Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Alex,

It's funny, back in the day I didn't take any interest in the old DMUs but now I quite like some of them, and any layout has to have at least a few.

I may even power up the Lima class 47 with a Bachmann chassis at some point.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter, funny me neither! Used to venture out on 101s and 105s which at the time didn’t excite me at all. Even seeing them didn’t interest me, whereas now I quite fancy a model 101 or a 105!

Go for it, it would be a shame for her not to be able to move under her own power!

Thanks Alex,

It's funny, back in the day I didn't take any interest in the old DMUs but now I quite like some of them, and any layout has to have at least a few.

I may even power up the Lima class 47 with a Bachmann chassis at some point.

Cheers Peter.

Same for me... DMUs were everywhere and like most people I was only interested in loco hauled services. I lived in Hull for over 5 years and took 1 photo of a Trans Pennine Unit!....and whatever location we model, by the 1980s, the majority of passenger services will be DMUs.

However one day in early 1986 I photographed a new Class 150 stabled in the sidings at Sheffield and it dawned on me that this was the future and the first generation units were going to disappear. From then on I started photographing 101s, 105s, 114s etc. Although looking through the photographs most are only labelled "DMU" followed by the date and location. Many times I didn't even know which class I was photographing!

Looking in an old (1986) Motive Power Recognition book I see the remaining 128s were at Reading and Tysley. Not sure if they would have got up to North Wales as it's not an area I'm familiar with, but they are an interesting unit especially when running with an old vb GUV in tow.

Thanks Merf,

A bit before my time period but good enough for me. I might pair mine up with a 108 though I don't have an all blue one.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Alan,

I try not to think about the things I didn't take pictures of back in the day, DMUs being one of them. I quite like them in model form as you say you have to have a few on any layout set in the 80s.

I have a class 150 to do at some point it's in bits at the moment.

A least you managed to get a few pics I have a few myself but no where near as many as I should have.

I think one 128 was based at Chester for a while but that may have been in 85, they did get about a bit but I would think the coast is pushing for my time period a bit but I just wanted one. It doesn't look too out of place.

Cheers Peter.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while but I found the time to take a few pics today. I have weathered up some new Bachmann PCAs and a couple of Hornby PCAs that I have had for a while  to go with some  older Lima PCAs. As far as I know the North Wales Coast didn't have a block cement working but so I will normally run them in the Speedlink service.

I have also painted the exhausts on the class 128 and fitted some better bogies to my Lima parcel vans. More info on my workbench.

I have also updated my Flickr page with some of my pics from my recent UK trip.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-90667100-1403436813_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-23633200-1403436852_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-94981600-1403436895_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-96141300-1403436926_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-38151400-1403436984_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-63229600-1403437020_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10960700-1403437070_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-88551000-1403437088_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Well it's been a while but I found the time to take a few pics today. I have weathered up some new Bachmann PCAs and a couple of Hornby PCAs that I have had for a while to go with some older Lima PCAs. As far as I know the North Wales Coast didn't have a block cement working but so I will normally run them in the Speedlink service.

I have also painted the exhausts on the class 128 and fitted some better bogies to my Lima parcel vans. More info on my workbench.

I have also updated my Flickr page with some of my pics from my recent UK trip.

Cheers Peter.

Very nice indeed, the nearest to cement trains on the N Wales coast was 'Castle Cement' plant at Penyffordd. But I believe, although I will stand corrected, that there used to be a regular run of cement up to the Trawsfynned power station, to serve the plant when it was being de-commissioned!!!! I lived near the route of the Conwy valley line and I used to hear 31's trundelling up there with wagons in tow during the early hours!!!!

Jinty ;-)

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Peter.  

Those old Lima vans don't scrub up too badly.  I still have a few in service myself and despite the obviously non-flush windows the rest is reasonably good.  A dab of black on the destination panels sets them off as I'm sure they and the CCTs had those done as little blackboards to receive chalked (and usually abbreviated) destinations.  My recollection is of the SR ones all marked B/Arms which took me a while to decode as a spotty youth!

