Soldering iron

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

I bought a selection of 10 tips of varying styles and sizes, should have bought I should have bought a second

The iron itself hasn't failed on mine it's the black plastic collar that holds the two parts together that's split -  it's held together with cable ties while the replacement arrives. Like I said though it's done a huge amount of work.

I've just scanned through this thread and can't see what the source or type of standed wire is. If it has been stripped from a communications or computer cable it very probably is CCA (copper coated aluminium) as suggested in a prev post.  If it is, keep the soldering iron and ditch the wire, it will not solder easily with our usual potions, if at all.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, steve W said:

I've just scanned through this thread and can't see what the source or type of standed wire is. If it has been stripped from a communications or computer cable it very probably is CCA (copper coated aluminium) as suggested in a prev post.  If it is, keep the soldering iron and ditch the wire, it will not solder easily with our usual potions, if at all.

From 4/5/20

"After that, no success at all.  Multi strand "modellers" wire - couldn't tin it!  Eventually managed to tin it.  Attach to rail as before?  No chance.  Cleaned the joint, tried flux, different solder, no joy.  Welcome to Frustration City, population - one."

So the multi strand is 'modellers wire', whatever that is! I agree with you, if it's copper coloured it's CCA, or plain aluminium. Either way, it's not fit for the purpose!

Be interesting to know the source of this 'modelling wire'.