30368's Workbench SR Loco's with a bit of LNER

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Good news Phil. A very good day, axle sideplay as requested. Coupling rods made up and fitted. The chassis runs silently and smoothly despite there being very little clearnce between coupling rods and crankpins. Very pleasing.

The two outer coupling rod holes are elongated as supplied so these were closed up be soldering a brass washer on the underside. Coupling rods in two halves. Balance weights fitted too.

IMG_8421.JPG.2d3ff323bb6fb0f59ddad34ef0b417e4.JPG

Ran first time very smoothly with no easing of crankpin holes in coupling rods. Jig assembly always worth the extra effort.

IMG_8420.JPG.3bfe2944aee65e8ec5f294aaacb4646b.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

I feel guilty now that I hadn't even started the Body and got that prepped. However that chassis looks splendid and isn't it great when the thing just runs well from first try!

Thank you.

P

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Reverted to the T6 build today - I have been busy connecting up the tender and finding spaces to insert chunks of lead in the T6 body and chassis. It is having the desired effect in that 681 can slip and then get away 3 coaches. The thing still needs a lot more lead to improve the very limited traction.

The lining on 681 is rather poor and incomplete. The first time that I have used a lining pen and it shows. I have asked if one of the fairly well known transfer suppliers can produce some bespoke lining transfers - we shall see.

IMG_8422.JPG.658d5ae1055fe1251c88c2d8eba3df43.JPG

Around 35 years development between these two prototypes.

IMG_8424.JPG.87d7566035725dedc5179eae442d8d42.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Reverted to the T6 build today - I have been busy connecting up the tender and finding spaces to insert chunks of lead in the T6 body and chassis. It is having the desired effect in that 681 can slip and then get away 3 coaches. The thing still needs a lot more lead to improve the very limited traction.

The lining on 681 is rather poor and incomplete. The first time that I have used a lining pen and it shows. I have asked if one of the fairly well known transfer suppliers can produce some bespoke lining transfers - we shall see.

IMG_8422.JPG.658d5ae1055fe1251c88c2d8eba3df43.JPG

Around 35 years development between these two prototypes.

IMG_8424.JPG.87d7566035725dedc5179eae442d8d42.JPG

Kind regards,

On another thread someone has suggested using some sort of substance called 'Bullfrog Snot' as a Traction Tyre for a Schools. Worth a try (on one wheel set...or both?) as it can be removed.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

On another thread someone has suggested using some sort of substance called 'Bullfrog Snot' as a Traction Tyre for a Schools. Worth a try (on one wheel set...or both?) as it can be removed.

Phil

Many thanks Phil - nice to know that our hobby is at the forefront of recycling, in this case, Bullfrog Snot. I hope we are not exploiting Lithobates catesbeiana as a result of this discovery?

Kind regards,

Richard

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 30368 said:

Many thanks Phil - nice to know that our hobby is at the forefront of recycling, in this case, Bullfrog Snot. I hope we are not exploiting Lithobates catesbeiana as a result of this discovery?

Kind regards,

Richard

No Amphibians were injured during the procedure.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Final look at T6 No. 681. It now carries enough lead to improve traction and is capable of lifting three coaches with little trouble. It is unlikely to be asked to pull much more!

Not one of my best builds but not too bad given where we started.

Yes the bogie is off the track accounting for that hound dog look.

IMG_8429.JPG.f48bf79a1eb29b961b7673f3447bce9c.JPG

IMG_8432.JPG.f6c283f0403f7d9f322ed6cd0fb16efe.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Definitely up at the back of the loco, you can get away with the loco being lower than the tender (springs sagging) but not this way round. Looks a good job otherwise though, I know what fun Jidenco kits are!

Thanks Michael, I can correct with washer adjustment and thanks for the comment, much appreciated. All being well will see you on Saturday at the Manchester show.

Kind regards,

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Back to Phil's U1 2-6-0.

Brake gear assembled and will be fitted in position after pick-ups fitted and painting completed. Also in picture are the two mounting bords for the pickups. I shall probably glue these to the removable brass chassis cover plate. This will facilitate maintenance of the pickups.

IMG_8434.JPG.249ccaad019ec40655277a6e2ae7b52f.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The pickup boards have now been fitted into place and trimmed to fit and then glued to the brass chassis cover plate which has been screwed into place. The chassis is now undergoing initial running in. It is very, very silent and the fairly large flywheel gives it a nice prototype like stop. Very pleased with this build so far.

The brake gear should fit in very easily.

IMG_8435.JPG.c5ce0e124a92c72fe52676ef9af53ca5.JPG

IMG_8436.JPG.3a78b3e59caf4ad3977335e6f22599c5.JPG

IMG_8437.JPG.ca25eb2283a09a15bcf788e6d2513e36.JPG

As mentioned above, it runs very smoothly although the gearing is low so this will not be a very fast loco but with all that weight should be able to pull 12 + coaches.

IMG_8439.JPG.912c3637d4ad0bd684ec9a8984dbc6d5.JPG

I now plan to partially dismantle and paint the frames and wheels.

