Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

Please excuse the lighting on that last photograph. I’ve only just noticed but it really does make the ballast look much harsher than it is in reality. Also this phone camera seems to accentuate anything that’s white. One day I’ll take some photos with the actual camera and upload via the computing machine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking good, it does seem that model red ballast taxes most Digi cameras. The prototype shot you posted on Saturday looks to be one of the earliest I've seen of Mallaig clearly showing red ballast in use. It seems to me from photos that it was a grey ballast in the 60s &70s with shots from the early 80s starting to show the red? Although to be honest the earlier photos show more oil spill than ballast colour, so I'm not sure if I'm imagining it? Unsure of Somerset😄

Edited by slow8dirty
Finger kaplinken kaputt
  • Like 1

That prototype photo is actually a pic taken of the telly while watching Video 125’s Steam to Mallaig filmed in 1985. When I ballasted the layout it didn’t take long to start worrying that I was too early for the red stuff. I’ve put to much light above the layout to take the photo. It is much less harsh in reality but you are absolutely correct with what you say about the oil spill. I have attempted to capture this in part but not being in possession of an air brush I have left the more detailed stuff until I’m armed with one.

• Like 2

Another wee progress report to share where I’m at. No shed building this week as I’m back on the station building. I’d been putting off this build since pretty much day one due to a complete lack of confidence. I’ve built up a few basic scratch building skills while dabbling with simpler projects over the last 18 months and to be fair I’m really enjoying this build. It’s not perfect I’ll admit but I am happy with how it’s coming together and I’m finding it fun and satisfying. Constantly going back to photographs and often seeing a little something I’ve never noticed. The main roof structure went together reasonably well. First I made templates for each section using good old cereal box and then transferred this to Wills slate sheets. The dormers however were a bit of a pig and I found they left me with gaps underneath the barge board facias so teeny tiny itty bitty pieces of the slate sheet had to be cut (then lost) and glued into position. Window frames and doors for the extension have also proved a fiddly challenge. There is some fettling to be done admittedly and I await a delivery of more slate sheets to slate the extension roof with but as of this Sunday afternoon this is where I’m at.

A4305FAC-646D-4537-9F23-9474521EB3E4.jpeg

AE0E4313-43BB-47D0-91DB-5D3ECB4C3ADD.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

The last time that I went to Mallaig by rail was in the 2010s.

Throughout the western Highlands, as might have been noted, and sorry if I am repeating well known info, the place was known as Mallig.

More frighteningly my extremely broad West Riding accent was totally mis-interpreted.

I genuinely got asked, at the bar, which island I had caught the ferry in from!

They thought that I was a dyed in the wool Gaellic speaker strugglig with English.

Probably not relevant but I still enjoy the anecdote even now!

Still most people in West Norfolk are of the same opinion today. Heathen!

Ian T

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

I just placed the part completed building on the layout to see how it looked. Viewing the station area from the boat slip end of the lay I feel pretty chuffed that it’s getting the look and feel I was hoping for.

I think you’ve cracked it. The view over the rocks is particularly effective.

Andy

13 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think you’ve cracked it. The view over the rocks is particularly effective.

Andy

Thanks Andy. It was that view that prompted the post really. I was crouched down looking at it with a smile forming and I just had to take a photo. 

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This lot on the right of the loco might test your modelling patience a bit more Andy, photo by Ted Arisaig, Jan 1982 .... special worked with 37260 + 26029 + what is described as Pullman stock (blue/grey ) although the first coach behind the locos is a Mk1 FO or FK (glimpses of others seen in other shots in Ted's album.)

Mallaig. Sunday 10th January 1982.

Edited by 03060
  • Like 4

Yes Ian, you have a good point. Those fish boxes arnt exactly stacked neatly are they? They’d have to be individually placed 😬

Thankyou for sharing the link to the photo and all the other interesting pics from Ted Atisaig. 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Thankyou for sharing the link to the photo and all the other interesting pics from Ted Atisaig. 

Thanks must go to Rob ( @young37215 ) for the Ted Arisaig links as it was through his WHL v.4 thread that I picked up on them today, 1 or 2 that I've seen before but many new ones to me and I've still got the Steam album to view.

