Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

More model ideas

• RMweb Premium
On 26/06/2023 at 23:55, BritishRail60062 said:

Also as for the Class 73/9's. I don't know those too well, so I would assume they would be used on the Scottish highlands based layouts only? 

As others have said, they are quite widely travelled. Caledonian Sleeper examples are mostly Scottish based but I have seen them go through Newcastle light engine a few times. The GBRF and NR ones are very well travelled, mostly on southern metals but have certainly been spotted much further afield. You also generally need 2 of them!

1 hour ago, E100 said:

As others have said, they are quite widely travelled. Caledonian Sleeper examples are mostly Scottish based but I have seen them go through Newcastle light engine a few times. The GBRF and NR ones are very well travelled, mostly on southern metals but have certainly been spotted much further afield. You also generally need 2 of them!

There’s certainly a demand for them. The question, from a manufacturer’s point of view, is whether the demand is big enough to make them viable. That they were announced, then cancelled, must make manufacturers reluctant to take the plunge. The same applied to the Class 74, which was cancelled due to insufficient take up. My trouble is that something which hasn’t been produced RTR before only has to be dangled in front of me to make me to want it. I want a 74 but I think the chance is low. All due respect to Silver Fox but I’d like something a little better.

Inidentally, many thanks to Kernow, I didn’t loose on the 74. I converted the refund into an order for the steam railmotor.

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Would be fun programming the DCC so each of the twelve door pairs on a six car train operate independently ..... maybe the guard's swing door too !

I’ve probably got this wrong but wasn’t the 303 one of first trains to have automatic sliding doors? If so then would be totally appropriate for the model to be first to have them…

either way I’d have a few depending on livery choices.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Budgie said:

When will someone produce opening doors on models? Not hinged doors, but sliding doors. Here's a model sold in France by REE Modèles with operating sliding doors:

https://www.facebook.com/little.spigaou/videos/600543195549635?idorvanity=1695643574040417

I'd love Accurascale to do a 314 (and the similar cousins) with working opening doors.

The doors were quite a noticeable feature on these units, where all the (platform side) doors would open even if nobody got on/off. This makes it perfect for model form.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Matt said:

I’ve probably got this wrong but wasn’t the 303 one of first trains to have automatic sliding doors? If so then would be totally appropriate for the model to be first to have them…

either way I’d have a few depending on livery choices.

Not by a long way.  WikiP tells me that London Underground 'Standard Stock' tube trains had them in the 1920s and I don't think they were new then.

3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Not by a long way.  WikiP tells me that London Underground 'Standard Stock' tube trains had them in the 1920s and I don't think they were new then.

I guess I was right then when I said “I’ve probably got this wrong…”

thanks for info - there was something special about the doors though - maybe was just that most other trains being built at same time had slam doors?

edit according to wiki they were only mk1 based emus to feature pneumatic sliding doors. That was distinction.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Matt said:

I guess I was right then when I said “I’ve probably got this wrong…”

thanks for info - there was something special about the doors though - maybe was just that most other trains being built at same time had slam doors?

edit according to wiki they were only mk1 based emus to feature pneumatic sliding doors. That was distinction.

Both the LMS and the LNER were building sliding door EMU stock prior to nationalisation, but thereafter design largely reverted to slam doors, possibly under the influence of Eastleigh.  Only with the 4 PEP-derived series like the 314 mentioned above did sliding doors become general again.

If Accurascale decide to make some Tyneside units to go with the NER hoppers, they had the best of both worlds - manually operated sliding doors, often left open to provide ventilation during the warmer months of the year between January and December.

• Like 1

After seeing the latest pictures of the Manors, I eagerly await the announcement of your forthcoming Princess Royal Class.  If you like I can make the announcement for you. Just say when :)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2023 at 13:37, tinsley-toton said:

Class 40 could also have opening roof panels for the decoder, photo by Ron Watson Jones (who had nothing to do with painting on names of locos in the early 80s 😉)

But if you put the chip there, you wouldn't be able to have working valve rockers.  Or are we leaving them until the new new 40 people will be demanding next year?  Or is that the one with operating driver's tea mug and the working valve rockers come after that?  I get so confused.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

But if you put the chip there, you wouldn't be able to have working valve rockers.  Or are we leaving them until the new new 40 people will be demanding next year?  Or is that the one with operating driver's tea mug and the working valve rockers come after that?  I get so confused.

