Gopher

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gopher said:

Best of luck with the layout, and thanks for the compliment.

Locos -yes I think I have too many, and try to adopt a one in one out policy to keep the numbers down.  I am finding this increasingly difficult.  My wife asks occasionally how many locos have you got ?  The obvious answer less than the pairs of shoes you own (although I am not sure that is true anymore).      :scratchhead:

Veronica and I have a deal. She doesn't count my locos and I don't count her shoes and bags.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Graham T said:

Was that poster from a Cuneo painting?

It was also used as the front cover for a Tri-ang / Hornby catalogue in the 1970's / 1980's . Not sure precisely. I still have my copy (somewhere . . .)

There is a book of all Cuneo's paintings which, having seen several on the front of those catalogues over the years, (a 9F I also have on a catalogue) I was inspired to buy. 

John

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bogie said:

Bit torn and frayed as the Stones would say:

Thanks @Bogie that's the one :D.

(Possible spoiler alert; relying on dodgy memory and not able to check the Cuneo book at the moment, as I'm not at home).

If I recall correctly (?), you have to look at the picture without the over-typing to be able to locate the Cuneo mouse.

The coaling plant in the photos above was replaced by this much more simple and hopefully appropriate platform.  Photo was taken a few years ago and the building just visible in the in the  top right has been replaced

IMG_3757.JPG

• Like 8

The more observant of you will notice this is not a loco.  My other occasional hobby is military modelling (very occasional).  I made this beast about 14 years ago, a radio controlled 1/16 Tamiya Leopard 2 A6.  Weather was nice so I fired it up to give it a run in the garden.  Good fun, but the cats were not impressed with the noise      

20210614_123035.jpg

20210614_123046.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 3

Just now, Graham T said:

Very nice modelling, but I don't think the grass looks very realistic to be honest ;)

Thanks Graham - I agree about the grass I only just cut it as well :D I think the rose bushes in the background probably don't help either  

Not at all - I realised you were kidding.  They are great kits, expensive but superb quality and good fun to make.  The gear box in the Leopard is quite complex and a work of art.  I was very careful building it, frequently checking and (double checking) the instructions to ensure I had the right cogs in the right place.  Luckily it all worked.

I have also made the Tamiya Tiger.  Another great model.  I get the urge to make another 1/16th tank but have resisted the temptation for the past 14 years.           

• Like 3

Very interesting, I've often fancied building one of those myself, so I have to remind myself that I probably have enough hobbies already. I used to build a lot of 1/35 and 1/32 military models, all WWI / WWII subjects. I had nowhere to display them properly and ended up giving them away.

I have found that you can learn a lot from military modelling over the years.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Dive bombing buses on bridges being one . . . . . . ?

:D

• Funny 4

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Very interesting, I've often fancied building one of those myself, so I have to remind myself that I probably have enough hobbies already. I used to build a lot of 1/35 and 1/32 military models, all WWI / WWII subjects. I had nowhere to display them properly and ended up giving them away.

You can never have too many hobbies.  Actually that is not strictly true.  I had the same problem with static models.  Where to display them.  I used to make the 1/35th Tamiya military models, plus some of their1/350th ships and a couple of 1/12th formula 1 cars.  Still got the ships and the cars gathering dust on a shelf.

Some of the military modelling is awesome.  The weathered models you see in some of the military modelling magazines are superb.