Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

Ah that concrete! I still have the twitch!! Pollyfilla sanded smooth and painted grey. Not happy so painted with woodland scenics concrete. Very yellow. Painted with woodland scenics black dilute ( the wash for the rocks) and sponged off. I had to do that a few times to get the result I wanted. Worth it eventually and I’m pleased you like it. All coming together bit by bit.

• RMweb Premium

Great video - lovely to see the 37s working in and out. I hadn’t realised the services were mixed traffic - a really nice touch. 

Fully agree on the concrete - looks really good. I’ve added a mental note to copy it for my fuel point, which has now made my list of top 1000 priorities. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 61656 said:

Great video - lovely to see the 37s working in and out. I hadn’t realised the services were mixed traffic - a really nice touch. 

Fully agree on the concrete - looks really good. I’ve added a mental note to copy it for my fuel point, which has now made my list of top 1000 priorities. 

The mixed train was unique to the Mallaig extension by this point and ran as the teatime departure from Fort William. At a guess it was once a week but I really don’t know. The tanks carried diesel for the fishing fleet and ferries. The latest tranche of Bachmann TTAs have a slightly lower NEM pocket and once fitted with Kadee’s actually couple and uncouple from the locos and coaches. The reason they are getting so much use at the minute is because the operation is so much fun. Train arrives, loco pushes coaches back then runs round and onto the tanks. The whole train then shunts back so as the tank and coach are over the uncoupling magnet and the loco draws the tanks forward and shunts them into the oil dock siding, uncoupled and returns to the coaches, all done hands free and to be honest the novelty hasn’t warn off yet. Now what I have absolutely no idea about is how they were reattached to the train for the return journey so if anyone reading this has seen this operation or has knowledge about it I’d love to hear from you. 
The observation saloon used in 84 was pulled from the rear of the train and shunted into the loop and then the coaches were shunted onto the back of it before the whole train was shunted back into the platform. Until I watched this on video a couple of years ago I had assumed that the obs car was shunted to the rear of the train via the run round loop and then the coaches backed onto it which to my ignorant mind seems much simpler. I’d also assumed that the tanks would have been put on the rear in this manner. Maybe they were, maybe they too were put into the loop and had the coaches backed onto them. Maybe but I feel unlikely the coaches were backed into the oil dock siding, coupled to the tanks before returning to the platform road. Perhaps the tanks were shunted into platform 2 and the coaches backed onto them there and the whole train might have departed from that platform? I just don’t know so please if anyone does know that would be great.

For now I’m doing the same as with the observation saloon.

And just a little tantalising extra bit of info the mixed train crossed the returning train with the observation saloon at Glenfinnan so two very unusual services at possibly the prettiest station on the line at the same time. I do love the West Highland. :dancer:

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve really enjoyed watching how this has progressed. I’m not sure how I missed it but possibly because with little new development on my own layout I’d not dipped in to the site for about a year. Subsequently I’ve read your blog from page 1 - 22 on the train to and from work. It really looks spot on. I especially love the scenics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meanach said:

I’ve really enjoyed watching how this has progressed. I’m not sure how I missed it but possibly because with little new development on my own layout I’d not dipped in to the site for about a year. Subsequently I’ve read your blog from page 1 - 22 on the train to and from work. It really looks spot on. I especially love the scenics.

Thank you meanach for your kind words. I must admit at work tonight on my breaks I was reading RMweb and getting notifications of your reactions and I was thinking you perhaps couldn’t sleep haha. It’s a great honour that you’ve enjoyed my ramblings about my progress. I’ve enjoyed your thread over the years too and wondered why it had gone quiet. Your scenics are one of my benchmark inspirations. I may be new to the hobby, well at least the practical side of it but I’ve studied your work and aspire to endorsements like yours above. It’s encouraging to know that I’m getting a decent enough result that modellers who inspire what I’m trying to achieve for Mallaig pass on encouragement and compliments. 
My scenics are slow, very slow but I’m happy going at that pace in order to get it right or at least what I feel is good enough. I’m currently busy building houses on the workbench and despite absolutely hating scratbuilding when I started I’m now totally addicted and try to do at least a little bit each day. I’m thrilled you’ve called in, please pop by anytime, the kettles always on.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything resembling an update on here. Progress has been slow of late due to scratch building the houses. I’ve had no measurements to work from but Google Streetview has been my friend. I have actually found it more difficult than I’d expected and to be honest I’m not entirely happy with the results but for now I’m happy that they are ‘good enough’ to be placed on the layout. One day I will come back to them have another go but I have become bogged down and move on. Well move on to the next two. Hopefully my skills will improve the more I do. For now though they do at least give a fair representation of what they are supposed to look like. They need some subtle weathering to tone them down somewhat and I’m sure I’ll be content.

The Oxford Rail Great Eastern ventilated van arrived a few weeks ago and has now been taken from its chassis, repainted, weathered and mounted on a sleeper base. I’m very grateful to Warren for alerting me to this model as I was unaware of it. I originally ordered the Banana Van but changed the order to the ventilated van as I unearthed a photo that clearly showed the vents on the end. Other than that the two look exactly the same. So from going from having no idea what the van originally was to having an exact replica on the layout within a month I think is something of a result. Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited about a shed! 