Working rocker valves or not 😁 as long as it looked something like the attached picture 👍 (Yes, I do realise it's become tedious requesting a 40)

Capturermweb.JPG

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, tinsley-toton said:

Working rocker valves or not 😁 as long as it looked something like the attached picture 👍 (Yes, I do realise it's become tedious requesting a 40)

Capturermweb.JPG

Not as tedious as requesting a 313/314/315/507/508 emu.  Complete void in the market - a 70s /80s emu .  While Bachmann produce class 40s 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Not as tedious as requesting a 313/314/315/507/508 emu.  Complete void in the market - a 70s /80s emu .  While Bachmann produce class 40s 

AM series EMUs are another void and commonplace where and when I grew up. Bachmann’s 40s are as dated as its old 37 and there would appear to be quite a demand for an updated one from any manufacturer, even KR if it’s any good. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

17 hours ago, tinsley-toton said:

Capturermweb.JPG

Keep at them, wear them down. I’m not particularly bothered about a 40 but I’m keeping pushing for an 88. 😉

• Agree 1

On 01/07/2023 at 06:59, E100 said:

The GBRf "Southern" 73/9s do mostly trundle round Kent and Sussex mostly  but I believe that on an occasional but planned basis a pair of them tootle up to Derby, marshall up a  "yellow" train and head for Merseyside. Credit to Simon Bendall and Hattons for this handy linked synopsis of the 73/9s and a fascination version of 73962 before it had the GBRf livery treatment.

Electro-Diesels for the 21st Century - Hattons Model Railways

The issue from the manufacturer perspective is that Hornby and Dapol already have the class 73/0-2 in their catalogue and could reasonably easy produce a 73/9 bodyshell to go on the existing mechanism, or a retooled chassis unit.  However I do not believe Accurascale would be unduly deterred by this, and would go ahead and produce the 73/9 (or any other variant) if they chose.   

On 01/07/2023 at 09:00, No Decorum said:

There’s certainly a demand for them. The question, from a manufacturer’s point of view, is whether the demand is big enough to make them viable. That they were announced, then cancelled, must make manufacturers reluctant to take the plunge. The same applied to the Class 74, which was cancelled due to insufficient take up. My trouble is that something which hasn’t been produced RTR before only has to be dangled in front of me to make me to want it. I want a 74 but I think the chance is low. All due respect to Silver Fox but I’d like something a little better.

Inidentally, many thanks to Kernow, I didn’t loose on the 74. I converted the refund into an order for the steam railmotor.

I still believe the 74 will come. Just no idea when.  If Accurascale were minded to they would, but the model was blighted by the DJM > Hornby "silky battle" a  few years ago,  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol 73/0-2 could be improved upon a fair bit, especially in terms of DCC, so it's not unreasonable to think that whilst the project would start with the 73/9 it could progress to cover the earlier variants. That being said the changes are similar to the 56 / 69 conversion and therefore the current reasons that Bachmann / Cavalex aren't making any noises about expanding in each other's direction would be relevant in this case.

On 27/06/2023 at 16:14, tinsley-toton said:

And some bloke on the roof with a hammer in hand, these pics are of 40143 at Llandudno Junction 40 years ago today.

Screenshot_20230627-161111_Facebook.jpg

What a rare and unusual photo, you could never find a Fitter at the Junction unless you rang the Crosville Club….😏😂

143 seemed to work the Amlwchs or the Mostyn Sulphur solid around this time…

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Islesy said:

I'm not sure I follow your meaning here @Covkid?

IIRC Dave Jones  announced the DJM class 74 as the follow on from the class 71. As he was progressing very weil with his class 71 he even offered a charity event at Barrow Hill where he was going to fund the repainting of the 71 into BR blue. AIUI that promise never happened.

Then "nasty old" Hornby came along and totally usurped poor old Dave Jones and his offering, and the rest as they say is history.  Had Hornby not developed their class 71 we may well have (eventually) seen the RTR class 74 - or would we ? Hmmmm maybe not. 

So perhaps one of the many many things Accurascale could look at is the "Night ferry range and the class 71 and 74, although I appreciate the 74 was a "Sou West" Div loco and not really in any way connected with the Night Ferry.  Of absolutely no interest to me I hasten to add. 

Edited by Covkid

16 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Then "nasty old" Hornby came along and totally usurped poor old Dave Jones and his offering, and the rest as they say is history.  Had Hornby not developed their class 71 we may well have (eventually) seen the RTR class 74 - or would we ? Hmmmm maybe not. 

Hi,

I don't believe that cancellation of the Class 74 was anything to do with Hornby bringing a Class 71 out, it was from what i gathered at the time, a lack of funds on DJMs part and a slightly lack luster interest in orders.

You could connect the Hornby 71 to lack of interest in a 74, but I think that would be a very small connection rather than the overwhelming reason for it.

Simon

• Agree 4