On 15/12/2023 at 18:07, Schooner said:

Yes, ignoring the specific tone the impression I got from the primary (-ish) sources referenced at the usual spots was that it was quite a popular/pleasant colour. Add in the near-infinite set of variables and I'm currently thinking that the most important thing is that it looks correct in the context of its layout.

Wouldn't a near-infinite set of variables lead to near-infinite shades in the real thing? 

• Agree 1

Dear all,

Its January, so soon it will be the Southampton MRS Show at Barton Peveril College, Eastleigh on 27 & 28 Jan where I'll be demonstrating 3D printing and CAD (and showing off my prints, which co-incidentally will be available to purchase at the ABS Modelstock stand - who will also be at the show).

If you are planning to go to the Southampton show, do come by and say hello.

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So in amongst getting stuff ready for demonstrating at the Southampton MRS show next weekend, I’ve managed to make a little progress on the standard gauge E19/20 brake tricomposite.

853BDE1B-E62F-420E-B37F-7BBA45BF481E.jpeg.0ce755458922e96ada12a89934357b74.jpeg

The v hangers and queen posts have been added, then 0.3mm brass wire fitted for the truss rods. However, the long job was making the upper footboards out of 1x3mm brass angle  and filing slots for all the footboard supports and bogie scrolls. I think I might need to design and print a jig to make this easier when the design is made available to others…and for the rest of the E19/20s I want (a pair in pre1908 livery and a pair in post 1912 lake).

If you are at the Southampton show do come by and say hello!

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Duncan, I saw your list of 3D prints for sale on the GWR Modellers Facebook page. Congratulations on having got to this point. The range looks very interesting indeed, including seven different types of GWR 3-plank wagons!

The six-wheel coaches in preparation got me quite excited, as I have been planning such a train. Will be sure to put in a combined order when they're ready.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Duncan, I saw your list of 3D prints for sale on the GWR Modellers Facebook page. Congratulations on having got to this point. The range looks very interesting indeed, including seven different types of GWR 3-plank wagons!

The six-wheel coaches in preparation got me quite excited, as I have been planning such a train. Will be sure to put in a combined order when they're ready.

Mikkel,

Thank you for your kind words and support. This is the next opportunity/problem - the E19 brake tri-composite.

37671916-B01C-42C9-A5F7-C18E871090EA.jpeg.7ffb979d54089d8eed38b60facc7be0f.jpeg

Above is the Broad Gauge one, below the standard gauge one. 
A34E558F-FE05-4247-A724-67AD7539C61B.jpeg.7b62a2ad4f4daf2630e0bad3668f6336.jpeg

The hold up for this and the 6 wheelers is the post 1906 (ish) variants with information desperately needed on the gas piping and control arrangements for flat flame and incandescent lights on the roof and above all the end, as well as the layout of the automatic vac brake indication system that was fitted in and after the 1900s - the ears high up on the coach end that showed if the emergency chain had been pulled.

If you or anyone else have drawings or clear images that will speed development!

Regards,

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Pffft, who cares?!

Logging in to FB now, watch out wallet...

Me! The next project after I’ve finished scratching the broad gauge itch is to go back to the 1900 to 1914 period. 😁

D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drduncan said:

The first test print of the Dean 40ft L7 parcels van or M2 foreign mails van did not go to plan….

D1E4D498-F376-413E-AE35-CDCA7EE9AB4D.jpeg.43e98a11651b16b0da610c68d8d11090.jpeg

Duncan

Duncan

Congratulations, I think you are going to be inundated in the next little while.

can I Dm you with some new insight into supports etc.

Stephen

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Me!

Oooh alright then!

Catalogue looks v good indeed! Plan forming for when I'm next home... :)

Something which would make it even better, and help me choose, are drawing/build dates. Otherwise (as with the kits themselves, which I foynd absolutely top tier), all the info needed is right there, nice and clear. Well done!

Well, I've outed myself now on RMWEB (by kind permission of Andy York) as being a (sort of) purveyor of wagony things to the discerning or not 4mm scale modeller...

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

The next stage, having noted the flaws on the body and roof (which hopefully filtering the resin and a re-slice will fix) will be to assemble the (wait for it) massive list of 7 (!) components that go into the M2/L7 and check they all fit:

1 Body

1 Roof (might have to redesign it with separate oil lamps if they keep not printing...)

2 V hangers

1 Vac cylinder

2 6'4" Dean bogies... What a lot to put together. Ok, I'll have to add grab handles, end hand rails, and door handles, but that will be after painting - not that this test piece will get that far.