90172F99-900E-42B8-ADE8-DE51C547B881.jpeg

0C94C579-102B-4316-9A8D-4920C5CA61EE.jpeg.6eff899193c161ab01836baf2693c545.jpeg

92855277-2505-482F-8E83-0F508C88849D.jpeg

5E36F84C-41A7-4EF3-8B13-A7AB4D2B6CD5.jpeg

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 4

Another go at loading the photo of the van successfully and a couple of pics showing the first of the houses. A start has been made on the gardens too.

82C69010-45CD-489B-8EF3-621005ADD223.jpeg

7113521D-A189-4DB0-80DE-8EA5EC7173DA.jpeg

4F1B129F-C769-48A2-A124-9FBA827B2E2B.jpeg

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

On This Day In History….

Ive been thinking it would be nice to record in model form some of the unusual events that happened on the Mallaig extension during the 1980s and release a post on the same date to commemorate the event.

Well now that we have RMweb back up and running again I thought that today would be a good date to start. This is because on this day in history (1/4/1983) the Cambrian Coast Line Action Group (CCLAG) who were at the time promoting the line and keeping a close eye on what BR were planning as the threat of closure was always a real possibility, ran a special from Pwllheli/Aberystwyth to Mallaig/Oban.

Three 2 car sets had started early in the morning from both Pwllheli and Aberystwyth and were joined at Machynlleth. From here the 12 car set went on to Shrewsbury and forward to Crewe where the train was hauled up the West Coast mainline to Glasgow by a pair of class 81s. From Glasgow central the train made its way through the city before joining the line to Helensburgh and onto the West Highland. A long layover was made at Crianlarich for passengers to avail themselves of the tearoom and to rejoin the train in whichever portion they were travelling in to either Oban or Mallaig. I am told of the confusion as some passengers in their excitement got onto the correct portion only to discover later that they had left luggage and cameras etc in the original portion. I am told but I don’t know how true it is but one gentleman forgot he was travelling with his wife and kids and as he made he his way to Mallaig they enjoyed a trip to Oban!

Eventually the portion that arrived at Mallaig disgorged it’s by now rather tired passengers and they headed off on search of fish n chips.

Information on the day is sketchy at best and sadly I’ve not been able to find any photos so as for set numbers I’ve just used what I’ve got.

I hope you enjoy my re-enactment of what must have been a grand day out.

8F1CB59B-5329-41F4-9DEA-EFC42C230C1D.jpeg

FD6803BF-61A2-4B65-A47F-AF21906235B9.jpeg

D0F5CB48-166E-485A-AFEF-4D8607E29225.jpeg

AC7C7A44-14E4-471C-9CA0-EE88EAA215C8.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

I’m not sure if it was this trip or another with DMU’s (can’t think there were many !) where 2 of the sets dreadfully over heated and had to sit for a long time somewhere . 

I’ve certainly never realised they came all the way from the Cambrian ! Poor things must have been exhausted! 

• Funny 3

Well they did at least get a tow up the west coast mainline. Not sure if the clean air act was in place in 83 but I can only imagine the clag it would have caused climbing shap! They were bad enough over Teleddig.

😉

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, meanach said:

I’m not sure if it was this trip or another with DMU’s (can’t think there were many !) where 2 of the sets dreadfully over heated and had to sit for a long time somewhere . 

I’ve certainly never realised they came all the way from the Cambrian ! Poor things must have been exhausted! 

I remember climbing Teleddig in a 158 one very hot day and was treated to a lovely cold shower as the air conditioning gave up the fight and doused many of us with its contents. A very welcome relief from the awful conditions inside the unit. Well once those of us who received it had got over the shock. Still nowhere near as much fun as earlier occasions when I would be travelling on the loco hauled Saturday services to Porthmadog and Pwllheli. Never got hot on those trains as the head was always out of the window enjoying class 37 hellfire. Great days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Sadly the Cambrian was a bit off my pocket money allowance. So I only ever did it twice ‘back in the day ‘ . Once with a pair of rats on a family holiday, probably about 83. And the next time was with 37431 & 426. I spent far longer with 37s on a coast and peaks rover doing tractors on the Shrewsbury - Liverpool - Crewe run . Of course , I’ve done a few tours in recent years . 

• Like 3

You’re lucky to have had the rats. I’ve never seen one on the coast line as they never returned when Barmouth bridge reopened in 81. Of course they continued to Aber for a few years. Thanks for sharing your memories. 
Long before I moved here we would have our annual week’s holiday in Porthmadog or Criccieth. With the dog in the car there was no room for me so I’d be on the train. Loved it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

On This Day In History….

Ive been thinking it would be nice to record in model form some of the unusual events that happened on the Mallaig extension during the 1980s and release a post on the same date to commemorate the event.

