More model ideas

22 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Pulled from the A/S on tour thread. May the froth commence

My thoughts for the 2 wagons would be:

1. Something that can cross over eras i.e. could run with say Manor and 37 to fit the range
  2. Something modern for the 92s

OR

1. Something unrelated and no one expected
  2. Something unrelated and no one expected (apart from that one modeller that wants a billion of them!)

Im hoping for some EWS / DB FCA's or some MLA's! That would certainly fill some gaps!

• Like 3

An LNER J6 0-6-0  - long lasting and wide ranging from London to Yorkshire and across to Manchester. A classic Edwardian design - used on the mainline, secondary routes and branches hauling freight trains and passenger trains and a favourite on engineers trains. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, richierich said:

Class 153 & 155 Super Sprinter

Class 185

Class 195

Yes please! Especially the 185. I think the CAF DMUs are getting all over the place they could be good ones to have a go at assuming theres some commonality in the work involved. Not sure how much that would translate into tooling mind you.

• Like 2

My favourite choice of steam outline model for Accurascale would be the GWR auto tanks, the 14xx/58xx. Both the ex Airfix/Hornby ones had issues and the DJ Models one was so poorly made (speaking from bitter experience) we could do with a much more definitive model.

This is one of those classic machines that would be very popular from a commercial perspective.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, paulbb said:

My favourite choice of steam outline model for Accurascale would be the GWR auto tanks, the 14xx/58xx. Both the ex Airfix/Hornby ones had issues and the DJ Models one was so poorly made (speaking from bitter experience) we could do with a much more definitive model.

This is one of those classic machines that would be very popular from a commercial perspective.

I hope that Rapido may do the 14xx, as part of filling out the Titfield Thunderbolt items. However, I've no idea if that is even in their thoughts, let alone actually likely to happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

An 0-4-0 industrial jackshaft-driven diesel from the post-war pre-1960 era is an open goal; Hornby’s Sentinels dare from the early 60s after the company was absorbed by RR, and the Bagnall & Andrew Barclay are lo-fi starter set items with poor detail snd performance.  Several prototypes are suitable for BR use, and, if the popularity of Hornby’s Rustons is any guide, there is a market.   These were often very distinctive looking and characterful little engines from a variety of makers, from a period in which the usual look of small diesel locomotives was still up in the air and had not settled, but from an aesthetic viewpoint the NBs and Fowlers appeal most!  IIRC BR had some with steam engine chimneys, YEs?

Edited by The Johnster

If we are talking old diesel shunters.

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM, BR version, NCB and other industrial users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_D2/7

You can even have bright yellow ones.

https://bristolharbourrailway.co.uk/2014/04/03/tbt-hudswell-clarke-d1171-western-pride/

No kits currently available so you aren't treading on the toes of one of the smaller kit suppliers (Mercian have discontinued their 4mm range).

There were also smaller four wheeled versions which were very distinctive and had the cute factor.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I hope that Rapido may do the 14xx, as part of filling out the Titfield Thunderbolt items. However, I've no idea if that is even in their thoughts, let alone actually likely to happen.

The old Airfix was pretty good for it’s time, until the plunger pickups gave out, but no cab detail and traction tyres are not acceptable nowadays.  Not much wrong with the body tooling, and it responds well to working up. Hornby are still producing it occasionally as a Railroad item, but with a redesigned chassis and new motor; this model gained a rep for poor running when it first came out but the mech is retooled on the most recent production and I am not aware of any bad press relating to these.  

The DJ/Hattons seems to be a bit too hit & miss in terms of running; some people acquire good ones and others not, on a pot luck basis.  Captain Kernow’s struggles with them are nearly as much of an epic as me and the wait for the Baccy 94xx!   The problem seems to have been the geared driving wheel design, with cosmetic coupling rods.  My view is that there is nowt wrong with this in principle and it was used for years without issue in Lima and Hornby diesel bogies, but it required more in the way of precision production engineering than DJ could reliably manage, and better results can be more easily and cheaply attained with conventional coupling rod drive.  

