paint equivalent chart

Hi all, 

Many moons ago I had a copy of a chart showing model paint manufacturer's products and their railway equivalents. Has anyone come across anything similar recently that's fairly up to date. I'm pretty badly colour-blind and I've just started modelling again after some time out and can't colour match on my own. 

I'm particularly interested in rolling stock colours during the Br Blue period. 

Edited by peak experience

6 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

There is an app called Hobby Color Converter that cover most of the major ranges but the actual colour "swatches" might be taken with a pinch of salt. It does list the equivalents though.

hi Ben, thank you for this but it seems i need something called 'play store' on my computer before i can download the app and I've searched for it and I don't have that on my PC. 

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

RAF Kinloss MRC are the best known source of the information  on non modelling paint equivalents

https://www.rafkinlossmrc.co.uk/

Thank you. That's highly useful for the halfords paints. I was looking for equivalents across all ranges. I generally model in 'n' gauge and paint with acrylics. 

Thanks all.

I maybe didn't make myself clear enough in my initial post. Many moons ago someone on the forum posted a chart that was a very extensive spreadsheet of model manufacturer's paints and their BR equivalents. It showed Humbrol/|Games Workshop/Vallejo/Tamiya/Halfords etc and their match to BR colours across all eras. 

I'm looking for a comprehensive list of equivalents for *all* paint ranges between rail colours for freight/departmental stock/passenger/NPCC stock/RTC/BR Blue locos/LL Locos/Stratford specials etc but I'd be especially pleased if I found just for Vallejo and Games Workshop paints as I can get a supply of those close to where I live.

10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Peter's Spares has the Humbrol equivalent number listed underneath the Lifecolor range of paints.

Mike.

Thanks Mike but I can't see the colours to begin with and the modelling equivalents are just numbered without any indication of their specific reference to BR Blue era rolling stock. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

It was comparable to this in the link below in pdf format with, in the first column, all BR colours such as early bauxite/late bauxite/buffer beam red/rail blue/diesel green/roof grey/early warning yellow/late warning yellow etc and in the next columns the names of the equivalent paints by different manufacturer.

https://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart.html#

10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Understood, there are various sites which list the Humbrol colours and numbers and could work backwards from them?

Mike.

I can't compare the colours in the first place Mike. I don't know the difference for instance between RTC red/bufferbeam red/royal mail red etc. So even if I looked at all the humbrol reds I probably couldn't tell the difference between those in their range yet alone compare them to BR colours. They all look the similar or the same. What I require is a name of a paint and it's equivalent BR colour i'e: Games Workshop 'Blood Red' = 'BR bufferbeam Red'

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, peak experience said:

I can't compare the colours in the first place Mike. I don't know the difference for instance between RTC red/bufferbeam red/royal mail red etc. So even if I looked at all the humbrol reds I probably couldn't tell the difference between those in their range yet alone compare them to BR colours. They all look the similar or the same. What I require is a name of a paint and it's equivalent BR colour i'e: Games Workshop 'Blood Red' = 'BR bufferbeam Red'

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you.

Taking your example, you know you need buffer beam red, so you look up its Humbrol/Phoenix or whichever reference number, say 098, and then look to see which other manufacturer's paint cross references in Peters Spares/Paint4models listings and you're safe. You don't need to "see" that the colour is correct.

Mike.

14 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you.

Taking your example, you know you need buffer beam red, so you look up its Humbrol/Phoenix or whichever reference number, say 098, and then look to see which other manufacturer's paint cross references in Peters Spares/Paint4models listings and you're safe. You don't need to "see" that the colour is correct.

Mike.

There are only a handful of BR colours in the life colour range so they are easy to compare and buy the equivalents (not in Vallejo or Games Workshop acrylics though which are my preferred paints) but for example there's no engineers olive or RTC red that I can see and I'd be looking to find something similar in the Vallejo or Games Workshop ranges and I've no way of telling. 

For example, for a Western roof, Phoenix recommends  Phoenix P114 and I can't find and have no way of knowing what's the nearest Games Workshop paint. Does this make sense? 

31 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Don't know if this might help;

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/about-us/downloads/humbrol-conversion-charts/

Mike, that's a good resource. Many Thanks. What I'd need next is a full chart with all the Humbrol colours that match all the colours British Rail used. i could cross reference then. 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, peak experience said:
42 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Don't know if this might help;

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/about-us/downloads/humbrol-conversion-charts/

Mike, that's a good resource. Many Thanks. What I'd need next is a full chart with all the Humbrol colours that match all the colours British Rail used. i could cross reference then. 

Here you go!

https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/paints/acrylic-rail-colours.html

Mike.