Dear all,

I’ll be demonstrating 3D printing again at the South Hants show at Admiral Lord Nelson’s School Portsmouth this Saturday 18 Nov. Do come along and say hello.

Also Modelstock - the new owner of ABS Fourmost - will have on sale there my new range of resin printed GWR scratch builders aids to building 1, and 3 plank wagons as well as N6 loco coal wagons.

Regards

Duncan

• Like 3

Some photos of completed late Victorian GWR narrow gauge wagons.

2FBC91A1-8C20-4AF0-A217-182DA72685DB.jpeg.796875014f07a195bed7aa6a52fceb02.jpeg

Here is a one plank wagon, early ribbed buffers, wooden brake shoes and curved brake lever, with a red oxide primer. 

EFDE581F-0454-45CC-A47A-7C94B7F4F3AA.jpeg.caa95b6f5a5003df982cc668ca5708e7.jpeg

This is an early 2 plank wagon with low sides and no doors. Again, with ribbed buffers, wooden brake shoes and curved brake lever.

Both are using ex-D&S etched w irons.

Duncan

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Some more wagon rolling off the 3D production line…

First off we have an undiagrammed GWR 3 plank wagon with fitched under frame, grease axleboxes and non reversible metal brake shoes:

9FAED4BA-7C00-4E48-9416-65CD65A0B709.jpeg.434108e62280d952a055249b1aa8f985.jpeg

Next, a GWR 3 plank with iron under frames:

83F37FAD-48D8-4DAD-9E3E-598371592410.jpeg.9eaca382d48a463afcb2d9886b9265ac.jpeg

And finally, a GWR early N6 loco coal wagon, again with grease axle boxes and non reversible brake shoes, but without the later side extension plates:

D5963A5D-8999-4063-AFF6-C0044E049AD0.jpeg.23c5605318fd85330809dcb12191b95b.jpeg

Buffers, brake gear and brake levers for all three by ABS - now available again from https://www.modelstock.co.uk , w-irons from MJT Dart Castings https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2299.php 

More to come!

D

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

What a nice suite. Good to see your prints turned into rolling wagons. I can imagine it must be tempting to just go on printing new stuff rather than completing them.

And thanks for the tip on the new supplier of ABS.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mikkel. I had to stop tinkering with the designs as I’m offering them for sale as scratch builder aids - they’re not complete kits as the purchaser can choose their own w-irons and variations of brake gear and buffers.

One of the biggest tinkering points has been caused by the ride height difference between MJT w-irons (which don’t need soldering, so I’ve recommended them in the 3D print instructions to try to make scratch building with these as simple as possible for a beginner) and my usual choice of D&S ones from the EMGS. The solution involves a 20thou plasticard packing piece to fill the inset area of the floor to accommodate the taller MJT w-irons. I hadn’t actually noticed a difference in ride heights in my initial test builds it was @Schooner who spotted it - basically he did what I said, with what I said rather than raid the spares box (which is what I do!) 

A good friend - the owner of Modelstock - will be listing them on his website.

Regards

Duncan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I can imagine it must be tempting to just go on printing new stuff rather than completing them.

That really struck a chord with me, Mikkel. 🙂

I think it is very enterprising of Duncan to take his designs through to completion.  I'd be interested to read about how he decides to draw the line between 3D-printed parts and what he buys in.  I suppose part of it is knowing what is available from the trade but there may be other factors as well.  I can see that running gear needs metal parts for reliability and there's the issue of weight too.

The finish on that iron coal wagon looks excellent and fully up to commercial standards.  I hope they sell well.

• Like 1

@MikeOxon Thanks for your comment and I hope they sell too!

Regarding your question as to what is being bought in and what is being printed it depends (a good historian’s answer I know). What generally guides me is one of two things. First, what are the things I normally replace when building kits - buffers, vac pipes etc, brakes and brake levers usually. I also normally use etched W-irons. The second factor is what is available that I’d use. So if there is something available I’d tend to say in the instructions you’ll need x type of buffers (or whatever) and you can get them from here or here. Certainly, @Schooner found this helpful rather than just saying source your own. 

If something isn’t available - like today I noticed that late BG  convertible wagons had round based tapered buffers but abs only do them with rectangular bases so that was a quick CAD design this afternoon - I’ll print it and include it in the box. So wooden shoed brake gear and curved levers get printed and included but straight levers and normal shoes are available from various sources so aren’t included.

I know others include more, but I’m conscious that a lot of us are set in our ways (for example I don’t spring wagons, but do compensate them - well mostly - so someone including sprung w-irons is not a selling point for me as I’d just replace them) and given the post production faff for some fiddly items only for them not to be used is a bit of a waste of resource.

Regards

Duncan

Today’s print is for a GWR standard gauge rounded ended 3 plank wagon. It has been finished with ABS non reversible brake shoes and lever, plus tapered buffers to represent a wagon around the turn of the century.

DE4DA4E8-3FCA-4DC4-8125-791D8B51B6EB.jpeg.d92778ba0cce37d705d2257d51ae2189.jpeg

It terms of livery this one will be in red with G.W.R at the right hand end.

Regards 

Duncan

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

At the undercoat/primer stage now are a pair of GWR broad gauge 3 plank convertible wagons.

The first is to lot osL345. The w irons are MJT bg ones, the buffer heads are MJT too, with the non reversible brake gear and lever from ABS (Modelstock). The body and buffer housings are 3D printed. The horse hook loop at the left hand end of the solebar is bent up from 0.3mm brass wire.