Well now that we have RMweb back up and running again I thought that today would be a good date to start. This is because on this day in history (1/4/1983) the Cambrian Coast Line Action Group (CCLAG) who were at the time promoting the line and keeping a close eye on what BR were planning as the threat of closure was always a real possibility, ran a special from Pwllheli/Aberystwyth to Mallaig/Oban.

Three 2 car sets had started early in the morning from both Pwllheli and Aberystwyth and were joined at Machynlleth. From here the 12 car set went on to Shrewsbury and forward to Crewe where the train was hauled up the West Coast mainline to Glasgow by a pair of class 81s. From Glasgow central the train made its way through the city before joining the line to Helensburgh and onto the West Highland. A long layover was made at Crianlarich for passengers to avail themselves of the tearoom and to rejoin the train in whichever portion they were travelling in to either Oban or Mallaig. I am told of the confusion as some passengers in their excitement got onto the correct portion only to discover later that they had left luggage and cameras etc in the original portion. I am told but I don’t know how true it is but one gentleman forgot he was travelling with his wife and kids and as he made he his way to Mallaig they enjoyed a trip to Oban!

Eventually the portion that arrived at Mallaig disgorged it’s by now rather tired passengers and they headed off on search of fish n chips.

Information on the day is sketchy at best and sadly I’ve not been able to find any photos so as for set numbers I’ve just used what I’ve got.

I hope you enjoy my re-enactment of what must have been a grand day out.

8F1CB59B-5329-41F4-9DEA-EFC42C230C1D.jpeg

FD6803BF-61A2-4B65-A47F-AF21906235B9.jpeg

D0F5CB48-166E-485A-AFEF-4D8607E29225.jpeg

AC7C7A44-14E4-471C-9CA0-EE88EAA215C8.jpeg

Driving home from work just now I realised that some of you might be curious to know what happened to the man and his family. Well I’m reliably informed that Mr Fool, his charming wife April and their kids were all reunited at Crianlarich on the return trip and apparently the ‘earache’ he received lasted all the way back to Pwllheli 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Driving home from work just now I realised that some of you might be curious to know what happened to the man and his family. Well I’m reliably informed that Mr Fool, his charming wife April and their kids were all reunited at Crianlarich on the return trip and apparently the ‘earache’ he received lasted all the way back to Pwllheli 🤣

Ok, I'll admit to having reacted to the original post with an 'I' for 'informative' but had no sooner done this than noticed the date and the CCLAG group ....and made a very hasty 'reaction' change to funny ! No doubt somewhere my 'foolishness' has been electronically recorded !!

Excellent, certainly brought a smile to my face ! ☺️

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well crafted.  I was fortunate in reading from the bottom up so knew it was a “long” tale, but a very enjoyable read anyway.

My experience of Criccieth was early 70s so just DMUs although we did manage to get to Aberystwyth for the CCE in 72 so watched it arrive and propel back to run round.  Station is a shadow of even then!

Paul.

• Like 2

I was driving back home from picking up logs yesterday morning and realised it was April 1st. I’d planned to weave my elaborate yarn from weeks ago but then with RMweb down I didn’t give it anymore thought until around 11 yesterday. Apparently these things have to be done before 12 noon so there was a rushed unboxing of units and a hastily typed text. As long as the readers have had a chuckle that’s the main thing. 

my first experience of the Cambrian was in 1980. We had holidays at Pwllheli, Criccieth and Porthmadog and one evening each week we would get a family ‘evening’ rover ticket and go down to Barmouth or Tywyn. Also sitting on the beach at Criccieth they would run behind us. I would often run up to the small level crossing to stand near as they came through. Just typing that I’ve had a waft of the smell come back to me. Also sitting on the beach you could follow there progress along the coast, particularly if the train contained one of the white units. This is why I have a real soft spot for first generation units and have some in the collection for a possible later layout.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Right, best get this thread back on topic! After something of a lull in progress partly due to Mojo Difficency Syndrome (MDS) and partly due to the dragging winter sapping motivation for anything other than catching up on rest, coinciding with RMweb being back to inspire and share the mojo has returned. It would appear that all photos are lost (I haven’t kept the ones I’d loaded as I didn’t think I’d need to as they were on RMweb) I thought I might as well just put a few on here taken yesterday. If any new visitors were to come across this thread they wouldn’t have any images to see what the thread is about. Plus these will also be pics unseen by anyone who has been following. 
I find it incredible that I started this project 2 years ago. At the time i thought that Mallaig would be finished by now and I’d be onto Glenfinnan. So much has been learned over this time and prices have gone up ridiculously. So here are a few pics to get the ball rolling again.

I hope you’ll continue to enjoy the thread as I push on with renewed enthusiasm.

EED0DF5A-D78F-420C-BF8E-4CE197876F8B.jpeg

85D96BFE-F844-4A29-9144-1520D5D9F9E6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

This is a photo of the Wiers Way Forty Miles to Skye YouTube video that caused great excitement a few months ago. My version also included. You can see some of the compromises I’ve had to make but I hope you think it’s a fair representation.

6F38B8CC-EF7C-4414-A4E3-5A9FF934FB64.jpeg

ABB0A52B-110A-4470-B3DC-F777F2A1E6CA.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2