Mk1, M2 and Mk3).  

• Like 6

Ivatt 2MT about to reverse off the turntable.  This one has had a remarkable life - managed to knock it on to the floor a couple of times when it was new (what is that about not repeating the same mistakes).

There was some superficial body damage (bent handrails etc), easily repaired - but remarkably the running gear was intact, so it is still working many years later.  It is an SVR special edition model -  number 46443 which I think is still at the SVR but currently not operational.  I drove it and fired it once on a steam experience course at the SVR.  Good fun, but makes you realise how hard it is to drive a steam engine safely,  and fire it when it is bouncing all over the place at a grand old speed of 25mph .  God knows how firemen kept their balance with express engines doing 60 to 80 mph on long runs, firing a few tons of coal.      94308803_IMG_4943(2).JPG.7100c7c90138c3a2c676d45633d389e8.JPG    

• Like 8

94xx Pannier in the headshunt at Dewchurch.  This model has been on holiday at Bachmann being repaired, never ran that well from day one, but glad to say it now runs well (aided by a few CV tweaks).      

20210704_143807.jpg

20210704_143940 (2).jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2021 at 07:58, Gopher said:

94xx Pannier in the headshunt at Dewchurch.  This model has been on holiday at Bachmann being repaired, never ran that well from day one, but glad to say it now runs well (aided by a few CV tweaks).      

20210704_143807.jpg

20210704_143940 (2).jpg

What are 'CV tweaks', please?