There seems to be an issue with distributing tractive weight on 0-4-2s, which impacts on reliable pickup unless the loco has full 3-point compensation, and the Airfix had a rigid 6-wheel chassis.  Many K’s kit 14xx are poor performers because of this.  The ideal RTR 0-4-2 has yet to be made, but a current tooling Airfix-derived Hornby Railroad is probably the least worst option.  

This means a possible opening for Accurascale, but a reliable good performer will need expensive production engineering, and a market response characterised by ‘how much!!?’, which will do the company’s vfm reputation no good, but we’ll still buy it*; railway modellers are by and large comfortably-off types who are inflation-proof.  

*I won’t, much as I like them; there were none at Tondu.  Now, a 2721 or 1854 half-cab pannier, or a 44xx, or a Collett 1938 31xx, or any out of A10, N, or TVR A20 auto trailers, or even an 850 pannier (one worked in a colliery at Ogmore Vale on the 50s, in a magnificently filthy and decrepit external state), and it’s a matter of ‘shut up and take my money’!

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

If we are talking old diesel shunters.

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM, BR version, NCB and other industrial users.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_D2/7

You can even have bright yellow ones.

https://bristolharbourrailway.co.uk/2014/04/03/tbt-hudswell-clarke-d1171-western-pride/

No kits currently available so you aren't treading on the toes of one of the smaller kit suppliers (Mercian have discontinued their 4mm range).

There were also smaller four wheeled versions which were very distinctive and had the cute factor.

Jason

Judith Edge do the beautifully fugly D2/1 North British dh, as produced with an incorrect outside frame chassis by Playcraft/Jouef in a hybrid 00/H0 3.9 mm/foot scale.  I’m in the process of working up one of these Jouefs for the colliery with a Nellie chassis block, a bit freelance but fun!  Needs smaller wheels, which will improve the slow running!

On 24/08/2022 at 04:48, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Having not bought the Dapol MRAs because I heard of the issues in relation to couplings and running I would really like some of these wagons.

TBH, I'd be surprised if AS can make new ones for the price the 2nd hand Dapol ones go on eBay for. They are complicated beasts in my opinion.

I have a rake of 10, I have fitted Hunt couplers in between the wagons (they do them specifically for these) and Bachmann wheelsets (the Dapol wheel flanges aren't tall enough to deal with some undulations it would seem). They are absolutely brilliant wagons IMO other than the two issues above. The only 3 ways I think Accurascale would help are:

Availability

Wheels

Couplers

In terms of fitted details etc. I don't think they need to be any better to be honest. I have absolutely zero plans to sell mine in the foreseeable!

• Like 2

On 15/09/2022 at 19:59, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Just another thought, what about the Network Rail Yellow HOBC wagons? I think they are coded YDA. 

I'd rather they did the HOBC, or pretty much any of the oddball bits of rolling stock that PWay have used over the years.

If you think the wagons are a bit complex, the new Mobile Maintenance Trains seem a bit simpler.

For the historic early BR era, we already have the Wickham trolleys from another manufacturer.

But how about something more intermediate - such as a Matisa Neptune ? 

Matisa 'Neptune' Track Recording Trolleys DX 90006 & DX 90007 at Walsall CCE Plant Depot. 1989.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The old Airfix was pretty good for it’s time, until the plunger pickups gave out, but no cab detail and traction tyres are not acceptable nowadays.  Not much wrong with the body tooling, and it responds well to working up. Hornby are still producing it occasionally as a Railroad item, but with a redesigned chassis and new motor; this model gained a rep for poor running when it first came out but the mech is retooled on the most recent production and I am not aware of any bad press relating to these.  

The DJ/Hattons seems to be a bit too hit & miss in terms of running; some people acquire good ones and others not, on a pot luck basis.  Captain Kernow’s struggles with them are nearly as much of an epic as me and the wait for the Baccy 94xx!   The problem seems to have been the geared driving wheel design, with cosmetic coupling rods.  My view is that there is nowt wrong with this in principle and it was used for years without issue in Lima and Hornby diesel bogies, but it required more in the way of precision production engineering than DJ could reliably manage, and better results can be more easily and cheaply attained with conventional coupling rod drive.  

