Jamieson LMS Jubilee kit build

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

I will check tonight and see how it lines up, but I totally agree! The chimney and steam pipes were guesses and they were put on before I built the cylinders. The drawing I have is of the double chimney type, so mot much help at all. 

I should be able re-align everything a bit better now.

• RMweb Gold

I re aligned the steam pipes and chimney so hope it looks a bit better now. Also fitted the washout plugs. Needs a good scrub with some viakal though!!! Motion gear will be done once i paint the chassis.

20200324_222902.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That looks better but your washout plugs are the wrong ones - these are GW type with a raised rim round, LMS and BR ones just have the square plug recessed in a hole in the cladding. I've described how to do this with lead sheet and square brass wire somewhere in my workshop thread.

• Thanks 1

Steps were always a weak spot with Jamieson, Mainly Trains do etched ones as do Comet (both now obtainable through Wizard Models)

This is a far easier Comet site to look up Comet products

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

The thing with a Jamieson model is its a vintage kit sparse on detail, on the other hand a super strong canvass to build a detailed model, the amount used is up to the modeller

You could but a wrecked plastic body, or a beat up whitemetal kit cheaply and rob it/them of parts.

Given that a new kit usually starts at £90+ and wheels motor and gears will be about the same at £50 investment to date you have plenty of wriggle room

Best of all as someone recently said in a Jedinco thread, its so much more rewarding building a difficult kit than one which is beautifully designed and very easy to build

• Thanks 1

This is mine from a Jamison kit. It's in EM & has just gone through the workshop for its upgrade. 

New wheels, new motor & gearbox & some cut & shut comet valve gear. A right challenge to say the least.

Your models looking superb by the way. 

20200223_195243.jpg

20200223_195231.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Wow - thank you for all the offers of advice, comments and very big thank you for the offer of the steps.

I have etched steps somewhere in my spares box, I just need to see if they are the right ones and if I have enough.

I will drill out the wrong washout plugs and see if I can find the link on how to make them. These were Markits ones and I wasnt sure if they were the right ones or not.

Rhb Simon - that is very impressive. Unfortunately I dont think mine will turn out anywhere near as good!! I have learnt a lot about these kits so when I build the Black 5 one I have, I hopefully wont make the same mistakes again and it will turn out a bit better!!

Thanks again

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Washout plugs are in either my workshop thread or the Judith Edge kits one. It's not complicated, basically a sheet of lead is soldered inside the firebox or boiler after the holes have been drilled, then run a smaller drill through the centre of the hole and push a short length of square brass wire into it and solder at the back. 0.5mm square wire is  about right for 4mm. It does have the advantage of adding weight where it is most needed in a 4-6-0 as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I unsoldered the incorrect washout plugs, filled the holes with solder and re-drilled them. I then soldered a brass plate behind the holes and superglued some 0.5mm sq styrene rod for the bolts. I looks better. Bot perfrct but none of my efforts are. Pics will follow over the weekend as i hope to get the motion gear and more detail added ( pumps, lamp brackets etc). I am also waiting for a Comet tender chassis to arrive so i can make a start on that. The good thing is that some of the pics show a flush sided tender. No need to try and do 100's of rivets!

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of pics showing current state of affairs. Washout plugs changed, bogie assembled, and added some more detail such as the sand-fillers (Westward) and Pumps (Alan Gibson & Markits) . Putting off motion gear until the chassis is painted and gearbox/motor sorted out. More detail being worked for the loco. On the prototype, there are some things I see on the footplate, just behind the steam pipes, just as the smokebox starts and in front of the Westinghouse pumps. The have pipes coming out of them, just not sure what they are called. I haven't seen these sold anywhere in 4mm so I guess a bit of scratchbuilding is required.  

20200330_071621_resized.jpg

20200330_071542_resized.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Michael. I had a go last night and making a couple that resemble the items. I will take a look and see what I find with Comet and Alan Gibson.

I ordered the Stanier tender chassis items from Wizard over a week ago but they haven't arrived so I am a little concerned about stuff getting lost in the post. Wizard are usually very prompt with delivery and he stated he posted them on the 23rd!!

Thanks

Ian 

• RMweb Premium

I received  a box posted first class last wednesday from a customer this morning. We were both getting concerned.

Thanks to LNER 4479 I can now add a photo of another Jamieson Jubilee. I bought this from a well known auction site.  Pinted by Larry Goddard built by an unknown builder she is a beauty and works well when on the front of the LMS train on Shap..

step forward..

2112883700_LMSMaroonJubileeCanada.jpg.d2683aa0c4a86cb8f179abb6a0fc2c28.jpg

Canada.

(I thought it was Mars... Red Leader thought it was called Leeward Isles..)

So keep on building!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Baz. Unfortunately, mine will never look that good, but im still pleased with how things are progressing. Skills improve each time i do a kit, but i still make silly mistakes!! Hopefully i can get on with the motion gear today.

I had a spare set of Comet steps so used those instead of the ones Hayfield so kindly sent ne. I will save those for another project! Mashima motor and High Level gearbox now fitted and initial tests are quite positive!!! Seems to run smoothly in both directions so far!

I also fitted a trim around the cab and window frames using spare boiler bands, inset panes for the doors and handrail, the brake shoes, cab roof hatch, and other small details. 

20200403_111840.jpg

20200403_111819.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I dont think so mate! You do some great work. I have just completed the motion gear. It never seems to run as smoothly after that, but it looks the part!! I also managed to etch prime the body and put a coat of red primer as well. Ready for top coats tomorrow!

I can get used to this working from home business!!

15859366304804383431583412752626.jpg

15859366947232330487789511553539.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Picks ups, brakes, dcc chip, top coats should take me through to next week. Wizard want to hang on a few more days before claiming for the lost tender parts so that will have to wait another week or two!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a few days working at home and managed to spend some time in the railway room over the weekend so got on quite well. Pick ups and Zimo MX623 chip fitted, scratchbuilt brakes (the metal ones kept shorting out), loco painted and lined. Still having issues with the wheels shorting on the body so may need to raise the body using a washer between the chassis.

The numbering is slightly off and the lining is a little iffy in places but i'm hoping after weathering it wont be that noticeable. 

On a positive note, the tender chassis parts which Wizard posted on the 23rd March actually showed up yesterday!! The normal 2 day delivery via Royal Mail took 14 days!! The main this is its here now, so I can spend the next week or so putting the tender together! In 1938, 5572 Eire was issued a welded tender. Before that it was a Fowler tender. So, no need to put 1000 rivets on the Jamieson tender now, I can keep it flat sided as it is!! 

20200406_231803_resized.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Almost there! Constructed the tender using the Jamieson body sections, filler and dome, but Comet chassis and tank vents. I had to scratchbuild the front including the chute, toolbox and brake/scoop handles etc. I utilised some parts left over from a Brassmasters 3F detailing kit which helped. Transfers are a mix from Fox and HRMS. Next up is varnish, coal, crew and weathering and a good run around the layout.

20200416_125039.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 8