Docks away!, or, making a virtue out of a necessity . . .

Booking Hall

Not much progress on Broadhaven due to the eagerly looked forward to task of filing our tax returns and other household administrative things that crop up at this time of year, but as some relaxation from all that I've been making some 'goods in transit' to busy up the quayside and shed.

Drainage pipes came to mind, and at the time period in which Broadhaven is set (early 1960's), they would have been the short, socketed, salt glazed earthenware type, which as far as I know aren't available commercially, so I decided to make some.

After a few experiments, I settled upon the plastic drinking straws which come glued to the side of small juice cartons, and of which I had a plentiful supply collected over the years just waiting for their time to come!

The critical details are 1) colour and 2) the enlarged end which forms the socket for the next pipe. I made this by gently warming the straw over a candle and then forced in a 3mm drill shank. After cooling I marked off the required length, in my case 12mm to represent a 3ft pipe (they came in 2ft and 3ft lengths in the 9" diameter), then inserted a barbecue skewer to support the pipe whilst cutting it to length with a knife. Repeat lots of times, then paint with burnt sienna paint. They could probably do with a coat of varnish as new pipes tended to be quite shiny, but I'm not sure I'll bother. Now they need a crate and to go in and some straw to pack around them.

433.JPG

434.JPG

435.JPG

436.JPG

437.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...

Building scenic parts for the club layout has occupied most of my modelling time for the last few weeks, and I really wanted to get on with making some storage racking for the transit shed, as I can't fix the shed in place until that's done and installed. Anyway, with a temporary lull on the club layout (until tomorrow!), I took advantage of the time to draw some shelving frames in AutoCAD, print them onto A4 size sticky label paper and glue them to cereal box card. Then, after a lot of cutting out (oh for a Cricut or similar machine!), they were glued together.  They are not a strict copy of any sort of racking, just sufficient to go in the rear of the shed so it looks like a working environment.

They need painting of course, and it was only after I'd taken the 'completed' photo that I realised I'd made them too long to fit! So now I have the choice of cutting one of them down, or making up a shorter length with some of the spare pieces . . . 

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 9

In the end I cut down the tall shelving and fitted some new ends, then it was a quick spray with primer from the £1 shop and add some clutter, sorry, goods in transit. I just used what was to hand, or easily and quickly adapted. I'm not one of those modellers who spends hours carefully creating details that will hardly be seen.

Now glued onto the back of the shed, the shed itself can be fixed in place.

004.JPG

006.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 8 months later...

Well, followers of this thread will not be surprised that the lack of postings during the last nine months has coincided with nil activity on the layout. However, all that has changed in the past two days. Owing to our club (Pendle Forest Model Railway Society) having to put back our annual exhibition by a week due to the venue having double booked, one of the layouts which was booked to attend can now only come on the Saturday, so our Exhibition Manager casually asked me to bring one of my layouts to fill in. Now all of my other layouts have been seen there so I volunteered Broadhaven, as this may be the only invitation to show it that I receive, so there is some frantic activity going on to bring it to a state in which I consider it to be worthy of showing. However, I also had to complete a major rebuilding project on the club layout that is also going to take centre stage, meaning that it's not until today that I've been able to do some work on mine!

Luckily most of the bits and bobs to detail the scene have already been made, and it's more a case of finishing touches. I did want to re-do the sea, so the boats look like they are floating in it rather than on it, but I have doubts that the varnish will dry in time, so I've decided that will have to wait. But I did add some dark and light green flock powder to the seaweed area printed at the bottom of the dock wall on the Scalescenes sheets, and that has vastly improved the look of it.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

On 20/11/2023 at 20:51, sb67 said:

I'm sure Broadhaven will go down a treat, I do like the boats, you've done well to fit them in without them being overpowering. 

Thanks Steve. I'm glad you think the boats fit OK. I wasn't sure when I decided to build the large fishing boat, but I do think it balances up the scene nicely now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A few days of frantic work have got Broadhaven Docks to a state where I feel it is worthy of showing, and I've even managed to sort out most of the running problems. A bit of tweaking here and there of the 'concrete' track inlays was necessary to prevent loco wheels lifting above the rail head, and noting which locos ran better through the pointwork forwards or backwards is now written into the Special Working Instructions for the dock railway!

The obligatory 'bus on a bridge' gives added scale to the scene I think!

Could do with some more figures, especially in the street scene as it looks a bit bare, but I'll get round to that and the other remaining bits and bobs eventually . . . . .

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

I'm pleased to say that Broadhaven Docks performed very well on exhibition yesterday, with the Barclay saddle tank being a star performer, closely followed by the BP liveried Janus 0-6-0. Several interesting conversations were had with visitors and more than one expressed surprise that so much railway operation could be got into a very small space. At least one went away planning to do something similar and another even got his wife's blessing to build a small layout!

I think that there will be perhaps just one more update to this thread when I have re-finished the sea, after which I'm calling this layout 'done' and can move on to building the 0 gauge micro I've been hankering after for several years!

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, Booking Hall said:

I'm pleased to say that Broadhaven Docks performed very well on exhibition yesterday

Excellent. Glad you enjoyed it.

6 hours ago, Booking Hall said:

move on to building the 0 gauge micro I've been hankering after for several years!

Hopefully you will put a link on here to your new project so we can follow progress .

What a terrific interpretation of Paul Lunn’s plan - I do hope you decide to show this again, though; I couldn’t get up the road to Colne on Sunday due to a prior commitment to assist at a fundraising Xmas Fair, but would really like to see your layout in the flesh at some point.

Steve S

On 27/11/2023 at 22:51, SteveyDee68 said:

What a terrific interpretation of Paul Lunn’s plan - I do hope you decide to show this again, though; I couldn’t get up the road to Colne on Sunday due to a prior commitment to assist at a fundraising Xmas Fair, but would really like to see your layout in the flesh at some point.

Steve S

Thanks Steve, sorry you missed seeing it but if it gets any further invitations to show it I'll post here.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...