06D956A0-9A24-4A0E-ADDC-2C0119951E44.jpeg.f687a231d2518645ec05b48b50cf45ab.jpeg

The second one is to osL 369 - the only difference is instead of a horse hook loop the solebars have a series of rectangular holes with rounded corners. Again, as with the first wagon, w irons and buffers heads are MJT, brake gear ABS (Modelstock) and the body and buffer housings my own 3D prints. Incidentally, the tapered buffers have round bases not the later rectangular ones.

A5F5512A-87D1-4CCB-9E0C-D4A6BC714499.jpeg.0ecc166073a84bd3861579be0478cb34.jpeg

The big question now is how red to make the red livery and is BG red different from GWR narrow gauge red?

Regards

Duncan

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

50 minutes ago, drduncan said:

The big question now is how red to make the red livery and is BG red different from GWR narrow gauge red?

So, what's the answer?!

Wagons looking good as ever :)

I don't suppose there are any tilt wagons in your catalogue/to-do list? Think I've hit my quota for GWR opens, but a tilt doesn't count  Er, I mean, asking for a friend... 😇

20 minutes ago, Schooner said:

So, what's the answer?!

Wagons looking good as ever :)

I don't suppose there are any tilt wagons in your catalogue/to-do list? Think I've hit my quota for GWR opens, but a tilt doesn't count  Er, I mean, asking for a friend... 😇

Strange you should ask…

I’ve been collating information about the ex South Devon Railway iron bodied tilt wagons from the BG absorbed wagon stock book (to be found at the NRM - I photographed it a while ago) and there are a number that were converted to narrow gauge well before the end of BG in ‘92. Whether these tilt wagons are the same as the one I’ve got drawings for is another matter…

There was a discussion involving @MikeOxon a few years ago about narrow gauge tilts including a photo of possible SG/narrowed tilt, but the great server meltdown probably did it in. However Mike might still have the photo somewhere.

D

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Schooner said:

So, what's the answer?!.. 

Not a scooby at the moment. The discussion on GWR modelling has been more red oxide than red but I think the BG boys and girls are in favour of a proper red - a bit like you painted yours. 

The contemporary description is along the lines of a cheerful red, so I’m warming (sorry) to a brighter red like yours. 

D

• Round of applause 1

54 minutes ago, drduncan said:

a cheerful red

Most seasonal!

Yes, ignoring the specific tone the impression I got from the primary (-ish) sources referenced at the usual spots was that it was quite a popular/pleasant colour. Add in the near-infinite set of variables and I'm currently thinking that the most important thing is that it looks correct in the context of its layout. What, really, does the RAL matter? Took me a long while to take mine out of (bright!) red primer, very jolly it was too.

Re the tilt, yes I think I came across that thread of 2014 and Mike's blog post on his version just now, that's what set me off :) I really want more GWR stock but cannot justify them on the layout as it stands...so maybe if I just get one more very Western wagon...!

• Like 1

Today’s offerings are all GWR (I know, much a surprise) standard gauge 3 planks. All have use same add ons as the BG versions except the w irons are EMGS (ex D&S) rather than MJT.

First up is a round ended version with wooden under frame.

D185C09F-610F-4913-A089-500FE8EF7760.jpeg.b77ad17c9602d8bbca666cc2a8358b43.jpeg

Next is a round ended one with iron under frame.

2B109E64-0097-4931-A676-012D175282EA.jpeg.27276cc5480d80e511b61d2bc95916b0.jpeg

And last is a square ended version with iron under frames.

A3B8E21E-19F4-4432-ADF9-C68139DD0AA4.jpeg.de959532bd93a31869ff977caf31363d.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Duncan

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

19 hours ago, drduncan said:

There was a discussion involving @MikeOxon a few years ago about narrow gauge tilts including a photo of possible SG/narrowed tilt, but the great server meltdown probably did it in. However Mike might still have the photo somewhere.

I've restored the images - see my NG Tilt Wagon, followed by 'A Hat Box for Blanche'

Mike

Edited by MikeOxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more broad gauge convertible wagons; this time 4 plank ones. 
5C3A73D4-5046-49E4-BA08-2FF8E335DE53.jpeg.22672cdfd1f92414cbc68386321bf132.jpeg

There are two versions of this with differences on the non-brakes side. 

The first version has door stop springs on the solebar and banging plates on the door. 

3DBD4A4A-C668-4370-850D-0A5F62FAF808.jpeg.d97d28fdda10055d68c8bed071ea5415.jpeg

And the other doesn’t.

ACCE5182-4955-4DFD-A183-9E0A9901B253.jpeg.10d9cc92115ae1468563dfd079bb5661.jpeg

This is to allow for variations in the non braked side as photos of these wagons at the Swindon dump show 3 or 2 door bang plates and given GWR practice at the time it is also possible that some had none.

Finally , there is a wide planked SG 2 plank wagon fitted with reversible brake shoes but retaining the early curved brake lever and ribbed buffers.

1509933E-E146-4E3B-83E7-D92682B60E61.jpeg.e522d39f5bfd4757ce10dc9cd72ec764.jpeg

Regards,

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Excellent. I have yet to see a large GWR yard modelled only with red wagons. It's my ambition to do one, but you may get there first. In either case I look forward to it!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Excellent. I have yet to see a large GWR yard modelled only with red wagons. It's my ambition to do one, but you may get there first. In either case I look forward to it!

Thanks for the kind words @Mikkel but given the slow progress at Nampara don’t hold your breath! Besides, the goods facilities at Nampara aren’t big - at least the modelled but isn’t. If I ever do the New Quays extension that will give more siding space but I can’t see a way to do the engine shed and goods yard without serious revisions to the current plan.

D

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 3