The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Great Skype Interview Bookcase Cliché

luckymucklebackit

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Apparently many of the VC products allow you to change background, so people are appearing in various exotic locations...

We use Microsoft Teams for our work meetings - sadly the only special effect it seems to have is to blur out the background which has the side effect of making you look badly photoshopped. I might have to be creative with some props. 

If I can synchronise the sunshine with my meetings I might see if the wifi will stretch as far as the garden.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sharris said:

which has the side effect of making you look badly photoshopped

Some of us look badly photoshopped already, without recourse to image editing!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

I've been playing around with the backgrounds in Microsoft Teams, the best bit is being able to do "magic" tricks as you can make objects appear or disappear by picking them up.  I was quite impressed that the camera would not show my coffee mug on the desk in front (and slightly to the side) of me until I picked it up or touched it.

As for having a book case in the background, chance would be a fine thing in my small flat as the shelves are on the opposite wall to the sofa.  It would be nice to have a little study, after all they say that with a little study you can go far!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sharris said:

We use Microsoft Teams for our work meetings - sadly the only special effect it seems to have is to blur out the background which has the side effect of making you look badly photoshopped. I might have to be creative with some props. 

If I can synchronise the sunshine with my meetings I might see if the wifi will stretch as far as the garden.

Ours was like that until this week when a couple of outdoor and a selection of about 8 fairly generic "home study" backgrounds appeared.  I haven't seen the Minecraft one posted above, or any option to upload your own.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwin_m said:

Ours was like that until this week when a couple of outdoor and a selection of about 8 fairly generic "home study" backgrounds appeared.  I haven't seen the Minecraft one posted above, or any option to upload your own.  

Indeed, since posting this morning, I had a meeting this afternoon and we discovered the  option too - and spent half the meeting playing with the backgrounds! 

I have noticed a few poorly assembled IKEA units, the instructions tell you how to adjust the doors to get them straight.

I wonder if some use this stuff to enhance the background.

Did anyone see Matt Hancock's appearance before the Health Committee earlier?  No bookcase, but a rather tacky looking portrait of the Queen.

jh

I have enjoyed trying to read the titles of books on bookshelves in the background of television interviews. Interestingly (coincidence?) some people whose shows / perspectives I enjoy have some of the same books on their bookshelves that I do.

A late night comic has what I believe is the same book on the Seven Years War, and I see a lot of copies of Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln". 

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps they put highbrow books on the shelves to impress those who bother to look - the Viz annuals are carefully concealed before the interview starts.

• Agree 1

On 17/04/2020 at 13:06, johnlambert said:

I've been playing around with the backgrounds in Microsoft Teams, the best bit is being able to do "magic" tricks as you can make objects appear or disappear by picking them up.  I was quite impressed that the camera would not show my coffee mug on the desk in front (and slightly to the side) of me until I picked it up or touched it.

I was calling my boss earlier in the week and he was using one of the plain room backgrounds, I didn’t realise at first, until he rested his chin on his hand and the software cut a bite shaped section of his face out.

We normally have dress down Friday on payday week, but we decided to have dress up Friday this week for our daily team catchup. My (son’s) dragon hood and cape was judged best by a colleagues son

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 2

Lyse Doucet commented on this a couple of weeks back. ‘The Battle of the Bookshelves’ she said was quite distracting, the temptation to see what people were reading taking the mind away from what they were saying. I quite like looking at their books I have to say!

And yes, that portrait of The Queen that was commented on earlier, seen behind Matt Hancock, was truly dire. Whatever can he been thinking of? Or perhaps it was a bet....

Tony

16 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have enjoyed trying to read the titles of books on bookshelves in the background of television interviews. Interestingly (coincidence?) some people whose shows / perspectives I enjoy have some of the same books on their bookshelves that I do.

A late night comic has what I believe is the same book on the Seven Years War, and I see a lot of copies of Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln". 

Perhaps there's a stock shot of "brainy American books" that people can download for their Teams backgrounds?  

Going by some of the tv adverts for conferencing software, the thing to do would be to get participants to stand up and reveal if they are fully dressed, or just wearing a shirt and tie* something more or less formal on top for the meeting....

Could be good for a laugh?  :rofl:

* Non sexist language...

On 18/04/2020 at 12:45, Colin said:

Perhaps they put highbrow books on the shelves to impress those who bother to look - the Viz annuals are carefully concealed before the interview starts.

Personally I would be more inclined to vote for someone who does read Viz (and is proud of it) !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Personally I would be more inclined to vote for someone who does read Viz (and is proud of it) !

I didn't know that folk read Viz, I just thought they looked at the pictures!

19 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Perhaps there's a stock shot of "brainy American books" that people can download for their Teams backgrounds?  

I don't know about that (shades of Myles na Gopleen's of 'weathering' books to furnish a library, so that people don't need to read them..).

Edited by Fat Controller

22 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Lyse Doucet commented on this a couple of weeks back. ‘The Battle of the Bookshelves’ she said was quite distracting, the temptation to see what people were reading taking the mind away from what they were saying. I quite like looking at their books I have to say!

And yes, that portrait of The Queen that was commented on earlier, seen behind Matt Hancock, was truly dire. Whatever can he been thinking of? Or perhaps it was a bet....

Tony

My first thought was that it was an early proof of the artwork for a 'Sex Pistols' record...

• Funny 2

I find it interesting to see people without TV make up and the usual professional setting. Some look terrible while others manage very well. The other day Baroness Altman appeared with the mandatory bookcase background. I know her as Ros from the time when she provided me with a great deal of help regarding my pension. She was as always immaculately dressed with a pearl necklace and large earrings and the shot was composed and focused. Class will out, whatever the circumstances.

On the subject of the books. I know that there are a few people on here could manage a shelf full of their own works, but how about a competition for lesser mortals, to produce books that they have made a contribution to or at least are named in. I think I can manage five.

Bernard 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Alex TM said:

I didn't know that folk read Viz, I just thought they looked at the pictures!

I didn't know that Viz was still going- I used to read it over 25 years ago, and felt like they'd run out of new jokes then.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

how about a competition for lesser mortals, to produce books that they have made a contribution to or at least are named in

Hi again,

So far I have managed to avoid writing books or having my work published in a compilation of essays(I just don't think it's good enough or has a wide enough market for a publisher).  I usually get the job of proof reading other people's work though it can be truly difficult to tell someone that their book/essay makes no sense whatever or that it is 'so innovative' that there are libraries full of texts stating exactly the same thing as them.

[The bookshelves that usually feature in 'my' virtual meetings are ones that I actually need and use for work, even though they are mostly academic texts.]

Anonymity can be bliss!

Regards,

Alex.

25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I've been amused to see people who organize their bookshelves by the colour of the spines. (I'm not talking about things like big yellow slabs of National Geographic magazines either, but random topics.)

That reminds me of a young lad in my charity shop.

He was asked to sort out the books and get rid of the yellow ones and put them in the book recycling sack. He sorted them out into colours and removed the ones with yellow covers.

I meant the ones with yellowing pages that had gone a bit manky.... :laugh:

Jason

• Funny 6