There seems to be an issue with distributing tractive weight on 0-4-2s, which impacts on reliable pickup unless the loco has full 3-point compensation, and the Airfix had a rigid 6-wheel chassis.  Many K’s kit 14xx are poor performers because of this.  The ideal RTR 0-4-2 has yet to be made, but a current tooling Airfix-derived Hornby Railroad is probably the least worst option.  

This means a possible opening for Accurascale, but a reliable good performer will need expensive production engineering, and a market response characterised by ‘how much!!?’, which will do the company’s vfm reputation no good, but we’ll still buy it*; railway modellers are by and large comfortably-off types who are inflation-proof.  

*I won’t, much as I like them; there were none at Tondu.  Now, a 2721 or 1854 half-cab pannier, or a 44xx, or a Collett 1938 31xx, or any out of A10, N, or TVR A20 auto trailers, or even an 850 pannier (one worked in a colliery at Ogmore Vale on the 50s, in a magnificently filthy and decrepit external state), and it’s a matter of ‘shut up and take my money’!

Dapol produced the retooled the chassis for the ex-Airfix 14xx (much-improved drive chain and pick-ups) before selling it on to Hornby. I had to tame a very over-enthusiastic trailing-axle spring on mine. Having done so, it continues to give very good service. 

I don't think Hornby has done much more to it than I did, though they may use a different motor.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/10/2022 at 10:14, TomScrut said:

TBH, I'd be surprised if AS can make new ones for the price the 2nd hand Dapol ones go on eBay for. They are complicated beasts in my opinion.

I have a rake of 10, I have fitted Hunt couplers in between the wagons (they do them specifically for these) and Bachmann wheelsets (the Dapol wheel flanges aren't tall enough to deal with some undulations it would seem). They are absolutely brilliant wagons IMO other than the two issues above. The only 3 ways I think Accurascale would help are:

Availability

Wheels

Couplers

In terms of fitted details etc. I don't think they need to be any better to be honest. I have absolutely zero plans to sell mine in the foreseeable!

I also believe that their were at least one livery error on one of the liveries that Dapol produced the MRA in. 

I believe though that improved couplings, wheels, accurate production of liveries and availability, not to mention some of these sets now being refurbished and converted by Loram, Derby RTC, I think that these reasons are good enough to produce a new upgraded model. I didn’t buy these sets due to these issues, so I would suspect that I’m not alone in this and with these wagons in reality being refurbished and converted which will see them continue in use for years to come I certainly think this adds scope and potential for a new and improved model. 

I agree they are complex wagons but I think that if anyone can produce these either individually or as sets for a reasonable price it’s Accurascale. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I think that these reasons are good enough to produce a new upgraded model.

Yes, but on the other hand would a manufacturer want to go down that path given tooling already exists for it, or look at doing the new modular FEA-W wagons NR have just received? I expect the latter given it offers more bang for buck (only one wagon to tool instead of two, and can offer three modules on top), and would appeal to existing MRA owners. It would also offer wider appeal in that they won't be as rigid in their formations as MRAs (which typically go round in 5s, hence the Dapol pack)

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/10/2022 at 18:14, PieGuyRob said:

As the bi-centenary of the Rainhill trials is approaching, how about models of Cylopede, Perseverance, Novelty and Sans Pareil? Something a little different, and, an important part of railway history.

i think plenty of people would buy that for the working horse. I wonder if it would be fitted with a chaldron-compatible coupling, and where they would fix it.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

One new loco I would like to see would be the LSWR/SR/BR M7 0-4-4T.

The model Hornby has been making for the past 15-20 years holds up remarkably well, but it has become something of a "one-trick-pony". In recent times, they only seem to have produced the long-frame p/p variant with splasher-mounted sandboxes. Fair enough, that's what goes best with their Maunsell p/p coaches, but one wonders if they even still possess the tooling for anything more.

Lots of unfulfilled potential, for somebody.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1