O gauge conflat.

birdseyecircus

• 11 months later...
Just now, Beclawat said:

Just a quick question please - are the conflat containers available separately from the wagon? Nothing is listed on the Dapol site but I can't help but think that I've seen them for sale somewhere. TIA

Apologies, no sooner have I typed that question than a friend of mine has found a link to them!  But I have a further question - has a BR livery container ever been offered? The plain-ish Bauxite coloured one with "door to door" or "British Railways" lettering? TIA.

• RMweb Gold

Do you mean the black bufferbeam, for want of a better term? I must admit that I am more au fait with more modern stock but looking at some photos on-line it appears the bauxite should continue around the ends, with the black finishing lower down.

If this is the case, I will feed this back.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Electra said:

Do you mean the black bufferbeam, for want of a better term?

The top part of the buffer beam was actually part of the body so would be bauxite, with the lower part black.

I think the question being asked recently was are BR containers going to be sold separately? Rails are selling the older ones but not the later types.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

The top part of the buffer beam was actually part of the body so would be bauxite, with the lower part black.

I think the question being asked recently was are BR containers going to be sold separately? Rails are selling the older ones but not the later types.

Not sure about this to be honest - I would e-mail sales@Dapol.co.uk who should know.

12 hours ago, Captain Electra said:

Do you mean the black bufferbeam, for want of a better term? I must admit that I am more au fait with more modern stock but looking at some photos on-line it appears the bauxite should continue around the ends, with the black finishing lower down.

If this is the case, I will feed this back.

Exactly! There SHOULD be a physical definition between the thin strip of body and the bufferbeam below.

Body : bauxite; chassis / bufferbeam : black.

As in all model research; if in doubt, ask - someone will know.

CJI.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 14/12/2021 at 09:52, watfordtmc said:

It seems harder to find images of the early Swindon built diagram 1/061 and 1/062 BR conflats

There is a photo of B735695 in "The acquired wagons of British Railways vol 4" Larkin - undated but has a crimson container.

It has shorter 4 rib RCH buffers, which agrees with a comment in Rowland's appendix, and BR style W irons.

I've renumbered mine as an ex GWR build which I think is probably more appropriate.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

BR built 1/062 converted from the Dapol model. Buffers swapped with a van, W irons modified to BR, gap filed in the body and chain links from fusewire - I've left a couple off until I fit a container. Transfers were a mix of Clasp I found on eBay and @railtec-models numbers which Steve shrank slightly to match.

DSC_0010a.JPG.d272811cede19c86858f9e6079af6c4a.JPG

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

I’be reopened this post to draw attention to this month’s Backtrack - March 2024 - which contains an image of H10 W36690 (Ref 1).

W36690 was part of Lot 1494, delivered between February and April 1948 (Ref 2).

Judging by the image (Fig 61) in Ref 3 all these were delivered in full GW livery.   By the time 36690 was recorded, Oct 1961, it had evidently been repainted in BR livery and had been fitted with LNER pattern rectangular axle boxes - should you fancy customising your model!

The wagon is loaded with container A42B, a ply bodied container to BR diagram 3/002 built at Darlington in 1949 (Ref 2).

Trying to determine colours from shades of grey is probably foolish ...  but as the shade (of grey!) of the container matches that of the conflat body I would say A42B is now painted bauxite/ freight red rather than crimson.

References

1:  Backtrack March 2024, Vol 38 No 3 (Issue 395), p 173.  Image by David Murray-Smith.

2:  Wagons of the Early British Railways Era, Larkin D, Kestral Railway Books 2006.  Page 28 for brief discussion of container wagons; page 84 for listing of covered containers.

3:  A Pictorial Record of Great Western Wagons, Russell JH, Oxford Publishing Co, reprint 1975.  Page 34 for image of GW 36692.

Regards

TMc

29/02/2024

PS: Attached is the best capture I could get of the number

6B1A77ED-86C7-4ED0-B795-2D589DC67CCA.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, watfordtmc said:

I’be reopened this post to draw attention to this month’s Backtrack - March 2024 - which contains an image of H10 W36690 (Ref 1).

Excellent, I'll go and hunt that down If Smths have it.

I numbered my unmodified Dapol as a "W" in the end as despite photos seeming to be scarce, they must have far out-numbered the BR diagrams at least until production of the latter really ramped up from the mid/late 50s.

As a wider point although I can't get enough of the Ian Allen colour books for inspiration and details, a lot of the photos are actually from the early 60s (as colour film evolved) rather than late 50s and of course things were changing pretty quickly back then.

Edit. Also interesting about the axle boxes. Difficult to know what the right balance of variation is for late 50s!

Edited by Hal Nail

@Hal Nail My local Smith’s still has around 6 copies available - in fact these days I wonder who else buys it apart from me...

Next is due out on the 21st so you still have time to take a look at the current issue if you already done so.

Pondering your comment on axleboxes this afternoon, I took a look through David Larkin’s Acquired Wagons 5.

There about 80 images I thought relevant to your era of which 14 had BR axleboxes.

Regards

TMc

08/03/2024

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, watfordtmc said:

There about 80 images I thought relevant to your era of which 14 had BR axleboxes.

Thanks. I'd reckoned 2 or 3 out of 10 - which isn't far wrong

I did find the conflat pic. I noticed it also had ribbed buffers rather than the Dapol type, as well as those replacement axle boxes.