• Like 1

When the Traws power station was being decommissioned, what you heard would be the flask trains carrying spent fuel.  No cement trains have run on the branch since the early 1960s when Ffestiniog power station was being built. Presflos back then.

The last regular cement flow down the coast line, was to Bangor when Dinorwic was being built.

Merf.

When the Traws power station was being decommissioned, what you heard would be the flask trains carrying spent fuel. No cement trains have run on the branch since the early 1960s when Ffestiniog power station was being built. Presflos back then.

The last regular cement flow down the coast line, was to Bangor when Dinorwic was being built.

Merf.

That's cleared that up then, thanks Merf.

I used to hear at least one every night in the week back then, so they must of had quite a bit to get rid of?

Jinty ;-)

Nice work Peter.  

Those old Lima vans don't scrub up too badly.  I still have a few in service myself and despite the obviously non-flush windows the rest is reasonably good.  A dab of black on the destination panels sets them off as I'm sure they and the CCTs had those done as little blackboards to receive chalked (and usually abbreviated) destinations.  My recollection is of the SR ones all marked B/Arms which took me a while to decode as a spotty youth!

It didn't drive you B/Army then, Rick?   ;)

I also have a couple of the Lima ones, repainted with new transfers, and they don't stand out at all against the newer and more detailed Bachmann ones - most of the extra detail on the Bachmann model is in the underframes.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

It didn't drive you B/Army then, Rick?

Groan.  Someone's far too sharp for a Monday morning!

Any thoughts about having those little panels painted black?  That's how I remember them and how I have many of mine represented.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they were either black or a very dark grey - probably depending on which workshops painted them.

Edit: Or another thought occurred to me: maybe they appeared grey after the chalk was rubbed off on the previously black background.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff - I was pretty sure I could trust my memory on that.  I also recall that just inside the doorways there were small racks for holding the chalks.  Sometimes - if you were lucky - there was even the stub of a chalk stick on them as well!

• Like 1

I must be unwell or sicking for something "liking" a Diesel Page!

Seriously Peter, good stuff, I can almost smell the fumes, please keep the images coming,

Dave

That's ok Dave, I look at and follow a few steam threads so I wont tell if you don't. Glad you like the pics though.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Rick and Jeff,

Have to agree the windows aren't the best, maybe a job for another day. The chalk boards were painted black on some but others were painted blue. I noticed this when I repainted a few of these a few years back, some were even removed. Paul Bartletts site shows a few plus I have attached a few of my pics. Both taken at Eastleigh. 33003 is shunting in the depot and the first vehicle has no boards and the second has them painted blue. The other pic shows the second vehicle with blue and the third with black.

Hope that helps Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-00990600-1403510169_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17249800-1403510190_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter.  Useful photos as well as clarifying the point about those chalk boards.  Not all of mine have been blackened as yet so I can leave a few as they are namely in "parcels grot" ;)

Thanks Peter.  Useful photos as well as clarifying the point about those chalk boards.  Not all of mine have been blackened as yet so I can leave a few as they are namely in "parcels grot" ;)

No worries Rick, I still have a couple to do so I might even remove the chalk boards  on one.

Cheers Peter.

It's amazing the little details you bring up and remember, great stuff. I seem to remember now you've jogged my memory a few vans on the western had the destination chalked just about anywhere in the general vicinity of the boards !

Vans look great , as do the new cement PCAs btw Pete .

Cheers,

Stu.

Hi Pete,

The PCA's look great by the way, and P H Design does some rather nice replacement etches for both the Vee Tank and the Metalair.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind me posting here, but if he does, I'll remove them.

post-14906-0-94678800-1403548061.jpg

post-14906-0-79317500-1403548086.jpg

Jinty ;-)

• Like 7