Hornby 42XX/52XX and 72XX any recent upgrades

GWR-fan

I bought two 2-8-0Ts and a 2-8-2T when they first appeared. They later appeared with upgraded chassis. Having been disappointed with the original mechanisms, I decided to buy the upgraded models and fit the new chassis into the older bodies. The 2-8-0Ts were fine but the 2-8-2T wouldn’t fit. All due praise to Hornby for picking up the differences in detail but it did rather spoil my cunning plan.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

I bought two 2-8-0Ts and a 2-8-2T when they first appeared. They later appeared with upgraded chassis. Having been disappointed with the original mechanisms, I decided to buy the upgraded models and fit the new chassis into the older bodies. The 2-8-0Ts were fine but the 2-8-2T wouldn’t fit. All due praise to Hornby for picking up the differences in detail but it did rather spoil my cunning plan.

Thanks, I had same idea. Having damaged (in a fit of rage!) my original 72xx - which wasn't runnign well, terrible pick up perhaps not helped by a hamfisted attempt to fit the Brassmasters detailing parts - I was hoping to swap with a new chassis. Maybe a bit of surgery on the body might do the trick or I'll have to try and repair the one I "dropped".

3 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

Thanks, I had same idea. Having damaged (in a fit of rage!) my original 72xx - which wasn't runnign well, terrible pick up perhaps not helped by a hamfisted attempt to fit the Brassmasters detailing parts - I was hoping to swap with a new chassis. Maybe a bit of surgery on the body might do the trick or I'll have to try and repair the one I "dropped".

The original ones were, I think, the first to suffer from “design clever”. Whilst there is nothing much wrong in principle with three-pole motors, Hornby seemed to have acquired a supply of cheap ones, some of which worked and some of which were awful. The addition of flywheels didn’t mask the bad ones. The later releases addressed the worst problems.

It’s a long time ago now but I recall that the cylinders didn’t fit. I tried to transfer all the motion to the older model but I couldn’t get that to fit either. I might be wrong but I don’t think Hornby produced a later 2-8-2T which provided a compatible chassis. It would, of course, have been easier to buy the newer version but my trio were all GWR liveried whereas IIRC the later ones were all BR.

• Informative/Useful 1