Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

50s/60s Britain and Now

iL Dottore

15 hours ago, gordon s said:

Talking of rockets, there were the ones you part filled with water and then inserted a modified cycle pump. Bumped to your hearts connect until sudenly, whoosh this thing hurtled ito the sky, but soaked you on the process.

Penny bangers. How I've got all my fingers, God only knows...

Steam engines. The Mamod types with a meths burner.

Jetex planes.

We had something like that, the top of the "rocket" was blue and the bottom was clear, it was a bu@@er to fill up through the little hole at the bottom, even with the supplied funnel.  The pump had a sliding clip on it, you put the rocket on the pump and slid the clip over a flange on the rocket bottom, then pumped for what seemed like ages until a little safety valve let go, then you slid the clip back, the rocket went up about 30 ft and you got soaked by the water!

We also had the catapult-launched Fireball XL5 which went up a little way and came back on a parachute. Which then had to be carefully packed back into the body before the next flight.

Penny bangers were converted to tuppenny ones by wrapping sellotape around the body.  You could then explode an apple.  (Do not try this at home)

Also "airplanes" and rip-raps that seemed to follow you about.

Still have my Mamod stationary engines, my brother had the traction engine, which you could steer using a rod down the chimney to the front axel.

Jetex...  Planes? How about attaching one to a Triang conflat wagon....  They worked better with a Hornby Dublo conflat due to its cast chassis.  Experiment showed that the Triang version was too light. (another DNTTAH)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Hroth said:

We also had the catapult-launched Fireball XL5 which went up a little way and came back on a parachute. Which then had to be carefully packed back into the body before the next flight.

Oh wow! I wish I'd had one of those! Was Fireball Junior detachable?

41 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Jetex...  Planes? How about attaching one to a Triang conflat wagon....  They worked better with a Hornby Dublo conflat due to its cast chassis.  Experiment showed that the Triang version was too light. (another DNTTAH)

Let's race a Jetex wagon and a Turbo Car...

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ah, so I wasn't the only one to do that! My (grey) flat had the old Triang metal chassis but that still didn't keep it on the rails. I put it down to the track not being sufficiently straight and level  (well it was just short lengths of Series 3 straights laid direct on the garden path).

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

We had something like that, the top of the "rocket" was blue and the bottom was clear, it was a bu@@er to fill up through the little hole at the bottom, even with the supplied funnel.  The pump had a sliding clip on it, you put the rocket on the pump and slid the clip over a flange on the rocket bottom, then pumped for what seemed like ages until a little safety valve let go, then you slid the clip back, the rocket went up about 30 ft and you got soaked by the water!

Do you know for the life of me I can't recall what they were called. V2 seems to ring a bell somewhere. I've been and searched the web, but no luck yet. Loads of modern versions, but not the one you and I are talking about. 

Of course, I meant Jetex engines. Cylindrical solid brown fuel blocks around 1/2" diameter. Licence to burn yourself.

Penny bangers were for throwing at each other. 2d ones were for real damage....

....and then those folded jumping jacks which could go anywhere.

Folded cigaret packets clipped to the back forks of your bike to make a noise. I haven't changed.....:D

Frido footballs. The lightweight one which was great and the heavy one that would give you brain damage if you headed it.

Highlight of the year. The Christmas trip to Gamages to see their model railway.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Oh wow! I wish I'd had one of those! Was Fireball Junior detachable?

Let's race a Jetex wagon and a Turbo Car...

I had one of those and I seem to recall that Fireball junior did detatch and Steve Zodiak floated down on his own parachute.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Highlight of the year. The Christmas trip to Gamages to see their model railway.

Do you rememebr the Channel Tunnel one, with two transparent tubes running through a tank of water?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony Davis said:

I had one of those and I seem to recall that Fireball junior did detatch and Steve Zodiak floated down on his own parachute.

Fantastic stuff.

Makes me want to dig this out and sing along:

Fireball_XL5_front.jpg.3ec15bd655adb4ffa51080dfdd2b14ae.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Fantastic stuff.

Makes me want to dig this out and sing along:

Fireball_XL5_front.jpg.3ec15bd655adb4ffa51080dfdd2b14ae.jpg

I wish I was a Fireball out among the stars!

onourwayome

wife thinks I’ve been locked diwn too long and now need locking up

Edited by Tony Davis
Autocorrect was Auto incorrect
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Do you rememebr the Channel Tunnel one, with two transparent tubes running through a tank of water?

Strange answer I know, but possibly. I do recall seeing trains in plastic tubes, but hadn’t made the link to Gamages. The ones I remember were always Lionel 0 Gauge and then I’m sure it went to 00.

The catalogues could keep me ‘window shopping’ and dreaming for all year. We were always happy but lived very much within our means, so couldn’t afford such luxuries.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Strange answer I know, but possibly. I do recall seeing trains in plastic tubes, but hadn’t made the link to Gamages. The ones I remember were always Lionel 0 Gauge and then I’m sure it went to 00.

The catalogues could keep me ‘window shopping’ and dreaming for all year. We were always happy but lived very much within our means, so couldn’t afford such luxuries.

As far as I can recall it was Gamages, in 00. Probably Christmas 63 or 64ish.

