OO Gauge MBA's + MCA's out now!

DapolDave

The give away is the bit about "buffers are provided for those who want to convert to buffered versions" tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Yes I read that, but it says that as part of the list of features of the MBA not the MCA so thought i'd just check! :)

Thanks for the confirmation DapolDave.

What ever happened to the N gauge ones? These were announced alongside the OO ones, but then vanished, and now Bachmann have done them.

David

Perhaps thats the answer, a smaller market (excuse pun) meant no point Dapol doing n as they would have been 2nd past the post, but the bigger 00 markety and being 1st past the post gives them the advantage??

MCA/MDA are ballast wagons

MBA are used for aggregate, scrap, coal - they were used on timber traffic for a bit as well.

Thanks, not looked into Mba loads before seeing the pics tonight so was not sure what they would be used for. I now fancy a rake of these on stone traffic as the Jga are hard to find.

Perhaps thats the answer, a smaller market (excuse pun) meant no point Dapol doing n as they would have been 2nd past the post, but the bigger 00 markety and being 1st past the post gives them the advantage??

Thanks, not looked into Mba loads before seeing the pics tonight so was not sure what they would be used for. I now fancy a rake of these on stone traffic as the Jga are hard to find.

Have a look at some of the photos on Mike Cubberley's site:-

http://mike6874.fotopic.net/c821529_1.html

Though there are none of loaded MBAs, the weathering on the inside should give an indication of where the load comes up to when loaded with stone. It's some distance short of the top, as otherwise the wagons would gross out at about 130t.

Even when loaded with scrap metal, the load is some way short of the top of the wagon as this shot shows:-

http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/p14386072.html

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had an email from Hattons this morning - I ordered a (club) load last night - wondering if I knew they were on the way (they are expecting theirs today) :lol:

I pointed them at the Dapol website and here.

Hopefully I will get them in time to photograph on Widnes this weekend B)

• RMweb Gold

my local shop has them too. will take a peek tomorrow perhaps??

Just ordered the two limited editions Hattons have, just incase i do go for a rake!

Hattons also have an 'h' version which isnt even mentioned on the Dapol site .. they rang me up and asked if I wanted some of them too - rude not to really. ;)

yep, thats much better than the Dapol weathering i have seen. Will await photos of the Mba weathered version before ordering though!

That's always a wise/sensible thing.

What years were these Monsterbox wagons introduced, and what owners/operators and liveries have they seen ?

Regards, Michel

Is the Mba chassis suitable for any other type of wagon? Just wondering if like Bachmann /Hornby it will be used for other wagons or is it a one off?

I can't think of anything that Thrall built that was that long- there were meant to be some new steel-carriers for EWS, which might have used a similar underframe, but they were never built.

Brian

Suspect the chassis (such as it is) is bespoke.

Bogies were also used on the BRA/BYA, HTA and FCA wagons from Thrall, and have been retro-fitted to BAA/BBA and I suspect derivatives.

Michel, MBA were built new for EWS by Thrall in the late 90s (1998-ish?) - the final 100 of the 300 built were then cut down within a year or so of building (it's possible they didn't even enter traffic) to become MCA (with buffers) and MDA (no buffers)

The fleet has passed to DBS with no further changes apart from the loss of ladders at some stage.

• Like 1