Portable Spray Booth

Has anyone got or used the fold away spray booth as sold under the Expo label, costs about £70 and comes with a small turntable?

If you have would you reccomend it and is it ok for spraying in the house (study)?

Thanks!

Looks to be quite a neat gizmo. BUT it still needs to be vented outside if using enamels or high-odour paints because I'm sure that blue-filter material doesn't get rid of the harmful volatiles and smell. I'll be interested to hear Andys' report.

Cheers

Gene

• RMweb Gold

I'll let you know after next weekend Neil as I'm picking one up at Aylesbury.

There's a quick overview on youtube by PeteScr who's hereabouts.

The scope of this Forum never ceases to amaze me! Quite a convincing demo of a v useful piece of kit. Andy Y's comments are awaited with interest!

Andy, thats the one! Nice one mate!tongue.gif

I had a look at one in Plymouth today, very clever design and fold up for easy storage.

Typical thing is tho I have just built one out of ply! Basically a 16" box with a lashed up cooker hood filter, bathroom extractor and vent hose to go out of the window. rolleyes.gif

It has to go back to the garage tho as its to big to store in the modelling room ###### study.

I am more than interested so look forward to a report on it!

I thought i could perhaps line it with paper or something to save the sides getting covered in paint and keeping it tidy, but no doubt it would go to rats after a few uses!

THANKS again Andy, what a top forum!!!biggrin.gif

N

I have been using one of these for a while now, and they are very good, but in my opinion still need to be vented outside. However this is quite an easy task with some flexible pipe and a suitable flange attached around the fan outlet in the rear of the unit. I used a plastic fitting from our local aquatic centre ( they sell them for pond filters ) and attached with silicone sealer.

An interesting note is that these are available for around £70 at the moment, but I have been advised by the Expo rep that they are going up to £89.00 shortly

When considering whether to purchase one of these booths, it would be wise to consider this. They are designed to allow things to be painted indoors, and indoors is usually a good source of small dust and fabric particles. Under normal circumstances, some dust and debris will fall on your model in the space of time between painting it and the paint drying sufficiently such that the dust does not adhere to the model.

A spray booth is designed to take the overspray away from the model and out through the filters. To do this, it draws air in from the surrounding area, and that air contains particles of dust. And because a relatively large amount of air is moved by the fan, quite a lot of dust is drawn into the booth - right across your wet model.

Not wishing to be a wet blanket, I discovered this some years ago and gave up using the booth. Instead, I spray my models outside where there is far less dust and little chance of inhaling the paint fumes. I realise that it is not always possible in all climates to do your painting outdoors, but even doing so indoors in front of a window is better in some respects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not had chance to blast it yet!

Folds out and back up very quickly; seems to have a good draw through it. Very neat.

Didn't you also borrow a Grass Master unit at Aylesbury - the mid boggles with thoughts of what you could do with the two together...

• RMweb Premium

Here is my portable spray booth. Just needs a windsock and I'm away off down the patent office. This particular one has 16tonner rust effect finish with BR crimson detailing.

post-153-127560538837_thumb.jpg

Easy to transport across many terrains too :D

Can i suggest an umbrella fixture to improve use in foul weather?

• RMweb Premium

Not wishing to be a wet blanket, I discovered this some years ago and gave up using the booth. Instead, I spray my models outside where there is far less dust and little chance of inhaling the paint fumes. I realise that it is not always possible in all climates to do your painting outdoors, but even doing so indoors in front of a window is better in some respects.

If you're lucky enough to have a modelling room then fitting it out with dust-free furnishings is the way to go e.g. lino or laminate flooring.

If you don't have that luxury then dusting the room with a damp cloth and then putting down some plastic dust sheets works well - I use supermarket own-brand/economy shower curtains as they're larger and less expensive than an equivalent sheet from the DIY stores and they're water proof.

Spraying outside has it's draw backs - I've had models left uncovered for a couple of minutes which have ended up with dust, pollen and even insects stuck to the paint. One fly ended up with a dusting of BR blue as it flew past.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

When spraying outside I pop the model in a box, or plant propogator as soon as the paint cloud has gone - i.e. after just a few seconds. That cuts down on stuck spiders etc. I leave the box in the sun [if available] so it dries quickly and I can crack on with another coat - the biggest risk leaving them in direct sun is more likely a melted model! Well this week anyway.

All,

I just made my own, its about 2' long and about 18" deep, with a twin fan (12 volt) at the back that vents through the wall (tumble dryer vent pipe with a flap thing on the out side), at the top it has a twin fluoro tube that came out of a traffic sign. for painting the object I made a turn table out of two bread boards with a Lazy Susan baring (from Squires). But I did fit a front door on it and vent it from the top and bottom. The top vent is behind the light fitting and the bottom ones are below the T/T.

The light also adds some heat to the box, so I can leave the object in it for a day or so after painting to let it dry with the light on.

It works for me, cost about £25. May be £35 tops. Use it on just about all my stuff.

OzzyO.

PS. not very portable as it is fixed to the outside wall.

So far no negatives for my Expo booths (I have two joined together) Far more efficient than Computer cooling fans in plastic boxes with hoses hanging out of windows, which I had before. Quiet in operation so usable in the small hours (with super quiet compressor) without waking the household. Neat self winding power cables. I do however make use of my own turntable as it is of a larger diameter than those provided.

• 5 months later...

First of all apologies for dragging up an old thread.

I have noticed that a few of you have recently bought Expo booths and I'm wondering how your getting on with them. The Expo unit I can afford now, anything else I'd have to save up for.

I need a spray booth as otherwise I'm having to spray outside which is just not practicle for most of the year, which is why I have a lot of half finished locos. I've been given permission to set up a portable booth in the spare bedroom as long as it can be stored away when not in use.

So, experiences please.

• RMweb Gold

The thing I've noticed is that I've been doing a lot more spraying since I got my Expo. In the old days I'd more or less shut down for the winter, since the conservatory was so cold. Now I can whip out the Expo, do a quick bit of spraying and get it all tidied away again very quickly. Rather than spraying being the entirety of a modeling session, it now becomes just one more small job that can be done in an evening, around other projects. I do think it's probably a good idea to keep wearing a mask, though.

It also makes tea, plays classic rock and tidies up my modelling desk when I'm out.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the other comments .

I'm very pleased with mine , I use it on the window sill with the window open to vent through , you might get a bit

of back spray if you work to close to the object being painted but certainly not as much as you would without it .

The filter does an excellant job of catching the spray mist so you dont get anything comng out from the fan into the room .

Archived