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

5 hours ago, Tony Davis said:

Still got mine - made by a firm called 'Quercetti' - Italian, I think.

It's got a main parachute for XL5 itself, and indeed a little 'Steve Zodiac' with his own. A 'smooth' Fireball Junior is (I think) part of the main ship, but another, that slips over the main one is included that has four fins. For better performance?

About 12" long, comes complete with transfers to apply yourself.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

What about the submarines or frogmen which with a little dab of baking soda (I think) could be made to go up and down in a bottle of water.

The free gifts in cereal packets?

There's a website about those. Prepare to waste loads of time...

http://www.cerealoffers.com/

Jason

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

What about the submarines or frogmen which with a little dab of baking soda (I think) could be made to go up and down in a bottle of water.

I remember rather small ones that were packed in cereal boxes. They submerged quite well and surfaced (usually) somewhat slowly.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I vaguely remember something about a soap powered motor boat as well; you jammed a bit of old soap into a compartment open at the bottom and as the soap dissolved it moved the boat slowly through the water by jet action.  I may have dreamed or imagined this.  

I certainly remember the little baking powder submarines, red, green yellow, or blue plastic.  They'd be a brilliant first project for anyone with a 3D printer, better than those little canal barges.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As far as I can recall it was Gamages, in 00. Probably Christmas 63 or 64ish.

I used to be taken to Gamages every year for the Christmas display, starting around ‘58 when I was 5. Until the early ‘60s the trains were definitely Lionel 0, I clearly remember a silver diesel lettered for the “Lionel Lines”. The display then changed to the smaller scale around ‘63 but I have a feeling that Marklin HO was used, I have a memory of German black/red steam locos and track that looked like HD 3rail. There was also a roadway on the layout using the early Faller equipment with the road that looked like it had tramlines - the cars were Mercedes as I remember.

• Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The free gifts in cereal packets?

There's a website about those. Prepare to waste loads of time...

http://www.cerealoffers.com/

Jason

An ironic thanks, btw.......

We must have eaten Rice Krispies.

I've still got a copy of "The Wonders of Life on Earth"

And some of the dogs too (The corgi, the scottie, the setter)

Had, but no longer

The Cargo Boat

And, of course, the "Atomic" sub...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billy_anorak59 said:

Still got mine - made by a firm called 'Quercetti' - Italian, I think.

It's got a main parachute for XL5 itself, and indeed a little 'Steve Zodiac' with his own. A 'smooth' Fireball Junior is (I think) part of the main ship, but another, that slips over the main one is included that has four fins. For better performance?

About 12" long, comes complete with transfers to apply yourself.

If I remember correctly, the "smooth" Fireball Junior was the one that you launched, and the slip over was for playing with or display.

This has triggered another memory of Dad building me a plastic kit of Fireball XL5 that he got from saving coupons from a toothpaste company. Could be wrong about where the kit came from, it was a long time ago and it was FIREBALL XL5 so I wasn't that concerned about where he got it from.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

HEARTFELT PLEA......... Does anyone remember a type of sweet called firemens hoses? At least that's what we called them. They were long thin pink flexible tubes of chewable niceness! There was no filling in the tube, in fact it as as though the tube had been folde along its length and sealed somehow. Each hose was about 12" long and only about 1d I think. I have asked people many times both in person and one or two forums but no-one seems to remember them, so I'm desperate for someone to remember them as well. This was when I lived in Middlesex, so whether they only had a limited distribution or made by a small local company I have no idea, but if anyone can remember these I would be most relieved to know that I'm not going off my trolley.........I thank you....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Davis said:

If I remember correctly, the "smooth" Fireball Junior was the one that you launched, and the slip over was for playing with or display.

This has triggered another memory of Dad building me a plastic kit of Fireball XL5 that he got from saving coupons from a toothpaste company. Could be wrong about where the kit came from, it was a long time ago and it was FIREBALL XL5 so I wasn't that concerned about where he got it from.

I had a Fireball XL5 kit from the same source, AFAIK it was actually made by Rosebud Kitmaster.

I also had one of those Quercetti rockets, but it was a generic design (Missile “Tor” comes to mind). It only made a few flights before something critical gave way and that was that. Flights were very brief, it took a lot longer to find the nose cone that was jettisoned as the parachute opened!

I found my old Triang Arkitex building set recently, it was possible to build some fairly convincing post-war office blocks, albeit all of the same basic design. There was apparently a set for making blocks of flats, but I never saw one.

Triang Spot-On model vehicles were pretty impressive as I remember - all to the same scale (1/42) and with realistic paint jobs. I guess Dinky and Corgi were cheaper......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, exmoordave said:

HEARTFELT PLEA......... Does anyone remember a type of sweet called firemens hoses? At least that's what we called them. They were long thin pink flexible tubes of chewable niceness! There was no filling in the tube, in fact it as as though the tube had been folde along its length and sealed somehow.

Were they fluted and flattened at the ends where they were sealed?

42 minutes ago, exmoordave said:

They were long thin pink flexible tubes of chewable niceness! There was no filling in the tube, in fact it as as though the tube had been folde along its length and sealed somehow

A wide selection of offal was always available at the butchers; sure your mum wasn’t passing some of that off on you?

• Funny 8