OO Gauge MBA's + MCA's out now!

DapolDave

For something being used as a starting point I can understand the lack of concern about some parts of the accuracy. ? Or when there was nothing else available - I did up a rake of the Hornby TTAs (starting mainly with the cheap "trainset" yellow and red ones.) ? I don't think I would start there for the same thing now. ? 

Rather, I was trying to cover the using "as is" situation, which is presumably how the new wagons will be used. ?  It comes back to a preference for RTR manufacturers to get things right, rather than wrong.

(I assume with your example you also need to add the cost of the etched walkway, the transfers and your time?)

Cheers,

26power

Having been in that situation - if you want a twin walkway or other conversion and have bits in stock , it can be worth it. I reworked a new Railroad TTA - it happened to have the livery I needed and with a new data panel, etched walkway and reworked chassis the result was good. Cost ??3-50, as opposed to ??8 . By the time youve hacked the ends out for a bitumen tank (say) and resprayed the thing, the benefits of going Bachmann are starting to erode

Well alot of people will probably be happy with the wagons as they are, but for those who want something a bit more accurate looking well ok me then ;) , im more than happy to do some work, ive now filed the top of the wagon and removed the raised details to make it more "cast" looking, and the bogies look better now! I think just that and the missing "Plumbing" on the underside will more than suffice for me, as the side ribs look ok to me, even if theyre not 100% accurate

NL

Well alot of people will probably be happy with the wagons as they are, but for those who want something a bit more accurate looking well ok me then ;) , im more than happy to do some work, ive now filed the top of the wagon and removed the raised details to make it more "cast" looking, and the bogies look better now! I think just that and the missing "Plumbing" on the underside will more than suffice for me, as the side ribs look ok to me, even if theyre not 100% accurate

NL

any photos?

Hi Craig,

yes they are the same wagon, the most obvious differences are the bogies and the height, although the height is only obvious when the rakes are mixed and matched, a full rake of one or the other would be ok. Not sure which is correct though, don't assume it's the Hurst one.

I recall a comparison between the Hurst and Inter-City kits published in MRJ a couple of years ago which concuded that the Hurst kit was a bit short on overall height. That being the case (and I don't have the reference to hand, so I can't confirm it) the Dapol model may well be right.

Jim

Just to qualify what I wrote earlier, the actual reference is in MRJ 155 (December 2004). What Tim Shackleton wrote was that the body sides of the Hurst model were a scale 6" shorter than those on the Inter-City kit and he suggested adjusting the Hurst kit to ride slightly higher on its bogies to reduce the difference in height, if you were going to run the kits in mixed rakes. Later in the same article, in a comparsion of overall dimensions against those taken from a Thrall GA drawing, he quoted the overall height (in 4mm scale) as being 44mm for the prototype, 45mm for the Inter-City kit and 44mm for the Hurst kit after adjustment. I would infer from this that the height prior to adjustment is in the region of 43mm, in which case the Dapol model could be right.

Also, FWIW I quite like the colour. I don't think that EWS red is all that well-represented on RTR stock, for the most part. Certainly on most N-gauge models it may well be accurate based on colour chips or whatever, but reduced to 1:148 scale it generally looks too brown to my eye. That goes for both Farish and Dapol.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone noticed - on the S4 stand at Warley we (well Mike T was) were doing some improvements to these wagons, if you didn't then you will have to wait for the article :)

I did :D , nice work too, although I'll wait for the article as well. May I enquire as to which 'Tome' it will be gracing ??

Seems that there has been a resolution to the other part of the conversation too, DAS B).

Mike.

P.S.Tell MT to laook at the JNA shots in TOPS CODE JXX for some filth .. and I'll find more for him this week as promised. :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I did :D , nice work too, although I'll wait for the article as well. May I enquire as to which 'Tome' it will be gracing ??

Seems that there has been a resolution to the other part of the conversation too, DAS B).

Mike.

P.S.Tell MT to laook at the JNA shots in TOPS CODE JXX for some filth .. and I'll find more for him this week as promised. :lol:

Hi Mike,

Glad the resolution arrived - untouched by human hand ;)

It will be on here - rather than a mag I suspect, don't think Mr T has taken any pics :angry:

I will point him to your filthy shots :unsure: :)

Cheers - good to see you, sorry I got way laid talking about magazine articles B)

• 11 years later...

Hard to believe its been 11 years since this was last commented on!  Does anybody out there in the wild still have the Dapol Models?  Wasn't gonna bother with a rake of these as I had previously purchased a Bachmann MOA, but after doing some work on me Godsons rake if 4  I managed to get me on Ebay. Came with some Scale Buckeyes fitted (since replaced with some Kaydee No5 Draught boxes and long shank Buckeyes I had in me spares box) came fitted with P4 wheels. Luckily for me it also came with the original as well.  Done some weathering using Humbrol Rust and Brown washes with some panels repainted Railmatch EWS Maroon. Also used a little Humbrol matt 73 Burgundy with a little white mixed in to make the faded areas. Broken steps were replaced with staple bent up.  Quite enjoyed doing this work so will try and get some more. Also have a Dapol MBA on its way for my liitleman as it will be safer for him to handle.

20201202_150326.jpg

20201202_150320.jpg

20201202_150256.jpg

20201202_150250.jpg

20201202_150230.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1