The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium

"If you boil Fussells Condensed Milk in it's [sic] can you can make sticky toffee for a pudding"

5 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Other brands are available, and work just as well.  You're basically making Dulche de Leche (which can also be bought as a ready-made ingredient.)

Hadn't spotted that. Thanks for pointing it out.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Online shopping may be convenient, but it costs more to the retailer which is why Ocado are so focussed on automated packing robot swarms in their centres.

I wish they would focus on delivering down here......

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Mrs Stationmaster bought a 16 roll pack in Tesco this afternoon (they're reduced again) - I think that brings our reserve stock up to about 170 odd rolls.  Retailers will keep on reducing the price every now and then so we always buy some when there is a reduction on ;) 

170 rolls? Are you trying to supply Kings Cross??

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think that brings our reserve stock up to about 170 odd rolls.

At my current rate of consumption, that would probably last me at least 8 years....

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... I think that brings our reserve stock up to about 170 odd rolls ...

We're down to 204 in reserve right now and will continue to run the stock down until we reach our normal level of around 120.  I need to keep an eye on coffee prices though as the reserve that we accumulated last year from half-price offers will only take us to January, so it'll soon be time to start replenishing.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, andytrains said:

I will be getting through our bog roll reserve today as I have a Colonoscopy tomorrow!

Roll on the Moviprep and the sore asss!

Much, much too much information now.......:bo_mini:

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

170 rolls? Are you trying to supply Kings Cross??

Nah, we only buy them when they are reduced and we have a household of 4 adults and two cats (that means certain stuff to clear from the litter trays plus one of them has a habit of puking every now and then so that also has to be picked up to go down the toilet).   Actual stock levels in the reserve stock do vary and have been down to about 60 in the not too distant past and when there was a supply problem, and no price reductions of course, during lockdown 1 it was at times down to zero.

But they're just like some other basic household requisites  - we only buy them when the price is reduced and  hold a stock to see us through times when the price isn't reduced.  Same goes for stuff like bleach and washing stuff like Lenor.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

4 adults and two cats (that means certain stuff to clear from the litter trays plus one of them has a habit of puking every now and then so that also has to be picked up to go down the toilet). 

And I thought I had put too much detail!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

We had only just bought a pack of 24 at the start of panic buying 2020.

A couple of months in, Asda kindly delivered us another 9 pack as a freebie.

They mistakenly delivered them at the time they were not taking returns, so anything delivered in error you kept.

(We also has some coffee whitener. Still got that as we couldn't find anyone near to us that used it.)

Result is we only needed to buy another pack last month.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Definitely TMI........:wacko:

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Much, much too much information now.......:bo_mini:

Toilet roll consumption examples can't be anything but...  :scared:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Toilet roll consumption examples can't be anything but...  :scared:

Precisely, can we get back the the thread core which is “Panic Buying” not “Panic Using” :lol:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

There was a period about 4 or 5 years ago out local Tesco was doing regular toilet roll sales of a particular brand.  Under half price, every time went in we bought a 24pack  We ended up with a roll mountain in the Spare room..

They're now gone, but not that long ago...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, andytrains said:

I will be getting through our bog roll reserve today as I have a Colonoscopy tomorrow!

Roll on the Moviprep and the sore asss!

hope all go's well for you been there got the T shirt several times not fun 

John 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anybody having trouble with the Asda Online shopping?

A few days ago I couldn't check out on my desktop* (Win 10/Firefox) so I changed to "new" Edge browser and it checked out first attempt.

*The problem was when you tried to check out, It dropped out of the program and the log-in panel re-appeared, It wouldn't check out on my laptop either, so unlikely a computer fault.

Today again Firefox wouldn't work but neither would Edge, so I switched to Chrome. It took several attempts but I did check out in the end.

No Problem with Ocado, that checked out straight away with Win 10/Firefox

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More problems with Asda's online system.

Apart from a lot of out of stock items (thank you media for starting another panic buying season) the website is playing up.

Items added to the current shop (amend items) ended up in a different basket when the site suddenly closed down without warning.

Started again and this weeks shop had dropped to £11.56 from £78.03.

Changed browser and PC from Firefox to Chrome and halfway through re-amending the order a notice popped up telling me there was a system problem and I should try again later. (Bang goes my amendments)

Not much help when the shop for tomorrow needs to be finished today.

Now more people are shopping in person you would think the on-line suystem would be under less pressure - they are currently advertising cheaper delivery slots, so presumably less custom now.

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The problems mount with Asda online deliveries, but strangely generally not Milk which comes from Arla, who have nationwide delivery problems just now.

Breakfast cereal, first choice went OOS, select another, then that went OOS so selected another that's now OOS so no cereal on delivery.

Lunch salads, first & second choice went OOS, third choice went OOS, selected fourth, now also gone OOS, so no salads on delivery.

About 20% of what I wanted to order in the first place was unavailble so looks like we are now on a diet.:o

I do wish they would stop suggesting/substituting meat based products when you select meat free ones, which go OOS.

What's wrong? Can't they sell them?

That's why a lot of my ordered products don't have sub against them, they sent something last time that contained chicken, when an OOS item was meat free.

It's got so bad that I am having to go to a supermarket to top up.

Last week I went to the very Asda that delivers to us and was able to get most of what was missing on the last order!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

The problems mount with Asda online deliveries, but strangely generally not Milk which comes from Arla, who have nationwide delivery problems just now.

Breakfast cereal, first choice went OOS, select another, then that went OOS so selected another that's now OOS so no cereal on delivery.

Lunch salads, first & second choice went OOS, third choice went OOS, selected fourth, now also gone OOS, so no salads on delivery.

About 20% of what I wanted to order in the first place was unavailble so looks like we are now on a diet.:o

I do wish they would stop suggesting/substituting meat based products when you select meat free ones, which go OOS.

What's wrong? Can't they sell them?

That's why a lot of my ordered products don't have sub against them, they sent something last time that contained chicken, when an OOS item was meat free.

It's got so bad that I am having to go to a supermarket to top up.

Last week I went to the very Asda that delivers to us and was able to get most of what was missing on the last order!

The only thing on our order today was no sweet and salty peanuts available…..so seaweed peanuts instead, fine.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Is that what's inside the bubbly bits on some types of seaweed?

Of course……you should try them…….don’t make a mistake and order the Barrel Jellyfish Beer though :wacko:

• Like 1