Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

More model ideas

On 13/02/2023 at 20:32, GordonC said:

you make it sound like a huge gap in whats available. 13 locos in 2 completely different conversion types that have carried 1 livery each cant be particularly appealing on their own for the effort of tooling up

That is the whole point  Gordon. 

It is not about whether we think it is or isn't worth their investment. It is all about Accurascale and Rapido and the others making that choice using their funding model.  If the company think such a project will "wash it's face"  then I am confident they will do it.  You could argue the same case against most of the prototypes tackled by Heljan and KR models.  Of all the diesel prototypes produced I have a "Lion" which is relevant to my chosen area. I would have a 10800 but it is outside my time period so am currently resisting.  The point is though, if Heljan choose to do a one off "steam era" diesel loco which was neither a "big wheeler" a namer or even carried a pretty livery, neither was it particularly well travelled  and neither did it really last into the 1960s as anything other than a limited use test loco, then I am confident a 73/9 will appear in RTR form, and because Accurascale have produced the Mk5s there is a good marketing angle to be had. 

As I mentioned the GBRf liveried 73/9s has a reasonably regular six monthly visit to Merseyride on yellow trains, and some modellers love yellow trains because they are generally still loco powered, but are short and thus highly modellable.

Watch this space. 

Edited by Covkid
  • Agree 2

Froth tsunami warning but I wonder if it might be a special Accurascale Exclusive twin pack of two pre-tops, multiple fitted 50s as used on the accelerated pre electric Glasgow services.

Or we're due something Brush which could be a 60.  There again, the HST also had Brush involvement.

Wibble....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

According to comments on Facebook there will be a lot disappointed people if it isn’t a Class 60..!

And I'll be disappointed if it is! You can't please everyone. I guess the trick is to please enough so as to sell enough of the production run to turn a profit. You don't want a load of stock sitting on warehouse shelves tying up capital (and costing money if you rent your warehouse from a 3rd party like I suspect Accurascale do). Or even worse it sits so long you have to fire sale it out to retailers at rock bottom prices to try and claw back some money. Whatever it is I'm sure it will sell well. Accurascale seem to be very good at targeting the market and knowing what will sell. 

• Agree 4

On 14/02/2023 at 11:53, GordonC said:

I cant help thinking its a bit early for a 73/9 model - give them another 10 years and a few more livery variations or the wider 73s as a whole perhaps. Agreed NR Yellow stuff does tend to sell, As daft as it sounds, I'd think had the CS 73/9s been completely new build in a new bodyshell, that they could be more appealing to model, but when we're used to getting tooling created for all variations these days but for such low fleet numbers it must make it far more complicated.

On 14/02/2023 at 12:11, frobisher said:

AS could probably calculate to the nearest 5 how many CS Dellner fitted models someone could sell right now... The biggest sales opportunity for those is right now or the next 18 months, until CS reliveries.

Just returning to this for a minute "Frobisher", You are jumping to the conclusion that the market is based on people who have Accurascale Mk5 sleepers, but that is a completely different metric from that used by Hornby where there has to be a fairly large box collector market. How many people are likely to buy 73/9s simply to salt away, or place in display cabinets, or temporarily store then ebay at a profit. 

I reckon 73/9s of various designs will be produced in model form, but one thing I have just considered - AFAIK none of the CS locos have nameplates - nameplates can tend to influence individual purchases.      

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Just returning to this for a minute "Frobisher", You are jumping to the conclusion that the market is based on people who have Accurascale Mk5 sleepers, but that is a completely different metric from that used by Hornby where there has to be a fairly large box collector market.

The chances of Hornby producing a 73/9 ever are approximately zero, so Hornby metrics are completely irrelevant.  You're not dealing with the same kind of collector here.

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

How many people are likely to buy 73/9s simply to salt away, or place in display cabinets, or temporarily store then ebay at a profit. 

They are contained within the subset that did the same with the MK5 Sleepers. Prove me wrong.

10 hours ago, Covkid said:

Just returning to this for a minute "Frobisher", You are jumping to the conclusion that the market is based on people who have Accurascale Mk5 sleepers, but that is a completely different metric from that used by Hornby where there has to be a fairly large box collector market. How many people are likely to buy 73/9s simply to salt away, or place in display cabinets, or temporarily store then ebay at a profit. 

I reckon 73/9s of various designs will be produced in model form, but one thing I have just considered - AFAIK none of the CS locos have nameplates - nameplates can tend to influence individual purchases.      

I wouldn't think Accurascale will have quite the same buying demographic of nostaligic, probably fairly steam-centric buyers of Hornby.

I wonder whether locos used primarily on sleeper trains would have an effect on how many would sell - probably less easy to ride behind, more hours used in darkness. On the other hand there are a limited number of loco-hauled trains, Scottish prototypes are often popular and there are already Mk5 stock for them to haul as a complete train.

• Agree 2

On 19/02/2023 at 09:37, Covkid said:

23 hours ago, frobisher said:

The chances of Hornby producing a 73/9 ever are approximately zero, so Hornby metrics are completely irrelevant.  You're not dealing with the same kind of collector here.

They are contained within the subset that did the same with the MK5 Sleepers. Prove me wrong.

I am tempted to agree in some degree "Frobisher"  but Hornby have the class 73 body and chassis and have form for printing detail onto bodies where they might screw a little extra out of a tooling.  Who is to say Margate would not either print the 73/9 detail onto the ex Lima 73  moulding, or even produce a new bodyshell to go on he existing mechanism ?