And it seems that I forgot rain strips on the roof too.

What I am pleased about is that the BG foot steps, which are only 0.5mm thick, came out.  I also printed a jig to allow the lower foot step to be easily cut to length and the cut outs for various projections from the bogie filed into it - after the faff of the SG E19 brass footboards (which look great but were time consuming) I had to come up with an easier solution. Unfortunately, it some how printed with 100% support density and I haven't yet been able to persuade it to part company from the supports...

The SG M2/L7 which is printing as I type (and seems to be taking its time about it compared to the BG one so I'll have to check that the new Chitubox 2.0 hasn't mangled the resin settings) has combined upper and lower footboards printed as separate components - they are delicate until cured but might work. 

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 22:18, drduncan said:

Well, I've outed myself now on RMWEB (by kind permission of Andy York) as being a (sort of) purveyor of wagony things to the discerning or not 4mm scale modeller...

Congratulations - I hope it goes well for you and you are not overwhelmed by the demand   3D-printing can be rather slow when you want to build in quantity so perhaps you should be thinking about a printer farm 🙂 - like the one Josef Prusa uses to make parts for his printers:

PrusaPrintFarm.jpg.24f982d8623c490a43d9ff0053347995.jpg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

Congratulations - I hope it goes well for you and you are not overwhelmed by the demand   3D-printing can be rather slow when you want to build in quantity so perhaps you should be thinking about a printer farm 🙂 - like the one Josef Prusa uses to make parts for his printers:

PrusaPrintFarm.jpg.24f982d8623c490a43d9ff0053347995.jpg

I wish....

Too little space and too little money at the moment to do that!

D

• Friendly/supportive 1

So I’ve finally managed to prise the footboard  jig off it’s supports.

The idea is that you can use it to quickly cut to length…

image.jpg.020744c75c2d4b848bbdd5d0222ba849.jpg

And then add the cut outs using the marks on the jig as a guide…

image.jpg.6622a0935b7a44166e88c861f872261b.jpg

And use it to position supports bent up from 0.3 or 0.5mm brass wire…

image.jpg.51e15ff0c86eaff71779338c424f07c9.jpg

Definitely going to do one of these for the 46 ft E19 and F1!

Duncan

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

Well, whilst waiting for ballast to dry, I worked on the Broad Gauge M2/L7 test piece. 
image.jpg.6f2539b50810e1c994d04fe8c10d06b4.jpg

The jig worked well but I think I need to open up the marks for the axle box cut outs to allow the bogie to swing. 

This was exacerbated by the lower footboards  supports mounting sockets being about 1mm too close to the coach centre line. I got round this by stepping the supports to move the footboard out. But it was bloody fiddly and not something I’m anxious to repeat. I think I can solve this by redesigning the jig and moving the holes for the support wire 1mm up the jig…

We shall see if the redesigned jig makes the other side easier!

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2024 at 13:15, drduncan said:

So I’ve finally managed to prise the footboard  jig off it’s supports.

The idea is that you can use it to quickly cut to length…

image.jpg.020744c75c2d4b848bbdd5d0222ba849.jpg

And then add the cut outs using the marks on the jig as a guide…

image.jpg.6622a0935b7a44166e88c861f872261b.jpg

And use it to position supports bent up from 0.3 or 0.5mm brass wire…

image.jpg.51e15ff0c86eaff71779338c424f07c9.jpg

Definitely going to do one of these for the 46 ft E19 and F1!

Duncan

Excellent idea!

The only disadvantage is that you'll only sell one per customer 🙂

Ah, but they are specific to a certain coach/wheelbase/bogie combination. The plan is that when the coach prints are released the jig is part of what comes in the box.

D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Duncan, I have been thinking about the coach glazing. If it is possible to source laser cut window glazing parts might it be possible to arrange a slight pocket on the inside of the coach to accept a slightly oversize bit of glazing plastic?

What thickness of glazing plastic would be your preference?

it struck me that very many coach windows are similar and large batch cutting to supply your customers could easily be viable using a commercial laser cut service.

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Duncan, I have been thinking about the coach glazing. If it is possible to source laser cut window glazing parts might it be possible to arrange a slight pocket on the inside of the coach to accept a slightly oversize bit of glazing plastic?

What thickness of glazing plastic would be your preference?

it struck me that very many coach windows are similar and large batch cutting to supply your customers could easily be viable using a commercial laser cut service.

Andy

Yes, I’d been thinking along similar lines. I intend to try printing windows in clear resin too, just to see what the results are like.

D

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1