HORNBY DUBLO COUPLING CONVERSION

Hi ive got some old detailed Hornby dublo wagons which still have the original couplings id like to swap these for some tension lock ones any ideas on the best way to do this thought i could use the original coupling holes but they sit to far back any help/advice appreciated.

thanxs

As others have said, a converter wagon is probably a better option, as the HD couplings are held in by a rivet, and it can be a damaging process to get them out. Wrenn wagons tended to have facilities to attach both types of coupling.

The Hornby Dublo (actually, I believe, designed and patents held by Peco) coupling is much better, though it is impractical to fit to newer wagons like Bachmann. Certainly the coupling and uncoupling process was a lot easier to deal with - no trying to pick a wagon out of a train and ending up with a string of wagons dangling like sausages!

• Agree 1

The Hornby Dublo (actually, I believe, designed and patents held by Peco) coupling is much better, though it is impractical to fit to newer wagons like Bachmann.

Whilst it's not in their products list at the moment, didn't Peco announce the intention to produce a NEM version of the coupling a in the last year or so..? Or did I imagine that? :(

Whilst it's not in their products list at the moment, didn't Peco announce the intention to produce a NEM version of the coupling a in the last year or so..? Or did I imagine that? :(

Yes, it was featured in their latest newsletter of new products but with no further details. I asked someone on the Peco stand at Glasgow about release dates, but he was non-commital on this. The only problem with a NEM type is the height of the pocket, which is a bit of a moveable feast with some wagons. Still, it'll be interesting to see their take on this, and whether delayed action is incorporated into it.

Richard

Drill out the rivet from above* and then the coupling can easily be removed intact. (Sell on eBay if not broken). Drill two holes and the new coupling can be fixed with screws and nuts. Alternatively a replacement underframe as the Dublo u/f is not up to the body.

The original patent was indeed Peco - rights being sold/leased to Meccano Ltd. for 'toy' trains. Trix were later allowed to use it under licence. Tri-ang didn't want to pay the licence fee and lumbered us with the ghastly Tri-ang Mk II & Mk III (aka tension lock).

* Tricky in the case of open wagons as the rivets hold the body on.

• RMweb Premium

The original patent was indeed Peco - rights being sold/leased to Meccano Ltd. for 'toy' trains. Trix were later allowed to use it under licence. Tri-ang didn't want to pay the licence fee and lumbered us with the ghastly Tri-ang Mk II & Mk III (aka tension lock).

Example of Peco uncoupler, Peco coupling, later slim HD plastic coupling and Trix coupling:

post-6208-127400588891_thumb.jpg

As you can see the Peco and HD couplers are the same geometry (there was an intermediate thick plastic HD as well) but the Trix coupling although of a similar design was sufficiently different to make it's use with the others difficult, the uncoupling pin was much closer to the hook.

I would have thought it may have been made such to avoid patent issues with the Peco variety.

Keith

Example of Peco uncoupler, Peco coupling, later slim HD plastic coupling and Trix coupling:

post-6208-127400588891_thumb.jpg

As you can see the Peco and HD couplers are the same geometry (there was an intermediate thick plastic HD as well) but the Trix coupling although of a similar design was sufficiently different to make it's use with the others difficult, the uncoupling pin was much closer to the hook.

I would have thought it may have been made such to avoid patent issues with the Peco variety.

Keith

The problem with the Trix version was their enormous wheels necessitating a narrower uncoupling ramp. (This was also copied in the later -60s - Jouef/Playcraft version.) Full compatibility involves bending the uncoupling dropper in or out (Peco included instructions on this). This variation didn't save Trix from a lawsuit, which they lost. Incidently the Trix version is rather more reliable than the Dublo variety, thanks to the higher lift of the ramp and the upward 'prong' for coupling with the rather neat pre-war coupling (and the Trix Express post war type).

• RMweb Premium

The Trix coupling is from a "Speedfreight" container wagon which I would guess is from about 62/63.

The wheels are commendable for the period being metal & much finer than Hornby Dublo or Triang with pinpoint axles.

Even now the wagon runs very freely. Trix also made provision on their rolling stock at this time for standard Triang tension locks as well.

Keith

I await a NEM version of the Peco coupling with interest - I have a large wagon fleet, but I would be tempted to at least replace the ones used a lot for shunting.

The original Hornby Dublo coupling was a ghastly afair. If anyone has ever played with prewar HD they will know what I mean. Certainly the Peco coupling was light years ahead of them, and certainly better than the competition that seems to have lumbered itself on the UK market. The Peco coupling always reminded me of a very crude buckeye coupler.

• RMweb Premium

I await a NEM version of the Peco coupling with interest - I have a large wagon fleet, but I would be tempted to at least replace the ones used a lot for shunting.

Surely the Kadee performs that function these days?

Keith

The Trix coupling is from a "Speedfreight" container wagon which I would guess is from about 62/63.

The wheels are commendable for the period being metal & much finer than Hornby Dublo or Triang with pinpoint axles.

Even now the wagon runs very freely. Trix also made provision on their rolling stock at this time for standard Triang tension locks as well.

Keith

Yes it's the later 60s plastic version (no possibility to bend these!). These came with the Trix (rather than Trix Twin) pin point wheelsets, which had a quite reasonable profile, compatible with HD and BRMSB. The Trix Twin wheels were an entrely different matter. (B-B 12- 12.5mm. 4.2 mm thick - of which 1.7mm flange - and 2mm deep flanges :( ).

I would agree about the free running capabilities of the underframes. These will find the slightest slope.

Drill out the rivet from above* and then the coupling can easily be removed intact. (Sell on eBay if not broken).

* Tricky in the case of open wagons as the rivets hold the body on.

Or offer on the classifieds here; I'm always on the lookout for the Peco couplings to 'convert' modern stock for my HD layout. I'm about to use my last couplings

for some Dapol spine wagons; ironically the couplings were sold under the Wrenn label.

Simon.

Or offer on the classifieds here; I'm always on the lookout for the Peco couplings to 'convert' modern stock for my HD layout. I'm about to use my last couplings

for some Dapol spine wagons; ironically the couplings were sold under the Wrenn label.

Simon.

Hi,try here for HD couplings

http://www.dublopartsdecals.co.uk/spares_page_03.html

Regards,Ray.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Does anyone know whether the original patent of the Peco coupling (1946 IIRC) is still valid?

I don't know if it was the case, but the maximum duration of a patent within the EU is now 20 years, provided the annual maintenance fees are paid

So if indeed it was filed in 1946, it would seem that Trix would only have had to wait (or pay licence fees) until '66.

Best

Simon

The Hornby Dublo (actually, I believe, designed and patents held by Peco) coupling is much better, though it is impractical to fit to newer wagons like Bachmann.

Yes - it is much better, and I've fitted them to very many recent locos, coaches and wagons.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yes, it was featured in their latest newsletter of new products but with no further details. I asked someone on the Peco stand at Glasgow about release dates, but he was non-commital on this. The only problem with a NEM type is the height of the pocket, which is a bit of a moveable feast with some wagons. Still, it'll be interesting to see their take on this, and whether delayed action is incorporated into it.

Richard

I have very little confidence that we'll ever see this.

I spent some considerable time pointing out the problems with their original design and, at their request, sketched out a design that would be fully compatible with the old design.

No response subsequently.

Don't hold your breath !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1