• Like 1

More progress on the station building over the past 7 days. Windows and doors fitted to the extension and this weekend has seen the roof fitted. I’m not sure about the coping at the moment but will see how it looks when painted. It’s been a fiddly process but very enjoyable. Painting and gutters are required along with chimney pots etc.

1D6E213D-5A92-4B78-9951-4312CFD82BF4.jpeg

3402682E-3FE9-49D1-810C-B21565A051CF.jpeg

5ABAE425-C86F-4533-A8D7-8941E57FEA97.jpeg

D173C664-9560-4910-86F8-29D9D8A71768.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Andy, the building is very recognisable, 

One minor observation and I am sure you are aware that you have not cut out the 3 windows for the Gents on the side of the original building. I found this easy with a drill and needle file to square off the opening.  

37191 Mallaig

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, young37215 said:

Nice work Andy, the building is very recognisable, 

One minor observation and I am sure you are aware that you have not cut out the 3 windows for the Gents on the side of the original building. I found this easy with a drill and needle file to square off the opening.  

37191 Mallaig

Thanks Rob.

Yes I’m aware they are missing and I had given the windows some thought but at the time decided they would be to much of a faff to do as they’re rather small and the wooden frames would be very fiddly. I’ll give it some more thought though. They may yet appear….

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Module00 said:

really interesting theme, I like very well your tread. 😀

Thanks for stopping by. I enjoy your YouTube videos too. A little bit of Scotland in the south of France 🇫🇷 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

This weekend’s work on Mallaig has been a bit disjointed with a bit of this and a bit of that. I finished the secure compound that sits behind the storm protection wall. I know I need to acquire or make a LOT more fish boxes to go in this area. A few bits of kit relating to the fishing were stored in this area and I will be getting bits and pieces to fill it up as and when I can. Lots more fish boxes, nets and some lobster pots will be added soon. I’ve also done a bit of weathering on the sheds. I intended to make a start on painting individual blocks on the station building prior to giving it a grey wash but instead I ended up replacing a dormer roof. It was the small one at the front of the building and the angle wasn’t right. As the building is viewed from the rear it was hardly noticeable but I knew it wasn’t right. Happy with it now. 

I will take a few photos of the trains operating and get them posted soon but for now here is the latest sit rep on the station area.

C03B4D68-85C0-4684-9CAA-A3B0F630029A.jpeg

9E8FC1C8-CCBE-4995-8D0D-2EB17B4D163B.jpeg

5667635C-4CD4-4FB2-8CFB-B97C31AE1D0C.jpeg

159027D9-9D24-4C82-8631-F87D208F0127.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello Mallaig 1983,

I wonder if you could help me?

I'm planning on building a static scale model in 1:76 of a part of Mallaig Harbour during the Herring fishing years, with a steam engine etc sitting on the Dock side. 

I'm wondering if you could point me in the right direction for research for this project. 

I'm also wanting to scratch build a Fifie Herring vessel to be part of it too. 

Hopefully if it's successful I'll get to display it in the Calmac office in Armadale. 

Kind regards, 

Gary. 

59 minutes ago, Tarsky said:

Hello Mallaig 1983,

I wonder if you could help me?

I'm planning on building a static scale model in 1:76 of a part of Mallaig Harbour during the Herring fishing years, with a steam engine etc sitting on the Dock side. 

I'm wondering if you could point me in the right direction for research for this project. 

I'm also wanting to scratch build a Fifie Herring vessel to be part of it too. 

Hopefully if it's successful I'll get to display it in the Calmac office in Armadale. 

Kind regards, 

Gary. 

Hi Gary.

Have you had a look at the Mallaig Heritage Centre? It’s a really great facility. There should also be plenty of photos online of the harbour area. I’m guessing you are thinking about the fish pier? I’ve come across lots of photos of it while searching for Mallaig station. 
I would email the heritage centre and see if they have any material or memoirs that could help you.

Good Luck with it and please let me know how your progress is going.

Andy 

http://www.mallaigheritage.org.uk/

Edited by mallaig1983