13 hours ago, GordonC said:

I wouldn't think Accurascale will have quite the same buying demographic of nostalgic, probably fairly steam-centric buyers of Hornby.

I wonder whether locos used primarily on sleeper trains would have an effect on how many would sell - probably less easy to ride behind, more hours used in darkness. On the other hand there are a limited number of loco-hauled trains, Scottish prototypes are often popular and there are already Mk5 stock for them to haul as a complete train.

To an extent Gordon, I agree Accurascale don't currently enjoy the same customer demographic as Hornby, but who is to say what will happen in just two or three years time - particularly as the company has only recently celebrated it's fifth anniversary.  Stuff is happening in the model trade these days which few could have predicted. Those lovely Welsh narrow gauge models will spearhead many a narrow gauge layout, but also huge collections, dioramas and animated displays. 

Your point about the fairly steam centric buyers of Hornby models - IMHO cannot last. How many teenage kids born in the last ten years will be interested in buying steam based models in 30 years time - like we have done ?  IMHO people buying model trains tend to buy stuff they have a connection with - either by area or by era. So while Gresley pacifics and pullman cars are still quite marketable here in 2023 - will the "Flying Scotsman and Mallard" bubble have reached it;s ultimate marketplace in less than ten years from now ? The CS class 73/9 on the other hand will still be running it's distinctive sleeping car trains through the beautiful Scottish highlands for many more years in a very tangible way    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2023 at 16:51, wombatofludham said:

Froth tsunami warning but I wonder if it might be a special Accurascale Exclusive twin pack of two pre-tops, multiple fitted 50s as used on the accelerated pre electric Glasgow services.

Nice idea, but can you imagine how big the box would be?!

• Funny 4

10 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

HST is a shout...

I think it's only a matter of time before somebody does one.

11 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Personally I am thinking 66... 

2 years ago I'd have said are you having a laugh but given Hattons have gone quiet I think there's a hole to fill. Especially as it's a while since Bachmann have done a run, and I think Hornby might do one in the next year or two to the same standard the TT one looks to be.

12 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Also rans, GBRF 50s as limited edition pack. Or Accurascale class 47 for shove-duff... 

GBRF 50s I expect will happen at some point, but I'd be amazed if a 47 turned up with the existing Bachmann one and the Heljan one on the way.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Especially as it's a while since Bachmann have done a run

Only think I would say to that is watch this space for a Bachmann release. Common practice for an old tooling to be rested for a few years before a new tooling comes out to avoid sales from each tool cannibalising each other.

26 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

HST is a shout...

Personally I am thinking 66... 

Also rans, GBRF 50s as limited edition pack. Or Accurascale class 47 for shove-duff... 

If they're talking about new loco, I'm sure it wont just be a tooling or livery variation on something already known about.

HST power cars could be possible and fantastic!

1 minute ago, GordonC said:

If they're talking about new loco, I'm sure it wont just be a tooling or livery variation on something already known about.

HST power cars could be possible and fantastic!

I think the AC guys have said numerous times they would like to do it but it would be a couple of years away! It would be great though! 

22 minutes ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

oo GWR Castle class loco .Long overdue.   Halls Manors Granges ( & in the case of Halls & Manors both have had re-tools ). but the flagship GWR castle desperately needs the Accurascale touch HINT HINT

I think we could be in for a steam loco for two reason, 1 they only have one in the range at the moment and 2 that 1 is about to be released. But I don't think that it'll be a GWR Castle, the Hornby one is definitely one of their better toolings and there's other things more deserving/have older tooling. I do think the announcement at Model Rail Scotland could likely mean it'll be a prototype associated with Scotland. So a WD 2-10-0 (as a hauler for their rolling stock) might be a good bet or something like the LNER K4, D40, D34. If I had to have a bet on it I'd say the 2-10-0 as it's a match for the rolling stock they produce.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Karl said:

I think we could be in for a steam loco for two reason, 1 they only have one in the range at the moment and 2 that 1 is about to be released. But I don't think that it'll be a GWR Castle, the Hornby one is definitely one of their better toolings and there's other things more deserving/have older tooling. I do think the announcement at Model Rail Scotland could likely mean it'll be a prototype associated with Scotland. So a WD 2-10-0 (as a hauler for their rolling stock) might be a good bet or something like the LNER K4, D40, D34. If I had to have a bet on it I'd say the 2-10-0 as it's a match for the rolling stock they produce.

B1? - a lot of them built by North British, Glasgow.... 

Edited by The Black Hat

21 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Only think I would say to that is watch this space for a Bachmann release. Common practice for an old tooling to be rested for a few years before a new tooling comes out to avoid sales from each tool cannibalising each other.

Yeah, and if another competitor turned up I expect they would too. Remember when they knocked about £30 off theirs and did a load when Hattons made theirs?

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Think your right as I can't see Bachmann letting that workhorse drop from their range and think they would kick back over someone on that patch. Yes Hattons did one, but I dont think Accurascale are scared of anyone or any range. Hence the class 47 suggestion if its already too far down the route of being done. 

Darkhorse for anyone? How about a DCC Voyager - as they go to Glasgow... personally, think that would be the smartest move. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

GBRF 50s I expect will happen at some point, but I'd be amazed if a 47 turned up with the existing Bachmann one and the Heljan one on the way.

Never say never. A 47 is one of the few prototypes that can easily sustain multiple models. So many liveries and variations. Even if Accurascale do an initial release of 20 like the deltic they could easily make 20 that have never been offered RTR before. Plus if it’s priced similar to the 37 it will beat Bachmann’s offering. 

• Agree 1