The Tyne dock Consett thread.

• RMweb Gold

I can recall reading somewhere that the traction motors on class 40's were modified at some point to reduce flashovers. The modified locos had a line painted underneath the number to indicate this. I'm not sure what the modification was, but I think it dates from the late 1960s.

By the way I picked up a copy of the Trains Annual 1964, which has an 11-page article on Tyne Dock - Consett trains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cracking photo, that. I'd always assumed those torpedo trains would have needed to be double-headed up there.

As an aside, what's that little loading conveyor down at the bottom of the fields?

Arp

I suppose it is being banked as well?

Remains of Ironstone mine to south and west of East Castle? Closed before the war, but maybe being re-worked to recover stone?

As an aside, what's that little loading conveyor down at the bottom of the fields?

Arp

Part of Eden/Leadgate colliery network. There was a rope worked and creeper system of narrow gauge surface railways linking the sharts/drifts here, (Old maps OS ref NZ 147 515) with the main Colliery/washer at Leadgate. (Old maps OS ref. NZ 132 520)  The area was recently opencast mined. (again)

You've seen the pics but plenty of pics on Flickr.

Oh and this. From a poor transparency.

post-508-0-76287500-1417785503.jpg

Do a fuller reply later. Busy at the moment.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 10

Smashing pic that. Not very often you get to see the plate mill power station & water supply cooling tower and oil tanks. I've yet to see a phot of the rail oil tanks being unloaded but there is film of the sidings on Youtube.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Quite frightening for me to realise I took this phot 26 years ago. For those that don't know the Consett area the Ladle Car is "parked" on the old Stanhope & Tyne formation in front of the Oil Tanks seen at right in the photo in post #236.

The girders are the crane supports of the Plate Mill. They stood on their own for years before eventual demolition.

Sticking 54°50'22.7"N 1°50'47.1"W into google maps should take anyone interested to the ladle car and what the area looks like now.

post-508-0-60794800-1417988898.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5

A couple more pics taken on the same day as above.

post-508-0-89011000-1417998241.jpg

post-508-0-82960300-1417998244.jpg

We've probably had a  link to this film earlier in the thread but I'll put it up again just so you can see those crane supports when new. Only 29 years separated the building of the plate mill and the taking of the photographs.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z_dAkn2RIJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P

Edit. Hmmmm. Seems like embedding you tube videos doesn't work for me.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 8

We've probably had a  link to this film earlier in the thread but I'll put it up again just so you can see those crane supports when new. Only 29 years separated the building of the plate mill and the taking of the photographs.

Thanks, very interesting video of the mill being built...

But watching it being built and to think just 20 years later it was all scrap... CRIMINAL!!!

Quite frightening to realise your photos are now older than the mill actually lasted

Thanks, very interesting video of the mill being built...

But watching it being built and to think just 20 years later it was all scrap... CRIMINAL!!!

A less popular, but more accurate assessment, would be 'inevitable'.

• 2 weeks later...

is this where the transformers are ?

Good to see you over here Dave - indeed it is and here they are.  What I didn't realise when I took the photos is that part of the Eden Colliery complex, an air shaft I believe, is still there further down the hill...

DSC00872.jpg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1

What I didn't realise when I took the photos is that part of the Eden Colliery complex, an air shaft I believe, is still there further down the hill...

The Shaft was capped years ago with some major remedial work being carried recently as part of the open cast mining in the area. This is the air lock door colliers walked through to access the shaft.

post-508-0-82803100-1420337011.jpg

The airlock was located to extreme left of the long low red brick building (with light coloured window surrounds) and led to the shaft top directly under the headgear wheels in this pic:

https://flic.kr/p/a57dSm

Probably one of the most extensively mined areas in the North East. That's why the transformer men have cap lamps.

Bantling Castle colliery and sidings lay directly south by only a few yards (I think it was called Sebastopol  locally[after the battle]) then East Castle Colliery came later it's shaft and sidings located only a couple of hundred yards to the East but to the North of the S&T.

The "hole" of the Pontop Pike area was a warren of collieries and wagonways.

P

Edited to turn a spelling mistake into a pun.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Good to see you over here Dave - indeed it is and here they are.  What I didn't realise when I took the photos is that part of the Eden Colliery complex, an air shaft I believe, is still there further down the hill...

DSC00872.jpg

Thanks John,very interesting blog.ive found a nation of stuff i didnt know about the line and surrounding area.im up in the beamish area tomorrow morning,having a bit rake about.

Amazing shots John i didnt know anything at all about this.Been up Beamish today and found 3 posts with signal cable pulley wheels on.I left them next to the trackbed if your up.I was going to take one but need some rope or something to drag it up near bridge.