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking neat and tidy there R. Good to know that the Motor etc is smooth. Very satisfying. Whoever had it b4 me must have used that mix before.

Always easier to move through a build from scratch, rather than have to sort out a previously part built thing like my H15. Looks like there will be plenty of space to stuff lead into the boiler as well? I would put a Decoder Base etc in the smoke box if you want to build to that idea? As an alternative I could stick it in the Tender and use a decent 'Connector' twixt Loco and Tender; not the 'orrible Hornby Plug in type.

Thank you again.

Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Oops, missed this bit: running speed no issue, as with that 10/11 on as mentioned and a recorded, Platform Stop at SJ in one of my sources, speed is not required with this Engine. Just a view of the 'Ugly bug' front end will be enough to make a satisfying pic!

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

speed is not required with this Engine

Phil,

It will be a little faster as it goes through its running in phase. As to adding lead, I'm not sure you will need to it will be very heavy anyway with massive frames and a white metal body. Lets see what it will pull when finished. There should be access, via the boiler cut away, to the smokebox for the decoder.

Richard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's update.

The frames and wheels are now painted and re-assembled and then checked that all is well with some track running. The cylinder castings are glued in position and the motion plate is ready for soldering into the frames. As is usually the case with DJH kits it all goes together well, so far....

A small extra addition from me - the shields over the brake block hanger upper pivot. The U1 has a solid slidebar and not the slotted version fitted to the U class and most LNER outside cylindered locomotives.

IMG_8441.JPG.d40eb0e60f2d1f396627893ff82a25ec.JPG

IMG_8442.JPG.6b2c50b52e98f094cfd3c02c95f43b5c.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Started to assemble the valve gear today. Firstly the connecting rods to the crossheads and slide bars. The crosshead casting needed careful cleaning up having large amounts of casting flash. Now that the cylinders have been partially assembled we start to see Phil's "ugly bug" front end.

IMG_8444.JPG.63985cd9a553bdfe96ff5cd0a1a9a460.JPG

IMG_8443.JPG.706a26007abc7ae608c0bdb0d81d706d.JPG

All the cylinder and crosshead parts ready for assembly. Note that I seem to have left in place a nib on the connecting rod big end oil reservior. This is intentional - there was a large cork stopper on top and the nib represents that.

IMG_8445.JPG.fcc9403888fbe1933bf1377d21e6b664.JPG

KInd regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Working on the connecting rods and crossheads today.

Firstly the main components. I have soldered an 0.8mm brass pin for the drop link/union link. A 14BA set screw has been soldered to each connecting rod to secure same to crosshead.

IMG_8446.JPG.1b5b00046781dc9c71f2246ae6a577dd.JPG

Connecting rod and crosshead temporarily assembled. Fortunately I noticed the not deliberate mistake. Yes the con rods are upside down.....

IMG_8447.JPG.c8a1befd7e6805193f91eb5124dce1dd.JPG

Connecting rods assembled and awaiting the rest of the valve gear. Assembly runs easily with no sticking points.

IMG_8448.JPG.82181c34a609296f59bf325c5afeabc4.JPG

IMG_8449.JPG.4e8b86a90a54bed7003814ba815ba900.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

PS

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Those Cylinders need to go to Weight Watchers.

They do look fat but they are smaller than those fitted to the U class, 16" instead of 19".

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

You've got the cylinders far too high, centre line should be horizontal and in line with the axle centres.

They are a bit too high Michael, about 2mm. However this is governed by the verticle slot in the frames and the corresponding "spigot" on the cylinder casting.  I was not too keen to chop it about since it is not my kit. Making it up for a friend. I will see what can be done. Always happy to take advice and guidance. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

They are a bit too high Michael, about 2mm. However this is governed by the verticle slot in the frames and the corresponding "spigot" on the cylinder casting.  I was not too keen to chop it about since it is not my kit. Making it up for a friend. I will see what can be done. Always happy to take advice and guidance. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Richard

I've had a shufty and Mike is correct Richard. There will be a large gap between Cylinder top and Footplate.

Do feel free to make an adjustment in some way. I've no problems with hacking!

Thanks

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I've had a shufty and Mike is correct Richard. There will be a large gap between Cylinder top and Footplate.

Do feel free to make an adjustment in some way. I've no problems with hacking!

Thanks

I agree that Michael is correct. The result will, as you said, creat a large gap between cylinder top and footplate valence. I will try to gently remove cylinders from mainframes (Glue buster), reduce the bottom of the spigot and then re-glue. Thanks for your agreement.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

It’s very important to get cylinders in line with axle centres (except in GW 2 cylinder locos), anything else just looks wrong.

I must admit I wouldn't have noticed Mike. However it really looks weird that the kit actually went together like this. I wouldn't have known had I been doing this.

I've never seen a U1 kit mentioned on RMWeb, so maybe it's not a common build? I know from someone's Kitbuilding posts, that The DJH S15 has a load of errors. Dave someone. I must have a poke if I can find his threads.

Phil

• Like 1